New Mexico forum Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD5SPJ

I have only been into SW(and other bands) listening since I got a world radio (Hallicrafters SX-62A about a month ago. I have since gotten into it pretty heavy since then! I now have a Grundig GS450DL, and a G3 for portable listening. I have been a HAM for 12 years, and have been into Cb radio since 1972. I was in the US Army for 10 years, and was an 18B, with a secondary as an 18E although I never worked as an Echo.

I live in the east Mtns and monitor the 720 repeater as well as the mega link sometimes during the day at work.

When I build my next adventure bike (2001 Honda XR400R) and plate it here in NM I am going to install a 2m rig on it as well.

So, hello to all!

Kevin Vaughn

heraldstorm

Premium Subscriber
Wow, looks like this has been dead for quite a while. My name is Kermit, and I've been interested in radios and scanners since I was in High School. I never really did more than listen on the scanner and talk on Citizen's Band, but lately I've been listening to ABQ Public Service on my smart phone, and it drove me to go out and purchase a new scanner (Uniden BCD436HP). Once my son is old enough, I may even try our hand at HAM.

Well, if this gets through the filter, Hi everyone!
-Kermit

rctelles

Premium Subscriber
Rick in ABQ

Hello, I am Rick and in ABQ. I have an interest in electronics in general and computers. I got interested in radio communication from going with my dad into work and seeing PS dispatch on the radio. Mostly used the internet to listen though and all the local public safety channels are now digital so the old RadioShack scanner I have only picks up some ambulance service and other analog frequencies. Im thinking of buying a cheap $30 ham handheld and taking the technical exam. I may also buy a newish scanner if my wallet agrees. Look forward to being part of the community.

ChrisABQ

Chris in Albuquerque

Greetings everyone. Was a scanning hobbyist in my high school days, lived 35 miles from Chicago and built a nice tower to be able to monitor from far away. Used a Pro-2005 back in the day. Because of this forum, I recently bought a BCD436HP w/Provoice upgrade. Thanks to everyone in this forum, and mostly to ABQScan for the live feed that has been so wonderful.

beerzkool

Scanning the Pajarito Plateau since 1995.
Premium Subscriber
I am Ethan, listening in white rock. Thanks to abqscan just picked up a digital scanner to monitor LANL. Also interested in public lands and wildfire scanning.

oodnar

Howdy

Hello all. My name is Randy and I just moved back to the ABQ. Living up in Four Hills. I am a professional geek as well as a hobby geek. I am looking forward to new scanning adventures here.

jcrawfordor

Jesse here, I'm in Albuquerque. I'm an amateur radio operator and I have a few SDRs as well, but I'm currently an apartment dweller so my antennas are pretty limited. I'm particularly interested in digital.

mjm2001

Hi All, Marty from Raton. Grew up around radios and have been scanning since the early 70s with a crystal controlled 8 channel Pace Scanner. Have moved up from there to the newer digital scanners mostly to keep up with the changing technology.

My primary interest is Public Safety and Mil Air. The MilAir started several years ago when the pipeline station I work at in the middle of no where was used by the F-111s out of Cannon AFB for target practice, it was all that metal that made us look good on radar. Any way they would fly over the top of the station at about 500 ft and of course not being prepared would scare the pants off ya. Started listening to mil air and could hear when they would enter the VR route and knew when to expect them.

As the public safety scanning goes everyone is getting away from the old analog systems and going digital so am trying to keep up there. Colfax County SO recently went to DMR and am close enough to Colorado that the P25 and Colorado DTRS is a must have to listen to as well. From my vantage point I am able to listen to a lot of Union County, Harding County, Mora County and some San Miguel County systems.

I also have my Ham license KK5OB.

Rad-1

Premium Subscriber
Tom in Abq Downtown area

Hi Guys,
I just moved to Abq in Jan 2018 and new to the area. I love the food here. I think i was attracted to the red and green chile. I left federal law enforcement in Las Vegas/Henderson Area, NV to be closer to family and my new grand baby. Spent the last 23 years in Vegas/Henderson and tried to follow all of the new trunked systems and changes over the years I originally grew up about 100 miles west of Chicago in a small town located in Northern Illinois off of I-88. I have been a scanner hobbyist for years and primary monitor public safety, railroads, and aviation on occasion. My dad was a fireman in our small town when i was a kid and got me into scanning police and fire with his scanner with the crystals installed. I also remember the Illinois Central Gulf going by my house as a kid and hearing the engineers talk to the brakeman in the caboose. I was always amazed as a kid how this worked and the fact that i could hear things coming from this little black box with red lights. Currently I have a Whistler TRX-2, Uniden BCD436HP and 536HP with Provoice/DMR/and NXDN. I discovered the RadioReference DB several years ago when Lindsey B started it and have been contributing ever since. I think it's a great resource and it's a lot fun trying to discover new systems and channels. Fun hobby! Always available to help our scanning community any way I can. Thanks to all on this forum who have helped me by answering questions and get me started in the area.
-Tom (aka Rad-1)

mrohrbacher

Borg Central Command
Hey folks, I'm Mike, been a member of RR for about 10 years but never really got on all that often. I've been in Public Safety communications for about 18 years in various places. I live in South East NM but travel throughout the state extensively for work. I've been a HAM since about 1995 (KE4VNN), I still keep my '4' call-sign even though I haven't lived in FL for a very, very long time. Just wanted to introduce myself.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Hi Mike! Thanks for checking in. By any chance do you travel through Roswell???

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Do you have the ability to log the sites with Pro96Com and post the info in the other thread?

wmshook13

Premium Subscriber
Hello to all;
I'm Bill, way up here in Colfax County. My wife and I retired from California life about a year and a half ago, and moved to Angel Fire to enjoy mountain living.

My interest in radio goes back to the 1950's when my dad bought me a tune-able crystal kit which I built and mounted on top of a cigar box. You tuned it by moving what was known as a "cat whisker" across an exposed crystal. I was probably about 7-8 years old. In high school I built a 3 stage Superhetrodyne radio in electronics shop class using tubes. In the Navy I was a "Phantom Phixer", maintaining the radar and weapons systems on F-4 II Phantom fighters.

My first exposure to a scanner was when I was about 9-10 years old. I had an Uncle who was part of a small town volunteer fire/police force. He had a 1955 Buick with an 8 channel scanner under the dash. I was immediately hooked to what we were able to hear. In the 1970's my interest in the hobby was re-ignited while playing with my dad's short-wave radio, which had a VHF band, and I heard the LAPD. I went to the nearest Radio Shack (remember those?) to look at scanners. The rest is history as they say.

Over the years I've owned everything from sliders, to crystal sets, to programmables, to DMA digitals. Still have a lot of them in my possession. Some are non-functioning collectables, and others I power up once and a while just to watch 'em go.

Been quite a change coming to New Mexico radio wise. In LA there is so much to listen to. 800Mhz trunks are everywhere, and MotoTurbo is taking over the world! Here VHF & UHF conventional is the norm, with almost no daily radio traffic. My digital radios are sleeping. Although recently Colfax Co Sheriff went MTurbo. I do have fun going to Santa Fe and ABQ, as I'm never without a handheld.

=============================================
CSQ -Bill
One REALLY can never have too many radios...

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone,

Name here is Andrew, live in the Abq area, work at one of the local agencies. Also have my ham radio license (KG5ELE).

I've been listening to scanner since my teen years, thanks to my aunt for getting me into the hobby which I've turned into a career. I listen to everything, rail, milair, public safety. Some days when I get really bored I listen to Taxies, which can be quite entertaining on a Friday night.

My other hobbies are storm chasing and ghost hunting.

Ravenkeeper

Hi,

I’m Chris, I was stationed at Cannon AFB for almost 5 years (1991-1996), and currently live in Commifornia. Would love to go back, if I could find a job that pays what I’m making here.

Status
Not open for further replies.