New nfm marine channel sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocoder

I was wondering if we could have a sticky available for monitoring the new narrow marine channels that are found to be active?
Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
somewhere i read that marine was eventually going to transition to NXDN?

ITU is suggesting that eventually they want Marine VHF to use 6.25KHz channels. That limits them to digital.

No mention of NXDN or any other specific mode in the ITU documents.

And I think it'll be a while before we get there, right now, just 12.5KHz analog to squeeze some more channels in.

nd5y

If anybody is even making digital or narrowband marine radios yet (not to be confused with AIS or DSC) I haven't seen them.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If anybody is even making digital or narrowband marine radios yet (not to be confused with AIS or DSC) I haven't seen them.

Not that I've seen, however…
Not to confuse the NXDN comments above, but Kenwood has applied and received Part 80 certifications on most of their VHF commercial radios. The NX-700 and NX-210's all have it.
Of course Part 80 doesn't say anything about digital on VHF yet, not sure if it even includes 12.5kHz channels yet.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
ITU is suggesting that eventually they want Marine VHF to use 6.25KHz channels. That limits them to digital.

No mention of NXDN or any other specific mode in the ITU documents.

And I think it'll be a while before we get there, right now, just 12.5KHz analog to squeeze some more channels in.

That is what ALL VHF is supposed to go eventually. Thus ALL VHF going digital. Hence railroads actually being ahead of everyone else in a way by choosing NXDN, and moving at least somewhat on getting radios installed, and having some use already, etc... Marine is going to take much longer to transition, as this is unlike US railroads, worldwide in scope. But something tells me there is going to be some movement on the production of NXDN, and DMR marine radios by 2020. What gets finally settled on, who knows yet?

vocoder

Maybe marine channels should still have some analog in the future still. Digital is a hear it or not hear it concept. At least with analog, you have a hear it "somewhere in the middle" also. Though there might be noise or static, you might have a chance at a mayday, even if close to out of range. Analog offers some longer distance communications in this case. With digital, it is all or nothing.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Once the next wave of narrowbanding hits and VHF goes to 6.25 spacing, there is no analog anymore. Analog will not work with that narrow of spacing. ONLY digital can allow that spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.