• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

New NC Corrections NXDN systems?

NathanJ

Premium Subscriber
I saw that in the weekly update as well.

So much for interoperability, even among state users/agencies. Let’s not forget the plethora of NCDOC VIPER TGs available as well.

IMHO, if new radios were a need, then perhaps APX4000s could’ve considered and utilizing some of the 700/800 MHz simplex freqs while on a given prison camp?

So much for interoperability, even among state users/agencies. Let’s not forget the plethora of NCDOC VIPER TGs available as well.

IMHO, if new radios were a need, then perhaps APX4000s could’ve considered and utilizing some of the 700/800 MHz simplex freqs while on a given prison camp?

Because why should the government ever try to save money.

had a guy that works in a local prison try to tell me that the 800MHz radios wouldnt penetrate the walls inside the prison. needless to say theres a local tower within a mile or 2 of the prison. yet they can use low powered VHF radio systems around the prison...

NathanJ

Premium Subscriber
had a guy that works in a local prison try to tell me that the 800MHz radios wouldnt penetrate the walls inside the prison. needless to say theres a local tower within a mile or 2 of the prison. yet they can use low powered VHF radio systems around the prison...
Yep. I’m sure others exist but head over to the NC Database and take a view at the Nash Co and. Asheboro DOT VIPER towers.

So much for the reliability of a random guy who works for a local prison knowing very much about RF engineering.

thecop

Premium Subscriber
New Hanover County Jail NEXEDGE:
154.665 - Primary
155.260 - Spervisors
Although I know for a fact that these frequencies are correct, I’ve not yet been able to monitor them. Might be simplex.

Take the MSRP of APX4000's, times the number of radios in the DOC prisons, (approx. 18,0000 radios) and what do you have? A very very big number, for just radios. Not even starting to think about about penetration of VIPER into all DPS prison buildings, or coverage in the extremely rural areas of some of the facilities. Or a bunch o' other questions that enter into the decision.

Or you upgrade all existing systems to NXDN for maybe $7 million, give or take a little.

Interoperability barely moves the needle of the care-meter in this discussion.

BTW, I hate the word 'plethora'

Last edited:

NathanJ

Premium Subscriber
Take the MSRP of APX4000's, times the number of radios in the DOC prisons, (approx. 18,0000 radios) and what do you have? A very very big number, for just radios. Not even starting to think about about penetration of VIPER into all DPS prison buildings, or coverage in the extremely rural areas of some of the facilities. Or a bunch o' other questions that enter into the decision.

Or you upgrade all existing systems to NXDN for maybe $7 million, give or take a little.

Interoperability barely moves the needle of the care-meter in this discussion.

BTW, I hate the word 'plethora'

So your saying the plethora of current radios in state DOC is NXDN upgrade capable? Wouldn't require a plethora of cash to upgrade to a Kenwood NX radio? Then why not stay with what the state can handle from the VIPER level?

So your saying the plethora of current radios in state DOC is NXDN upgrade capable? Wouldn't require a plethora of cash to upgrade to a Kenwood NX radio? Then why not stay with what the state can handle from the VIPER level?
No. I'm not saying that. You may be inferring I'm saying that, but you're errr, mistaken. The current crop of radios in state DOC is simply the current crop of radios within the DOC. I'm not at all saying they're NXDN upgrade capable.

Upgrading all the DOC radios to NXDN will require a large amount of cash.

But changing to APX4000's for use by everyone in all the DOC facilities (remember, I said about 18,000 radios) will require a substatially larger amount of cash, based on the MSRP of an APX4000. And that does not even consider coverage of the VIPER system into and out of the facilities; whether VIPER can penetrate deep into concrete and steel buildings, or provide coverage to some of the rural operations.

I'm sure there could be a way to figure out how far VIPER towers are from prisons. Certainly not in my cards to do, esp. after 11:00 PM. I've got other more important things to do.

How many TG's does DOC have on the VIPER System? Will that be enough to support all their operations?

Lots of other questions....

Last edited:
To add on to what kb4mdz stated on p25 penetration, When I was at the Durham County Sheriff's Office, if a deputy went to FCI Butner, they would lose service the moment they walked into the door. The closest tower on that system is 4-5 miles, give or take(line of site) away. I can not say now days, Marshall could possibly answer that question.