New member!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2JCR

Premium Subscriber
Evening all, Been a licensed ham since 2015 and earned my general in 2016. Currently working on my extra! Still consider myself “ wet behind the ears” when it comes to ham and any and all advice it welcome thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmrtek

This site is a good place to start

You may also want to go to Eham.net and qrz.com

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Welcome. Becoming a member of the ARRL is always a good thing. Joining an active radio club is another. Listening to other hams on the air will give you an idea of communications etiquette. Other ham radio sites: The SWLing Post (shortwave mostly but also ham related postings). Hands down the best forums are right here at RadioReference. Enjoy the hobby.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
also working on the extra. but, since i work, it is tough to have the time. but, working allows me to buy nice radios rather than simply read about them. HI HI also, it is good to upgrade and keep the hobby going to keep it from going dead in the water. hope to catch you on HF sometime KD2JCR. 73

N9RMA

Scott... IF you have time; sign up for logging on Lotw and EQSL.. These 2 sites are free and easy to do. Sure makes keeping track of your QSO's nice. 73 from a fellow ham Bob N9RMA

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
Scott... IF you have time; sign up for logging on Lotw and EQSL.. These 2 sites are free and easy to do. Sure makes keeping track of your QSO's nice. 73 from a fellow ham Bob N9RMA

I am signed on EQSL, not lotw however. been wanting to check it out for a long time. use qrz to log my contacts. 73 Bob dit dit

royldean

Roy hows the SatGate doing....

Pretty good. I simplified, though. Now it's a simple 3/4 wave vertical w/radials, about 10ft of coax, and the RTL-SDR/RPi combo. Depending on pass angle/direction, I get anywhere from a few packets a day to upwards of 20 or 30 if both ARISS and PSAT are active.

K2NEC

Evening all, Been a licensed ham since 2015 and earned my general in 2016. Currently working on my extra! Still consider myself “ wet behind the ears” when it comes to ham and any and all advice it welcome thanks
So even though you are already a general I am still going to give you some advice that I found helpful.
-If you are ever going to an event always have the radio you need whether that is dual band or mono band. I also strongly advise that you bring a spare battery and make sure they are both charged. You really do not want to be stuck without comms in the field.
-Listen, listen, listen! The only way you will get more into the hobby is by listening and conversing with everyone! Have multiple repeaters that you regularly go on.
-Try digital. (Some might not agree with this one) If you really want to explore the hobby try the digital modes (DMR, P25, D-Star, System confusion :) ). It is a good way to go around the world and it can come in handy sometimes.
Keep in mind this is just my 2 cents.
73's and I hope to hear you on the air

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
you must mean a USED icom 7300. even with rebate at giggaparts i dont see them that low. there are many used ones out there on QRZ but i have not noticed the prices as i never look at that radio.

KD2JCR

Premium Subscriber
So even though you are already a general I am still going to give you some advice that I found helpful.

-If you are ever going to an event always have the radio you need whether that is dual band or mono band. I also strongly advise that you bring a spare battery and make sure they are both charged. You really do not want to be stuck without comms in the field.

-Listen, listen, listen! The only way you will get more into the hobby is by listening and conversing with everyone! Have multiple repeaters that you regularly go on.

-Try digital. (Some might not agree with this one) If you really want to explore the hobby try the digital modes (DMR, P25, D-Star, System confusion :) ). It is a good way to go around the world and it can come in handy sometimes.

Keep in mind this is just my 2 cents.

73's and I hope to hear you on the air

Thank you very much everyone! All advice is handy and appreciated!!!!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
With the $100 Icom mail-in rebate that applies to purchases made through 12/31/2017, you could buy a new IC-7300 for less than $1000 ($999.95 after rebate) over the Thanksgiving holiday. The prices went back up after the holiday. I suspect that we'll see similar discounts after Christmas. As long as you place your order before the end of the year, the MIR applies.

KC5AKB

Feel free to pm me if you hAve any questions. You might have to make a few more posts to send pm's . Congratulations on the uparade and good luck on the Extra take your time and you will get it.

KD2JCR

Premium Subscriber
Feel free to pm me if you hAve any questions. You might have to make a few more posts to send pm's . Congratulations on the uparade and good luck on the Extra take your time and you will get it.

Thank you very much Raymond

dodgelover93

New ham

Hi all...I just passed my test a %86 so excited i have to register on the industry canadas site before i get a call sign.. just wanted to know what bands I can use.. I believe i got the basic and advanced qualifications...Before I decide on a radio rig what bands can i use thanks ... all comments are appreciated ..73's

Status
Not open for further replies.