New Intel NUC

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Almost 2 years ago I bought a NUC i7 mini-workstation computer (see https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/review-intel-nuc-i-7.351071/#post-2744295). This little 4x4 inch box sat on the back of a monitor doing exactly as I intended for it to do: run a whole bunch of radio programs for about 20 scanners and a Radarbox. Never had a problem with it that I didn't cause.

My only problem with it is that the graphics on it would not provide the amount of screen real estate I would need for some of my projects. I needed a third display as I could not view all my radio programs and the RadarBox at the same time without overlapping windows. The little NUC only had 2 graphics ports, a mini-HDMI and a mini Display Port. I could have daisy-chained a third monitor thru the MDP port but none of the monitors I have support that.

I have been a good boy recently and the CFO of N9JIG Industries (AKA the wife) allowed me to spend a little money. I considered a new monitor to support a daisy chain but that would have been clunky. I have some other plans down the road involving a 50 inch screen above my desk that has yet to be approved but one never knows...

I did a little research into the more current NUC's and found that our local Fry's has a NUC Mini PC in stock with an 8th gen i7 at 3.1 GHz. that supports up to 6 displays, 4K video, 32GB of RAM and has 2 M.2 SSD slots. Since Frys matches competitors (including Amazon) I could get it there and not have to wait the few days it would take to get it from Amazon. I went to the store and got the computer, an SSD (.5 TB M.2) an 32GB of RAM (2 16GB SO-DIMMS). The NUC itself was $700 with a price match from Amazon, the SSD was $100 and the RAM 200 for a total cost of $1000 even plus sales tax. I thought about springing for a larger SSD but I didn't want to push my luck as I had told her I planned on spending less than $500.

I came home and put it all together, installed Windows, ran all the updates, downloaded all the stuff from Intel like the graphics drivers etc. and after a half dozen restarts and a couple hours of waiting for installations and downloads it is all set up and ready to go.

The build was simple, 6 small Allen screws hold the cover on, then a small Phillips screw holds down a shield. Pop that off and then I installed the RAM and SSD then put it all back together. I plugged in my Windows 10 bootable USB drive and installed Windows, ran the updates and installed the drivers. All in all it took about 2 hours.

Tomorrow I will install all the radio programs, like Pro96Com, ProScan, ARC-XT, ARC500, ARC15, ARC536 and ARCPatrol, Pro96Com and the RadarBox software. I will also set up the 2nd and 3rd monitors and try it on my current 50inch 4K TV in the office for grins and giggles (and to see if the wife will let me get another just for this...)

I run 8 BCT15, 4 BCT15X and 2 BCD996XT along with 4 PSR600's in my radio cabinet as well as the RadarBox and a couple other scanners (BCD996P2, BCD536HP, HomePatrol1, HomePatrol2, SDS100 and an SDS200) on my desk and all use one program or another for virtual control and logging.

My initial observations are great. The system was easy to build and set up. It has tons of I/O in a case that measures about 9x5 inches about 1.5 inches tall. On the back there are 4 USB3, 2 Thunderbolt, 2 MDP, 2 1-Gig Ethernet and a full size HDMI port as well as the power and an audio port. The front has 2 USB ports (one with charging current), an SD Card slot, a USB-C, headphone jack and the IR sensor. The processor is an i7-8705G with 4 cores and I supplied 2 16GB RAM SO-DIMS and a .5TB M.2 SATA SSD. I will probably add a second SSD down the road but for now half a TB is more than enough.

After I get all the radio programs installed I will see how the performance is compared to the older NUC or my iMac 5K. This specs out better than both so I am expecting good things. I am not a gamer but I need the horsepower to run a whole bunch of stuff at the same time and support a lot of screen real estate and I think this is going to be the ticket.

More to come!

N9JIG

Sheriff
Day 2 and all is well! On my original NUC I had just installed Windows and it automatically found the drivers etc for the graphics and both monitors worked right away so I never bothered to do any other updates. On the new one (which I discovered is called "Hades Canyon" for some reason probably only known to gamers) I could only get a single monitor working and only on one or the other HDMI port. I could not get either MDP port to work and I didn't have any USB-C type cables around as this is the first computer I own with USB-C.

So after a few restarts and cable swaps I went to Intels site, popped my model number into the search box and found a bunch of downloads for this, including two different graphics support files. Turns out one was from Intel and the other from Radeon, these and a few other goodies were downloaded and installed and viola! I have multi-monitor support, the ability to set different resolutions and more. SO now I have 3 monitors going, the 32-inch Asus and two 27-inch HD monitors (LG and Samsung). If the wife ever allows me to go for the wall monitor I am all set!

N9JIG

Sheriff
Update #2: I got the new NUC connected to the 4K 50-inch TV in my office, works great. I found that 4K is only supported on HDMI port 1 on the TV, currently used for the AppleTV box. I will try swapping them out to see how each looks but so far at 2K the NUC seems to work fine on the big TV. I have had the RadarBox going on it and it looks great that big.

Next is to try out Synergy or some other product to share the mouse and keyboard between my Mac and the NUC.

nanZor

Nice report - I like the NUCs too, and found them easy to update the firmware from the Intel support site if necessary.

My needs are a lot simpler however, just booting Knoppix from a usb stick mostly..

N9JIG

Sheriff
Updates day today! (I updated my Mac Mini report earlier).

I have had the new Hades Canyon NUC for a little over a month now and it has performed flawlessly. It has been running 16 instances of ProScan, 4 of PRO96Com as well as my RadarBox continuously except for a day when Windows Updates caused a restart. I have been using a pair of pretty standard 27 inch HD monitors and occasionally my 50 inch 4K TV and it has had no issues with any of that.

I might go and get another SSD this weekend and use it to experiment with making this into a Hackintosh. If it works I will compare it with my Mac Mini. It might be kind of cool if it works, especially with running Parallels on it. Imagine making a Hackintosh on a Windows machine and running a Windows emulator to run Windows...

My older (smaller) NUC is running fine still, I currently have it set up in the garage since I play out there a lot this time of year. (Too hot to do so in the summer here...).

enCrypt

Hi Rich, how do you physically connect all those radios (18?) to the NUC? USB-C hubs? Do you see any slowness to / from the radios / NUC?

Thanks...

N9JIG

Sheriff
There are 3 USB hubs in the cabinet, One 13-port supports the radios on the left side of the cabinet and the anther 13-port the right.These then plug into the third "Central" hub (7-port) as does the Radar Box. The central hub has a 12 foot cable going out of the cabinet to the NUC.

There is no latency at all and the only issue I have is that I have to remember what USB port the cable is plugged into to avoid the Comm Port numbers from changing.

I could have just plugged one of the 13-ports into the other and eliminated the central hub but I had left room for expansion, and if I do now then the comm port numbers will change on many of the radios and have to be reset.

enCrypt

Cool, ok thanks Rich.
Nice setup, and yes I feel your pain with com port numbers changing with USB slots!

N9JIG

Sheriff
The GRE/RS cables could be set with a utility program to hard-code the comm port number in them so that they do not change when you use a different USB port, I wish there was something like that for the Uniden USB-1 cables I use.

Status
Not open for further replies.