New Pro2096 in LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

jball171

So I got a free pro2096 that someone tried to program for my grandparents several years ago, it never picked anything up for them and once I got them started with the scanner radio app they were happy to part with the 2096. My question is if there's anybody in the LR or central Arkansas with the programming cable and database willing to help me out with programming it? I've got so many motorola ribless cables for handhelds that the last thing I want is to buy another programming cable...

safetyobc

You can get the cable on eBay (I just did a search and found one).

The Pro2096 will be good for analog but won't work on AWIN now that they are P25 Phase 2.

jball171

Well that answers that. Since everybody is going awin now I guess I'll bite the bullet and get a psr-800...

Thank you.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Needs to be Phase 2 capable at this point. E.g. Uniden 535 or SDS-100 or one of the later model Whistler scanners are examples.

The models on this page are all Phase 2 capable, though I'm not saying you should or should not purchase from ScannerMaster: https://www.scannermaster.com/Digital_P25_Phase_II_Scanners_s/708.htm

I wouldn't purchase a phase 1 only capable scanner at this point unless you are ready to replace it in 12-24 months.

DJ11DLN

Needs to be Phase 2 capable at this point. E.g. Uniden 535 or SDS-100 or one of the later model Whistler scanners are examples.

The models on this page are all Phase 2 capable, though I'm not saying you should or should not purchase from ScannerMaster: https://www.scannermaster.com/Digital_P25_Phase_II_Scanners_s/708.htm

I wouldn't purchase a phase 1 only capable scanner at this point unless you are ready to replace it in 12-24 months.
PSR-800 is p.2 capable even without a trip to Whistler for upgrade, though that would be well worth the price.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Hmm ok. I didn't remember them being Phase 2 but I'm not a huge fan of the GRE/RS/Whistler format (though I have some) so that's probably why. Scanner tech has improved quite a bit IMHO so I'd consider the Uniden 436/536 or SDS100 as well beyond the 800...but that's just me. Again, I forgot or didn't realize the 800 would do phase 2 so it'll work then.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Well that answers that. Since everybody is going awin now I guess I'll bite the bullet and get a psr-800...

Thank you.

Keep in mind that some of the police in LR and NLR area are encrypted, too. Just something to consider. Plenty of other stuff on AWIN to listen to, don't get me wrong, but you might as well be aware of that going in.

DJ11DLN

Hmm ok. I didn't remember them being Phase 2 but I'm not a huge fan of the GRE/RS/Whistler format (though I have some) so that's probably why. Scanner tech has improved quite a bit IMHO so I'd consider the Uniden 436/536 or SDS100 as well beyond the 800...but that's just me. Again, I forgot or didn't realize the 800 would do phase 2 so it'll work then.

No sweat. Everybody has their prefs. I'm more partial to GRE/Whistler but they all get the job done. I think a lot of it depends on what you learned on, I got back into scanning a few years back with a Pro-18; if I'd got a Uniden I probably wouldn't get nearly the migraine programming my 436 gives me.

But I think the 800 was actually the first p.2 scanner out there, that beta firmware/DSP GRE dropped right before they quit making scanners. And it can be updated to WS-1080 spec by Whistler for $60 so it would make a great budget/entry level radio. The upgrade gets it DMR as well, and I might be mistaken but I was thinking that part of the world has a fair bit of DMR the OP could then also hear.

jball171

I was really just looking to get it up and running as something to do, but with all the Motorola radios I already have laying around I didn't want to get too far into it. Most of today was spent looking (unsuccessfully) for a ribless ht1250 cable I bought in 2016 and apparently lost after pulling the code plugs one time. On the bright side, I found my gm380 and gp340ex's and cables... forgot all about those.

I listen, not talk. Did enough talking in the AF to want to do much of it now.

On a side note, anybody have the 2.5mm cable for a motorola cp200? Welspun uses them and I can pull a code plug if I can find the cable.

k5wc

If your just wanting to get up and listening, just program a AWIN control channel in that is close by and make sure you have open mode turned on. Still plenty of stuff to listen to. It will just display the TGID number. I have mine on right now with the Lonoke AWIN tower as I type.

weather4ar

2096 not good for AWIN? Hogwash!

You can get the cable on eBay (I just did a search and found one).

The Pro2096 will be good for analog but won't work on AWIN now that they are P25 Phase 2.

I'm in the LR Metro and my 2096 operates normally in open mode. AWIN, Conway/Faulkner County Trunk, & everything I have been listening to for years are fine. All digital fire traffic, Sheriffs, ASP, ADEM, NWS. MEMS, are in the clear. Phase 2 talk groups may be coming, but so far, they've had little if any effect on the 2096 as yet. Other analog freqs aviation, railroads, etc, are performing normally. LR & Western Railroad's base at Perry, is the only RR freq in the area that is NXDN that the 2096 doesn't decode anyway. I don't know what you're basing your comments on, but it is not correct. Encrypted TG's aren't accessible anyway, NLRPD. LRPD, & Conway PD have been encrypted, but everything else is fine. I use mine every day, jball171, once you get it programmed, turn it on and listen, it's still got many years left for you to enjoy!

Last edited:

weather4ar

Thank you.

Not so fast! There are plenty of county agencies that are on VHF & UHF that the 2096 can handle. Some small Sheriffs, Fire Departments. & Cops are encrypted digital on VHF & UHF, but not all are. Keep in mind on AWIN, the ASP, MEMS. ADEM, Sheriffs & Fire Departments are still dispatched in the clear, and the encrypted sheriffs on VHF & UHF are also on AWIN and in the clear. As far as major cities on AWIN. Russellville, LR & NLR Police are encrypted, but Fire Departments & MEMS are all in the clear. Also Conway PD is encrypted, but Fire & MEMS are digital & in the clear. Don't spend the money just yet. Try what you've got and add the newer radio only if you need it. Use open mode and scan conventionally and you'll be fine..

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Phase II data has begun use on the newest sites on the AWIN, so yes actually spend the money on an scanner that can do Phase II P25. Yes spend the money on an DMR and NXDN capable scanner if you are going to monitor in AR. Sorry but just being real with you here. Phase II voice will be in use faster than you think. The first year of the five year upgrade plan for AWIN is gone and Master Sites, and the newest sites that just came online are passing TDMA data. More and more of the VHF and UHF users are quickly adding DMR or NXDN usage. Again not trying to panic you, just keeping it real.

weather4ar

Phase II data has begun use on the newest sites on the AWIN, so yes actually spend the money on an scanner that can do Phase II P25. Yes spend the money on an DMR and NXDN capable scanner if you are going to monitor in AR. Sorry but just being real with you here. Phase II voice will be in use faster than you think. The first year of the five year upgrade plan for AWIN is gone and Master Sites, and the newest sites that just came online are passing TDMA data. More and more of the VHF and UHF users are quickly adding DMR or NXDN usage. Again not trying to panic you, just keeping it real.

No panic from me either. I listen to everything I listed previously everyday, and I haven't made any changes, other than locking and unlocking control channels for normal scanning. I'm staying real and also going by actual daily experience rather than going solely with online reported trends. I'll buy a new scanner if and when I actually need it but not before.

Last edited:

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
No panic from me either. I listen to master sites everyday, and I haven't made any changes, other than locking and unlocking control channels for normal scanning. I'm staying real and also going by actual daily experience rather than going solely with online reported trends. I'll buy a new one if and when I actually need it but not before.

AWIN themselves have been posting notices of the upgrades taking place so it isn't just rumors and speculation. No, no need to have a Phase II scanner until Phase II is in use but if/when things are disappearing from Phase I (and they will) everyone just needs to know why or what happened. That's all he was saying.

weather4ar

AWIN themselves have been posting notices of the upgrades taking place so it isn't just rumors and speculation. No, no need to have a Phase II scanner until Phase II is in use but if/when things are disappearing from Phase I (and they will) everyone just needs to know why or what happened. That's all he was saying.

I get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.