new live feed is up for Wilbraham PD (Western Mass)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squelchtone

Greetings fellow MA scanner people,

I just put up a live feed for Wilbraham PD, here is the direct link for anyone interested. Wilbraham Police Dispatch

It was fun getting a spare XP PC set up with a dedicated PRO-2036 scanner for this purpose.

For the few times I am not near a real scanner, I can tune in using my iPhone's 5-0 scanner app. Also good to listen to on the web at my office where reception can be a little froggy.

Anyone else here provide MA feeds?

Have a good weekend,
Squelchtone

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I provide several different feeds for the Cape Cod area.

Just my opinion, as I'm also employed in the law enforcement community, but an "unauthorized" feed that is dedicated to just one department might be frowned upon by said department, and exactly for the reason you state in the above, because of the dreaded scanner app that has blown the minds of law enforcement authorities around the world.

My thought is that there is no issue with feeds that scan multiple channels as a would-be perp can't control when the scanner stops on any particular frequency or talkgroup. However, a dedicated feed obviously allows anyone to potentially all of the activity of a department, which for obvious reasons could cause "complications".

I'm just stating an unsolicited opinion based on the info in your post. If your feed covers multiple channels/departments then it's a non-issue. If departments make the decision to provide an "official feed" for broadcast that's their decision, but they may not be happy with one that's unauthorized.

If this is an official feed then I will remove my shoe from my mouth as soon as possible. :)

Squelchtone

I provide several different feeds for the Cape Cod area.

Just my opinion, as I'm also employed in the law enforcement community, but an "unauthorized" feed that is dedicated to just one department might be frowned upon by said department, and exactly for the reason you state in the above, because of the dreaded scanner app that has blown the minds of law enforcement authorities around the world.

My thought is that there is no issue with feeds that scan multiple channels as a would-be perp can't control when the scanner stops on any particular frequency or talkgroup. However, a dedicated feed obviously allows anyone to potentially all of the activity of a department, which for obvious reasons could cause "complications".

I'm just stating an unsolicited opinion based on the info in your post. If your feed covers multiple channels/departments then it's a non-issue. If departments make the decision to provide an "official feed" for broadcast that's their decision, but they may not be happy with one that's unauthorized.

If this is an official feed then I will remove my shoe from my mouth as soon as possible. :)

I appreciate the feedback, but I'm surprised this is raising any eyebrows at all. Half the feeds on RR/Broadcastify are specifically single frequency Police Dispatch for a particular town or city, and most of these feeds are are not official. I understand the need for tactical advantage, but RR/Broadcastify purposefully delays the feeds by 30 seconds for the exact reason. PDs are also well aware that scanners are available to the public and the app honestly isn't going to suddenly make it where we have 50 bank robberies a week because of the apps and feeds being available. For sensitive info or during certain situations PDs can use MDTs, landlines, cell phones, talk-around, and a dept can choose to go APCO25 or even Digital with Encryption, so I think general day to day traffic stops and things of that nature being broadcast are not going to hurt anyone.

I actually thought long and hard before putting the feed up to decide if I wanted to include PD and FD, and decided that I may eventually put up a dedicated Fire feed, but because Fire is constantly talking, sending out tones and page group announcements, and even on my table top scanners, I end up missing PD traffic when something is going on, so I end up listening on manual mode to just the PD.

As a member of this community, I take pride in tinkering with electronics, scanners and computers, and put the feed up for like minded people who are part of this site, certainly not for bad guys to use. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. :/

Squelchtone

KC1UA

Database Admin
No feather ruffling at all. Anyone that takes the equipment and time to dedicate to a feed should receive thanks.

And while I agree that there are alternative manners for sending sensitive information, in the heat of the moment, that's not going to be implemented. Traffic will be on the radio.

I understand the number of single channel feeds. Your post caught my attention as it's in the MA forum. My response was not a criticism nor did it make any suggestions, just opinion. My mind won't change with regards to single channel feed implementation though, so enough said from here. Thanks for making the effort and taking the time to provide a feed, it does require time, effort, bandwidth, and patience.

Squelchtone

Thanks for being a good guy about it, if anything your post has made me think, and that's never a bad thing. It would be cool if the RR software that they provide had selectable delays, if I could I'd put a 1 or 2 minute delay on the feed. Looking at it from your point of view, I don't think the current 30 seconds is enough.

Have a good weekend, happy scanning,
Squelchtone

KC1UA

Database Admin
Ironically, adding a built-in delay prior to streaming the feed is actually in violation of RR's policies. The whole shebang has been debated ad nauseum since the dawn of scanner feeds. Unless I'm missing something the delay we experience now is largely due to internet latency, software, etc.

What I do know is that the implementation of smartphone scanner apps has been both a blessing and a curse. They are fantastic as alternatives for those of us that like to listen when we don't have a scanner available. On the other hand I can't tell you how many times we have investigated cases where scanner apps are found on the phones and devices of those that have been seduced by The Dark Side of the Force... :D

Have a good weekend yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.