New Mexico unusual antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I recently spent several days in the "oil patch" of SE New Mexico; Roswell, Artesia, Carlsbad, Brantley Dam, and Loving County Texas.
Didn't see any UFOs or pick up any strange signals.

I saw lots of those cell phone extender antennae that look like black ,oversize, bass drum sticks, on various work trucks.
The cell phone extender antennae consisted of a black thick black plastic can at the top, supported by a thin fiberglass shaft about 36 inched tall.
You just don't see these east of the Mississippi.
Most of the trucks carrying these were large pickups caarying lots of tools; C20s, F450, F550.
Along side some of the trucks I saw, my F250 looked like a baby.

I saw all sorts of different mountings for the cell phone extender antennae.
Most of the antennae were mounted on the metal frame of the screen at the front of the truck bed that protects the glass at the rear of the cab from getting hit and broken.
One truck had the antenna mounted on a 6 inch ball and spring arrangement like you would use for 1/4 wave CB antenna.
I also saw several multiple magnet bases, like you would use for af HF mobile antenna.

From what I saw, there appeared to be three brands of antennae.
All had black colored plastic cans at the top.
One brand had an all black shaft and plastic can.
Another had a white ring on the shaft where the antenna parts screwed together.
The third had a white shaft and was mounted on a mag mount.

On the web, I have seen these cell phone extender kits at around $500 USD.

Do these cell phone extender antennae kits work as well as advertised?

For that amount of money, Iwould want to see major improvement in my cell phone reception.

I also saw quite a few CB antennae that didn't appear to be used as antennae.
They were fiberglass shaft, helically wound, CB antennae, mounted on a truck with a red flag a the top of the shaft and yellow/ lime green X on the flag.
Almost every pickup truck had flag, even if it also had a cell phone extender antenna.
I guess these guys really want to be seen.

I also saw an antenna about nine or ten feet tall, that consisted of two smooth white plastic sections that screwed together in the middle of the shaft.
It had the almost obligatory red flag at the top.
It also had a solid yellow plastic flap shaped like a flag about halfway up the shaft, that had "EpiCor" printed in dark blue on it.
The whole red flag, yellow flag, plastic pipe assembly, was on a mount that fitted into the trailer hitch ball assembly.
It seemed to me this configuration was intended to make mounting and dismounting the antenna quick and easy.

What is EpiCor?

I went to the VLA near Socorro
The VLA folks are really "Hard Core DXers".
They consider any radio source within 17 megaparsecs to be local.
I don't thnk they will be using JT8 any time soon, not when your xmsn turn around times are measured in millenia.
The VLA antenna system is massive.
I mean they have some seriously big antennae.
They are so big that the VLA needs a 17 mile long railroad system just to change the configuration.

On my way from Socorro to Carlsbad, I went thru Artesia.
I don't know what they were cooking at the refinery, but he whole town's smell reminded me of fresh coax.
You know, that smell that hits you when you open a bag with a section 9913 in it.

Passing thru Roswell, I saw the statue of BOB the alien.
Still didn't see any aliens.

Leaving the area, I went south on US285 to Pecos Texas.

I also got caught in a traffic jam that would make the 405 in LA look like child's play.

In Loving County (the least populated county in the USA) at Orla TX, TX State Route 652 intersects US 285.
Four lanes of traffic on 285 get merged into one lane in each direction, then meet two lanes of Rt 652 traffic.
TX DOT installed traffic lights, but failed to turn on the electric to make them work.
I spent two hours trying to get thru this intersection.
The last 100 yards were the worst, it took me over an hour to go the last 100 yards to get thru the intersection.
While waiting to clear this intersection, I heard the most amount of activity, I have ever heard on 2m.
I heard lots of interesting conversations on 2m.
If you charged 25cents for every bad word on the radio, some of the truckers would have run up $5 tabs in just one transmission.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
On the web, I have seen these cell phone extender kits at around $500 USD.

Do these cell phone extender antennae kits work as well as advertised?

For that amount of money, Iwould want to see major improvement in my cell phone reception.

Like most antennas, it's mostly a "placebo" effect. In other words, if a $250 antenna works good, a $500 antenna must work twice as good.

In reality, there's only so much you can do with laws of physics and how they apply to antennas.

Do they work? Probably. Do they work $500 worth, probably not. But these are kits that consist of a bi-directional multiband amplifier and the ungodly monstrosity of an antenna. Usually connected together by the cheapest/smallest coaxial cable you can get, and often power by jamming something in the cigarette lighter socket. So, basically a consumer device installed by the user.

I've noticed over the years that the uglier an antenna is, the more likely people are to buy it. Not sure if it's a "I wanna stand out" thing, or they really think there is some voodoo magic involved.

I also saw quite a few CB antennae that didn't appear to be used as antennae.
They were fiberglass shaft, helically wound, CB antennae, mounted on a truck with a red flag a the top of the shaft and yellow/ lime green X on the flag.
Almost every pickup truck had flag, even if it also had a cell phone extender antenna.
I guess these guys really want to be seen.

Yep, they want to be seen. And that's exactly what they are. While they were big trucks, they pale in comparison to some of the mobile contraptions that wander around strip mines and oil fields. The flags are so they can be seen from the seat of a mine truck or similar vehicle.

I also saw an antenna about nine or ten feet tall, that consisted of two smooth white plastic ...
What is EpiCor?

Probably the same as above.

I don't thnk they will be using JT8 any time soon, not when your xmsn turn around times are measured in millenia.
They are so big that the VLA needs a 17 mile long railroad system just to change the configuration.

I was out there a few years ago on my way from California to San Antonio for some work stuff. I spent probably 2 hours there wandering around looking at everything. Amazing place and well worth the stop. I'd like to take my wife and son through there sometime.

Sort of interesting to be there and hear/see all the antennas move at once.

If you are out that way again, stop in Pie Town (a bit west of there) and get yourself a slice of New Mexico Apple Pie. It's apple pie with green chilies and pinyon nuts. Good stuff.

On my way from Socorro to Carlsbad, I went thru Artesia.
I don't know what they were cooking at the refinery, but he whole town's smell reminded me of fresh coax.
You know, that smell that hits you when you open a bag with a section 9913 in it.

Passing thru Roswell, I saw the statue of BOB the alien.
Still didn't see any aliens.

Went through there too. Interesting little town, wish I'd spent more time there.

When I was traveling through on my way to Texas, I needed a place to camp for the night. Was near Capitan NM and found some BLM land. Followed a dirt road up near a flood control reservoir and spent a really nice evening there sleeping in the back of my truck. It was so peaceful and relaxing, that I made a point to stop in the same place on my return trip. It was raining, but sounded really nice on the shell as I fell asleep. Took some dirt roads out of there up through the gap where the original Smokey T. Bear was found. Ended up out near where the UFO was supposed to have crashed in Roswell, but didn't realize it. Just missed it by a mile.
Had a great time exploring New Mexico, and really looking forward to another trip out that way.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

The "movers" for the antennas are pretty interesting, too.

Just east of there is one of the old AT&T Long Lines microwave sites. There's a dirt road that leads up to it. I've visited a bunch of those over the years. Nice to see how things were done when money was no object.

If you charged 25cents for every bad word on the radio, some of the truckers would have run up $5 tabs in just one transmission.

And exactly why I do not carry a CB in my truck. I wouldn't want my wife to listen to that, but she's from New Jersey and could probably teach them some new ones.
And I certainly don't want my son picking up any of it.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod

J<SNIP>

And exactly why I do not carry a CB in my truck. I wouldn't want my wife to listen to that, but she's from New Jersey and could probably teach them some new ones.
unfortunaetly this was not CB.
2m 147.58Mhz
<snip>.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod

<<Just east of there is one of the old AT&T Long Lines microwave sites.>>

It's still there.
It's being used off and on by some project based at White Sands (that doesn't exist --WINK!WINK!).
Missile tracking??
The VLA (NSF) people get to use it every once in while.
When there is no current White Sands project in process.

<snip>

Status
Not open for further replies.