New JNCR Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Joint National Capital Region TRS is reporting a new site.

The US Naval Academy site is peering with a site 005-005 with a control channel of 388.1250MHz. I can't hear this system from northern Calvert County. Anyone else hearing anything here?

marksmith

Not hearing anything in northern AA County.

You are right that it doesn't appear as a site or frequency on RR.

Just guessing, but maybe down closer to DC, like Anacostia area. Looks like that range... maybe a new control channel down there, and someone closer has a radio associating.

Lots of stuff has been associating with Ft Meade and USNA in the past year or so that never seemed to before.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

WG3K

Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Yeah, the affiliations are definitely interesting. I find it very interesting that the Pentagon FPA uses the USNA site even though it is so far away.

On another note, I'm still watching for the system at the Naval Research Laboratories here in Calvert County to start talking. It seems odd to have a low profile system (not much range) with so much capacity (6 channels + control channel) for such a small facility. It's even more odd to have such a system up and running but not peering with anyone else and with no traffic on it.

marksmith

Yeah, the affiliations are definitely interesting. I find it very interesting that the Pentagon FPA uses the USNA site even though it is so far away.

On another note, I'm still watching for the system at the Naval Research Laboratories here in Calvert County to start talking. It seems odd to have a low profile system (not much range) with so much capacity (6 channels + control channel) for such a small facility. It's even more odd to have such a system up and running but not peering with anyone else and with no traffic on it.
I regularly hear the Navy Yard, Walter Reed, Ft Belvoir, PAX River NAS and other places in DC coming over either the USNA or Ft Meade since last summer.

They seem to have opened up the individual sites to associating with radios not from their specific operating areas.

Mark

freqhopping

Just guessing, but maybe down closer to DC, like Anacostia area. Looks like that range... maybe a new control channel down there, and someone closer has a radio associating.

I doubt it. The Tysons site doesn't show it as a peer like it does for pretty much every site within 20 miles.

marksmith

Also might just be a burp in Unitrunker. Would not be the first time something crazy showed up there.

Mark

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I regularly hear the Navy Yard, Walter Reed, Ft Belvoir, PAX River NAS and other places in DC coming over either the USNA or Ft Meade since last summer.

They seem to have opened up the individual sites to associating with radios not from their specific operating areas.

Mark

Having been on the system... that is the way it works. If your radio logs into a TG at a site, that TG is shared with all other sites having someone logged into that TG.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Conditions were extremely good this morning so any observed new stations might have been distant.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Yeah if you have the chance with P25 stuff, Pro96Com tends to be more accurate.

Unitrunker eats bad fish sometimes, and the indigestion is awful.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Site 005-005 has peered with the USNA site for some time now. I guess *someone* needs to get mobile and zero in on a location.

Re: Pro96com. It's too bad the developer hasn't added support for SDR dongles. The new ones are pretty rock solid, and very economical compared to a $300+ scanner. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a new version coming anytime soon (the developer is pretty busy with life it seems.) Maybe someone has "hacked" a method to use SDR dongles with Pro96com?

Status
Not open for further replies.