New Provo/BYU TRS Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
I spent a day in Provo during my recent Utah trip and logged the following TGs that are not listed:

1552 No good info

18112 Discussion of setting up "ballroom" for social event including a "sound check"
"Over to Quinn, but I'll be in the garden court if you need me"

19152 No good info

43376 Guy: The Question is "Is it ever REALLY okay to smoke?"
Girl: Did you want me to ask the patron that?
Guy: Oh no no no no no no no. Dont. :lol:

Sounds a lot like BYU, eh? Has anyone else heard these TGs?

-Tim

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I show 4 hits on TG 18112, and the others are no hits in my Trunker file. I wonder if there was any "special" activity at BYU that day?

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
This is interesting... My old list show TG 18112 as "Utah CEM CH 1".

This traffic sounds nothing like an Emergency Management channel, so this has likely been reassigned.

I show no hits for this month on this one...

qlajlu

Silent Key
My dusty list of old TGs shows 18112 as Utah Emergency Management, also.

TG 1552 was listed as Salt Lake Airport Security/Electronics. My dusty list goes back to 2001 when trunking was being introduced and being made usable for the upcoming Olympics the following year. I now have TG 1552 crossed out in my records, but I don't remember what prompted me to do that or when.

I have no record at all of TG 19152 in my list but it falls within a block of UDOT TGs (my dusty list has a gap between 18944 - UDOT Region 1 Dispatch, and 19232 - UDOT SLC East, downtown).

TG 43376 is above where my dusty list ends and I have nothing on it elsewhere.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Provo/BYU TRS

The TGs I posted in this thread are for the Provo/BYU TRS, not UCAN. There's no correspondence between those two systems, is there?

-Tim

qlajlu

Silent Key
theaton said:
The TGs I posted in this thread are for the Provo/BYU TRS, not UCAN. There's no correspondence between those two systems, is there?

-Tim
I have wondered about that, too. I can't help but wonder if there is not some sort of collaboration between all the engineers because looking at UCAN, the Airport TRS, and AC33 there are no duplicate TGs issued. Of course, when trunking first came they were using everything they could get their hands on for transmitters and I know that the airport TRS was a part of the overall system because that is where I could receive the SLSO during the Olympics. After UCAN got more towers I lost the SLSO and had to reprogram my scanners.

This makes me think that the other TRSs around will attempt to form their TGs around UCAN so as not to have any chances of a crossover mistake. Just my take on the situation.

nolesen1

Provo Boy here, From what i listen to is the BYU talk grups are pretty much just byu- catering, events, maintiance, ect.. Im looking forward to listiing in on the now much debated stadium of fire. ( since there is now no way in hell i can afford tickets to see a 14 year old girl sing. ) sigh......

BYU PD has moved to the UCAN system. I acutly heard them talk today, (complaining about the lines to the box office.)

Hope this helps.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Byu

nolesen1 said:
BYU PD has moved to the UCAN system. I acutly heard them talk today, (complaining about the lines to the box office.)
Was that on TG 42752? If BYU or Provo City starts making more use of UCAN, then we need to start confirming the talkgroups. There are several question marks on UCAN's Provo group.

-Tim

nolesen1

I can confrim that provo PD Dispatch is on tg 45120 on the UCAN system.

Next time is see a BYU officer ill ask him/her what Talkgrup they use (if he knows.)

If i get a chance over the next few weekends i can run the scanner (at work) thru my pc and let it record utah county traffic. Biggest problem is I only work on the weekends duing the day. sooo...

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
qlajlu said:
theaton said:
I have wondered about that, too. I can't help but wonder if there is not some sort of collaboration between all the engineers because looking at UCAN, the Airport TRS, and AC33 there are no duplicate TGs issued. Of course, when trunking first came they were using everything they could get their hands on for transmitters and I know that the airport TRS was a part of the overall system because that is where I could receive the SLSO during the Olympics. After UCAN got more towers I lost the SLSO and had to reprogram my scanners.

This makes me think that the other TRSs around will attempt to form their TGs around UCAN so as not to have any chances of a crossover mistake. Just my take on the situation.
Sorry for the late follow-up here, but I noticed that the SCIP 2007 document describes a special relationship between the UCAN & SLC trunked systems with no mention of any such relationships with other systems:

"All PSAP dispatch centers are assigned to one of three zones. Dispatch centers operating within the UCAN 800 MHz network footprint are assigned to Zone A and have the ability to share trunked and conventional communications resources with each other. Salt Lake City dispatch and all trunked and conventional communications resources connected to the Salt Lake City network are designated Zone C. Resources from zones A and C are interconnected through the Omni-Link audio bridge. Zone B includes all PSAP dispatch centers and communications resources located in regions outside the UCAN network footprint." (p. 43).

It fails to mention the Airport system (unless it's considered part of the Salt Lake City system). BYU Police (p. 82) and Provo Police (p. 85) are listed as a Dispatch Centers, but there's no mention of their shared TRS in the entire document. So we need to check carefully whether they're drawing TG numbers from a common pool. A duplicate number assigned to different entities would reveal that.

-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.