New MSP Helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrolman123

Got word today from the crew of trooper 4 that the state is the pre stages of planning the purchase of new helicopters. They said that the state police hope that the 2009 fiscal budget will include funds for the purchase of new aircraft.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Let's hope they buy a larger aircraft this time....

CA
Annapolis

troymail

Silent Key
MSP Helo not using patches....

...and speaking of MSP -- I heard one calling AA County Fire Alarm Wednesday night - DIRECT on the TRS... the pilot said he could hardly hear Fire alarm and he advised Fire Alarm that he wanted to go over to the standard patch that is normally used.....

mlevin

maus92 said:
Let's hope they buy a larger aircraft this time....

CA
Annapolis

Larger aircraft means the FD will need to find larger LZs. That might not necessarily be a good thing. I've watched them land in very small parking lots line by trees.

allen5565

*Gach*
We should do like L.A. County. I was in Santa Monica a couple of Summers ago when an old man drove through a local farmer's market, causing scores of serious injuries. L.A. county landed their Seahawk in a school parking lot and loaded, if I recall correctly, four patients plus medics on board. It'll handle anything.

The Sikorsky will cruise at 180 knots, 50% faster than the Bell's 122 kn.
Sikorsky cabin volume - 298 cu ft, Bell 220 cu ft
Seahawk is just about nine feet longer overall, from front tip of main rotor to back tip of tail rotor.
Seahawk has ca. 56% greater fuel capacity than Bell, too.

http://www.sikorsky.com/file/popup/1,,169,00.pdf
http://www.lacofd.org/AirWildland/AirWildlandAirOps.asp
http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/commercial/pdf/412_2006_jan_web.pdf

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Now you're thinking! I think one of the original reasons why the MSP bought the Dauphin was because it is pretty damn fast - something that was important when there were only 6 helicopter bases. I think the civilian model designation for the Blackhawk/Seahawk/Pavehawk is S-76, but I'll have tolook it up to be sure.

CA
Annapolis

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Nope, I'm wrong - but the S-76 would be sweet anyway.... LA must have gotten theirs surplus...

CA
Annapolis

allen5565

Oops. I got my prefixes wrong. I stand by my fantasy of MSP investing in that design, though. They have the premier medivac operation in the country -possibly the world, I don't know- and they should have state-of-the-art equipment to service them. Plus, those birds look cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.