New Motorola HTs for LAPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine104

Member since 2005
I can't say I know anything about the specs of this radio, but here is a photo of one of the new LAPD Motorola HTs. I know these have been replacing the older Motorola radios for a while now. This photo was posted on one of our LAPD Division's SLO's FaceBook page. He was just issued this radio...
LAPD Radio.jpg

glradio

Premium Subscriber
As issued, the LAPD and LASD APX8000 handhelds cover VHF, UHF, & 700/800 MHz, include Project 25 trunking, and encryption. Motorola gave all the agencies in L.A. County a huge discount on the radios, so you’ll see them popping up in many departments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

allend

Premium Subscriber
What's great about the APX 8000 radio is that these radios will not out grow any of these cities or counties since they are quad band with encryption. Interops too for any agency is key

jjbond

Banned
Banned
What's great about the APX 8000 radio is that these radios will not out grow any of these cities or counties since they are quad band with encryption. Interops too for any agency is key
Motorola never sells something they can't find a way to require replacement for... I'm sure they'll change a soldered on VOCODER or petition to change a standard from say P25 to P26 etc etc... they've done it before...

A good read is the financing agreement for these radios... link below, they weren't gentle on their comments about the other potential supplier, Harris:

http://www.lapdpolicecom.lacity.org/031417/BPC_17-0090.pdf

8000.jpg

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Eesh, they're using the massive hi-cap batteries. My 8000 is definitely power hungry, so I know why they're using the big ones. I bet the older guys are having flashbacks to the Astro Saber days haha.

LAFD received APX8000HXE radios recently as well.

Obligatory picture of my 8000 next to my SDS100. The 8000 is physically smaller than the SDS.

46990144072_11b3b7ee19_b.jpg

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Thats mainly cause they made a decision to either offer 6000 or 8000 and vice versa in mobiles.

allend

Premium Subscriber
The most depressing thing on that site is this........ wow, end of life already, dang time flies... :oops::cry:

View attachment 70885
Keep in mind that the APX 7000 radio was a good radio at the time but it had hardware related issues with a popping noise coming out of the speaker when the amp opened up on the radio. I had one of these radios and even Motorola could not even fix it at the depot. It was a known issue and the strange thing is that the APX 6000 still to this day never had the issue. This is probably why the APX 6000 single band radio is still the work horse just like the XTS5000 radio was and still is. But with the quad band 8000 is the game changer forever and will end up being the long term work horse with four bands. Once you have one of these radios you will never need anything again. Oh and BTW there is no popping amp noise on the 8000. They fixed that problem for good.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Sounds more like Harris didn't test their radios operation required for LAPD prior to testing. It could also been that LAPD gave M more time to tailor the APX to their needs, and in essence work the bugs out before hand. I go with the latter.

So Harris admittedly had a defect and it's still Motorola's fault? Got it.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well LAPD has always gone with Motorola and the whole department had XTS5000 portables. So it probably was a no brainer to stay brand loyal and go with a quad band for growth down the road.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
You bet, when a customer gives preferential treatment to a vendor to fix issues before the test, then yes it is. IF that is what happened, and actually the only state more corrupt than NY or NJ is CA.
I am not defending Mot or Harris, but when the Chief comes out and says they have a preference for one product over another it needs looking into, and if Mot beat Harris on price so be it. This happens with NYPD all the time, they practicaly give the radios away knowing that they will be seen in press and by tourists. That's why they panicked when they lost the bid to Vertex, and went and bought them.

allend

Premium Subscriber
If you watch LIVE PD now on TV you will notice that all officers are using MOTO APX radios now. The Astro XTS line of radios have been phased out. You just don't see Harris out there. Moto has dominated the market.

karldotcom

Didn't they get the big batteries to cover their 12 hour shifts? I remember reading that somewhere. I know there are 3x12s and 4x10 schedules among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.