New N.J. Highway Authority Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I would guess APCO 25, since the NJSP are rumored to be working towards that kind of system. Unless they are going to work with the new NJSP system. A quick look at Pinnacle's website shows other systems they have developed. Here is the list, so I guess one can look into what kind of systems these places use.

Pinnacle Wireless communication systems in action:
New Jersey Turnpike Authority/Garden State Parkway
New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority
The Waldorf Astoria
World Trade Center Building #7
Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station, New York
Port Authority of New York/New Jersey
New York City Department of Environmental Protection
Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center
United Airlines
Air Wisconsin
Port Authority of New York & New Jersey

GM

Premium Subscriber
NJTP Authority Radio System

I posted this reply on the Scan-NJ Forum discussion board:

I found this after doing some research on the New Jersey Turnpike Authority's website in the Commissioners Meeting minutes, (page 7, section 155-06) dated July 12, 2006:

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/July-12-06-AGENDA.pdf

My opinion is that the new system will be assigned several TG's on the upgraded State Police TRS when most TG's migrate to digital, P25 mode full-time. It would only make sense to have these freq's move over to/stay at the 800 MHz range for interoperability purposes.

kb2unk

Hello all,

Earlier in the afternoon today (07/14/06), while listening to the NJSP TRS - Troop-C on my BC796D in Forked River, I heard while listening to the "Bass River GSP Troopers", one trooper saying to the other trooper to switch to another channel and the one of the Troopers said they were using "one of those new radios" and that they didn't know if they could "switch over to that channel, because they didn't think that they had "that channel in their radio yet. They also said... "yes, I'm using one of these new radios". So, it sounds like to me that they are already starting to use the new radios already and it was in the standard Motorola Type-II 800mhz TRS format, TalkGroup (26960) where I heard this clear voice activity earlier today. I'm assuming it was a mobile, but who knows, it may have been a portable too? So, I'd say for sure that something is certainly in the works here lately! I'll keep everyone posted as to what I hear pertaining to new radios and please do so back to me and for all of us others here in the Garden State! Thanks.

Last edited:

AVL

i have friends that work form that autority and they said the new radios are analog trunk in time they will possably go to apco 25 i have one freq that is active in my area because im near one of their towers 852.7375 is a roadway maintance freq heard during roadway operations and the state police can sometimes be heard on the channel during emergrncies. they can tap into that freq

Joseph11

This is information from a GSP units mobile from the late 90's.

866.3125 S - 09-TA - PL 192.8 Hz
851.3375 R - PKY OPP1 - PL 151.4 Hz
852.1625 R - PKY OPP2 - PL 151.4 Hz
852.7375 R - PKY MNT1 - PL 151.4 Hz
853.8625 R - PKY MNT2 - PL 151.4 Hz

GM

Premium Subscriber
GSP/NJTP Radio System

To clear up some misconceptions & correct a few things, this is what I gather from my research:

The current freq's that are a part of the discussion are the following:

GSP
853.8625 PL 151.4 GSP Maintenance/Road Crews
852.7375 PL 151.4 GSP (repeats above freq. along certain parts of the Highway)
852.1625 PL 151.4 GSP Tow Trucks/State Police Back-Up Repeater
851.3375 PL 151.4 GSP (repeats above freq. along certain parts of the Highway)

NJTP
159.1800 PL 131.8 (I/P 156.1800 PL 131.8) NJTP Maintenance Crews
453.8750 PL 131.8 NJTP Tow Trucks/Road Service

Yes, these freq's are currently analog. From what I can gather through various sources (interviews in newspapers, news reports, etc.) the NJ Turnpike Authority wants to create a new system that can achieve interoperability between the GSP & NJTP so that both highways can communicate smoothly on the same radio. With three different bands in use, it becomes a debacle to communicate to the other highway going through the various dispatch centers. This is why the NJTA wants to go both digital & on the same band the NJSP is on. They also want to control the traffic advisory signs with this new radio system somehow (I don't know the specifics on it [microwave vs. fiber optic lines] or what the impact will be). Since the radios are 15-30 yrs. old, & since they are in need of a complete overhall (individual radios, repeaters dropping signals, poor audio quality, etc.), the NJTA figures kill two birds w/ one stone & go digital with all new equipment, that will last them for the next 15-30 yrs. I am not sure if the new freq's will be conventional P25 or if they will have several P25 talkgropus on the NJSP TRS, once it goes digital on a more full-time basis. We shall wait & see what develops over time.

If anyone reads my research in a different way, pleaes let me know. This is how I have interpreted the data that has been thrown at me.

ctrabs74

GM said:
Since the radios are 15-30 yrs. old, & since they are in need of a complete overhall (individual radios, repeaters dropping signals, poor audio quality, etc.), the NJTA figures kill two birds w/ one stone & go digital with all new equipment, that will last them for the next 15-30 yrs. I am not sure if the new freq's will be conventional P25 or if they will have several P25 talkgropus on the NJSP TRS, once it goes digital on a more full-time basis. We shall wait & see what develops over time.

At a bare minimum, there should at least be a patch between the Turnpike Authority system and the NJSP system. The rationale is that State Police Troop D (Turnpike) and E (Parkway) are already on the existing state TRS. Assuming that the NJTA is going ahead with a separate system, either (1) you're going to need a patch between the two systems or (2) the NJSP Troop D/E TGs are going to have to migrate to the NJTA system.

GM

Premium Subscriber
NJ TP/GSP Radio Tower

Just traveled Rt. 9 North past the former NJ Highway Authority HQ - noticed that there is a large radio tower in the process of being constructed on the south side of the former GSP HQ. It appears that this will be twice as large as the one currently standing on the north side of the building (not sure though). Should be interesting to see what will be broadcasted off of this. Maybe this is a part of the "new" system that was talked about last year, with digital capability in the near future. Stay tuned...

NJ_radio_guy

railtrailbiker said:
A new 250 foot tall tower will also be installed just south of the Bloomfield SP barracks.
Both of the new towers at Bloomfield and Woodbridge will in part support the new NJTA radio system...

Last edited:
C

comsec1

220 mhz ?

I thought I heard it somewhere it was going to be in the 220 mhz.

NJ_radio_guy

elk2370bruce said:
Nope! 220 is more often amateur radio. Have not seen any French Blues on that neck of the RF woods ever.
You seem pretty sure about that... hide and watch! ;)

GM

Premium Subscriber
Huh? 220 Mhz!? What! Well, I can say this: I passed by the former GSP HQ building in Woodbridge yesterday and the new radio tower is up with the blinking warning light on top, but no antennas yet. I guess I'll have to do a search in the FCC database for these 220 Mhz freq's. Interesting....

Tech792

I remeber seeing a handfull of 220 freqs licensed to the NJ Highway Auth or State Police a few years ago but now I can't find them. The only ones I see now are for the NJ Sports & Expo Auth in Meadowlands and Oceanport.

Last edited:

PJH

Premium Subscriber
HAM's do have some specturm in 220, but not all of it. Commerical is the other user of 220, and public safety got some not too long ago.

fineshot1

Not 100% sure but I think it goes like this:

219.0000 - 220.0000 Amateur Point to Point
220.0000 - 222.0000 Commercial ACSB Repeater Systems
222.0000 - 225.0000 Amateur Simplex & Repeater Pairs

I think the hams are secondary users except between 222-225.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.