New NC Corrections NXDN systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyham

I saw that in the weekly update as well.

So much for interoperability, even among state users/agencies. Let’s not forget the plethora of NCDOC VIPER TGs available as well.

IMHO, if new radios were a need, then perhaps APX4000s could’ve considered and utilizing some of the 700/800 MHz simplex freqs while on a given prison camp?

So much for interoperability, even among state users/agencies. Let’s not forget the plethora of NCDOC VIPER TGs available as well.

IMHO, if new radios were a need, then perhaps APX4000s could’ve considered and utilizing some of the 700/800 MHz simplex freqs while on a given prison camp?

Because why should the government ever try to save money.

reconrider8

had a guy that works in a local prison try to tell me that the 800MHz radios wouldnt penetrate the walls inside the prison. needless to say theres a local tower within a mile or 2 of the prison. yet they can use low powered VHF radio systems around the prison...

Flyham

had a guy that works in a local prison try to tell me that the 800MHz radios wouldnt penetrate the walls inside the prison. needless to say theres a local tower within a mile or 2 of the prison. yet they can use low powered VHF radio systems around the prison...

Yep. I’m sure others exist but head over to the NC Database and take a view at the Nash Co and. Asheboro DOT VIPER towers.

kb4mdz

So much for the reliability of a random guy who works for a local prison knowing very much about RF engineering.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
New Hanover County Jail NEXEDGE:
154.665 - Primary
155.260 - Spervisors
Although I know for a fact that these frequencies are correct, I’ve not yet been able to monitor them. Might be simplex.

kb4mdz

Take the MSRP of APX4000's, times the number of radios in the DOC prisons, (approx. 18,0000 radios) and what do you have? A very very big number, for just radios. Not even starting to think about about penetration of VIPER into all DPS prison buildings, or coverage in the extremely rural areas of some of the facilities. Or a bunch o' other questions that enter into the decision.

Or you upgrade all existing systems to NXDN for maybe $7 million, give or take a little.

Interoperability barely moves the needle of the care-meter in this discussion.

BTW, I hate the word 'plethora'

Last edited:

Flyham

Take the MSRP of APX4000's, times the number of radios in the DOC prisons, (approx. 18,0000 radios) and what do you have? A very very big number, for just radios. Not even starting to think about about penetration of VIPER into all DPS prison buildings, or coverage in the extremely rural areas of some of the facilities. Or a bunch o' other questions that enter into the decision.

Or you upgrade all existing systems to NXDN for maybe $7 million, give or take a little.

Interoperability barely moves the needle of the care-meter in this discussion.

BTW, I hate the word 'plethora'

So your saying the plethora of current radios in state DOC is NXDN upgrade capable? Wouldn't require a plethora of cash to upgrade to a Kenwood NX radio? Then why not stay with what the state can handle from the VIPER level?

kb4mdz

So your saying the plethora of current radios in state DOC is NXDN upgrade capable? Wouldn't require a plethora of cash to upgrade to a Kenwood NX radio? Then why not stay with what the state can handle from the VIPER level?

No. I'm not saying that. You may be inferring I'm saying that, but you're errr, mistaken. The current crop of radios in state DOC is simply the current crop of radios within the DOC. I'm not at all saying they're NXDN upgrade capable.

Upgrading all the DOC radios to NXDN will require a large amount of cash.

But changing to APX4000's for use by everyone in all the DOC facilities (remember, I said about 18,000 radios) will require a substatially larger amount of cash, based on the MSRP of an APX4000. And that does not even consider coverage of the VIPER system into and out of the facilities; whether VIPER can penetrate deep into concrete and steel buildings, or provide coverage to some of the rural operations.

I'm sure there could be a way to figure out how far VIPER towers are from prisons. Certainly not in my cards to do, esp. after 11:00 PM. I've got other more important things to do.

How many TG's does DOC have on the VIPER System? Will that be enough to support all their operations?

Lots of other questions....

Last edited:

overtheair

To add on to what kb4mdz stated on p25 penetration, When I was at the Durham County Sheriff's Office, if a deputy went to FCI Butner, they would lose service the moment they walked into the door. The closest tower on that system is 4-5 miles, give or take(line of site) away. I can not say now days, Marshall could possibly answer that question.

GMB951

Premium Subscriber
I'm waiting on all these Viper Tags to become active i.e. state parks /prisons etc. it must be a money thing

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Got my first (all be it very short) hit on the Raleigh Central Prison NXDN96 system, while doing a spectrum search near the downtown area it popped up. Using RAN 1 on freq 453.050 (license WRDB309) someone calling "Officer" so and so in clear.

Screenshot 2019-06-15 21.53.21.png

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like I'm only hearing one side of the conversation, and only one frequency. Also not logging any talk groups, or talkgroup 0. Receiveng traffic on both systems I entered (NXDN(c) and NXDN(d), which just have to do with formating of RID and TGID. Logs from overnight are attached.

Attachments

• NXDN-Recordings.pdf
    217 KB · Views: 16
  • NXDN-TRXTraffic-20190616.pdf
    235 KB · Views: 13

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like I'm only hearing one side of the conversation, and only one frequency. Also not logging any talk groups, or talkgroup 0. Receiveng traffic on both systems I entered (NXDN(c) and NXDN(d), which just have to do with formating of RID and TGID. Logs from overnight are attached.
A visit to across the street from the prison allowed me to hear both sides of the conversation, however I'm not seeing any Talkgroup information, since it's programed as a wildcard all its saying is wildcard, no associated TG number. As this is in testing stage maybe they aren't running on a trunked system yet, just single channel.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber

It's possible those using nxdn have a NX 5200 with nxdn, p25 and trunking enabled. They may be interoperable but other agencies may have issue unless dispatch is provided with hardware to monitor them and relay or a patch is made on a p25 tg from the nxdn. Seen it occur other places before.

Status
Not open for further replies.