New Psr 500 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1

Premium Subscriber
I Have Been Using Scanners All My Life And Have Good Fimiliarity With The Radio Shack Versions. I Live In Bethelehem ,wheeling Wv. Does Anyone Have Detailed Information About This Psr 500 Radio , That Would Be Willing To Help Me Understand The Best Ways To Program It And Whare I Can Get Updategd Frequencies For The West Va. Stat Police In Ohio Co.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi Paul,

Click on the Database link at the top of this site and then drill down to West Virginia, then the county you want (or Statewide if you like). Click here for WV State Police freqs.

You'll find all the frequencies you'll need in the RR DB.

As for programming the PSR-500, you should consider purchasing Win500 ( http://www.starrsoft.com ) or PSREdit ( http://www.psredit.com ). They both have free trials. Download them, install them, try them out. They are great programs to use for programming your scanner.

Of course, if you really want to make best use of the data in the RadioReference database (such as importing whole working trunked systems into Win500 or PSREdit to upload to your scanner), then you'll need a RadioReference Premium Subscription. I don't know what the going rate is, but if you really want to make it much easier to program your scanner with the trunked systems you want to listen to, you'll want a Premium Subscription. Note: A Premium Subscription is not required to just view the RR Database and make use of the frequencies you find. It is only needed if you want to be able to access the DB from within PSREdit, Win500 or ARC-500 to program your scanner.

Anyway, get some of those programs and familiarize yourself with one of them. That's the best way to do it, and most people who could help you would be counting on you using one of those programs.

Other than that, also do a search on these forums. The PSR-500 is widely talked about here. It would pay for you to start reading the existing threads about the PSR-500.

Mike

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Mike Thanks .i Am A Premium Subscriber To Radio Ref And Am Waiting For My Copy Of Win 500 To Arrive. I Am Interested In The Police ,sherif, State Police ,fire Depts,any Law Enforcement Info I Can Get For Ohio Co. Wv.belmont Co.& Jefferson Co Ohio. I Have Been Reading Thease Posts For About A Week And Find Them Informative . Thanks For The Tips About The Loose Screw In The Psr500 Mine Is A Ser.#001449 And It Was Also Loose Thanks Again And Ile Be No Stranger To Your Group. Paul

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Psr500

Ok People Since I Am New To The Psr500 And For The Last 5 Months I Think Its Great Now I Want To Tweek This Thing To Its Fullest Capacity . So Here Goes . How Do I Know Weather Or Not I Have A "rebanding Issue In The Motorolla Trunked System To Deal With Or Not . As You Can Probably Tell I Am Not Much Up On The Radio Termonalogy . Please Forgive My Aparent Ineptness And Try To Find It In Your Heart To Help .paul

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Psr500

I Forgot To Ask If The Tv Audio Broadcasts Will Be Come Avaliable On My Psr500 When They Go Totally Digital. If So Where Will The Freq's Be Avaliable Thanks. Paul

N8IAA

paul1 said:
I Forgot To Ask If The Tv Audio Broadcasts Will Be Come Avaliable On My Psr500 When They Go Totally Digital. If So Where Will The Freq's Be Avaliable Thanks. Paul
No. Not on the scanner. Unless GRE has an upgrade to Dolby Digital 5.1.
Larry

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
paul1 said:
Ok People Since I Am New To The Psr500 And For The Last 5 Months I Think Its Great Now I Want To Tweek This Thing To Its Fullest Capacity . So Here Goes . How Do I Know Weather Or Not I Have A "rebanding Issue In The Motorolla Trunked System To Deal With Or Not . As You Can Probably Tell I Am Not Much Up On The Radio Termonalogy . Please Forgive My Aparent Ineptness And Try To Find It In Your Heart To Help .paul

The Wheeling Public Safety, Belmont County 911 System, and Jefferson County 911 systems are all scheduled for rebanding. The paperwork process has started and radios are in, but currently all the agencies are still running on their original (non-rebanded) frequencies and I don't believe new radios have been installed in most of the vehicles of any of those agencies. So it's a work in progress.

But yes, you'll have to deal with the rebanding issue - but it won't be much of a deal because the PSR-500 is capable of handling rebanded systems.

Mike

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike I Will Try To Start Familiarising My Self With This Issue Now Again Thanks Alot . Paul

bigray246

PSR500 audio jack volume.

Hi, does anyone know of a way to get full volume out of the headset audio jack? I have a speaker mike with a 1/8th. plug but the volume is too low, can the PSR500 be modified to get full audio volume out of the top jack? Ray

SAR923

Take one of those twist ties that seal up things like bread. Strip off the paper cover so you are left with just the skinny wire. Wrap a few turns tightly around the base of the BNC mount but not so tight that it won't swivel. Swivel the remaining wire around and make a loop centered above the earphone jack. Trim off any excess. Plug the speaker jack through the wire loop into the headphone jack. You'll now get full power to any speaker.

paul1

Premium Subscriber
when my psr500 stops on a conv. freq the very bottom of the display at the left lower has the information " CT110.9 S/. WHAT IS THIS. AND IN SERCH MODE AFTER THE FRL/O SOFT KEY WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF THE MIDDLE SOFT KEY THAT CHANGES THE WORD ALL FROM SMALL TO CAPS. PAUL

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
paul1 said:
when my psr500 stops on a conv. freq the very bottom of the display at the left lower has the information " CT110.9 S/. WHAT IS THIS. AND IN SERCH MODE AFTER THE FRL/O SOFT KEY WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF THE MIDDLE SOFT KEY THAT CHANGES THE WORD ALL FROM SMALL TO CAPS. PAUL

Paul,

CT 110.9 is a PL Tone. You can set the scanner so that it only opens the squelch for transmissions with a certain CTCSS (PL) tone (subaudible tone) present or a particular Digital Coded Squelch (DCS) present. For frequencies you program in (or in Tune mode) you can set whether the scanner attempts to seek out and identify PL or DCS tones (or not). So what you are seeing is that a frequency you have programmed in is set to either respond to a particular PL tone ( CT 110.9) or it is set to search for a PL tone and display it if present. In PL or DCS search mode it will not actually limit the transmission based upon the PL/DCS tone but rather it will display the tone that is present on the transmission [if a tone exists]. If you specifically set the frequency up with a particular PL/DCS tone, then you will only hear transmissions on that frequency if that transmission has the same DCS/PL tone that you have programmed in for it.

As for the soft key, I don't have my scanner in front of me - But let me just say that typically if a word is lowercase and can be toggled to all uppercase, then what you are doing is enabling (all uppercase) or disabling (lowercase) the option. You didn't say what word was being changed from lowercase to uppercase when you push the softkey.

Mike

Last edited:

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Psr500

Mike Thanks For Your Reply However I Did Say That The Word Above The Middle Soft Key Was All And My Question Is Still What Function Does It Serve When I Push The Middle Soft Key Just Below The Word All And It Changes The Word All From Upper Case To Lower Case . Please Forgive Me If I Am Not Grasping Your Explenation In Your Last Reply . I Am Trying Very Hard To Make All The Replies Work For Me To Tweek This Radio To Its Fullest Potential Thanks Again And Please Continue To Bear With Me Paul

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Ok Its Me Again And I Need To Find Out How You Get A Reply From Greamerica About Questions I Ask Them About My Psr500. Paul

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Another Trying Question .what Equipment Will Be Necessary To Listen To My Psr500 On My 2008 Toyota Preius Radio Speakers. I Apoligise For My Apparent Lack Of Knowlege About Thease Things So Please Bear With Me . I Am A Machinist . And Also Be Ready For My Dumb Questions When I Get My Win500 Software Thanks Alot Paul

Lakotawolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does your head unit have a jack for a ipod or mp3 player?

Highpockets

paul1 said:
Another Trying Question .what Equipment Will Be Necessary To Listen To My Psr500 On My 2008 Toyota Preius Radio Speakers. I Apoligise For My Apparent Lack Of Knowlege About Thease Things So Please Bear With Me . I Am A Machinist . And Also Be Ready For My Dumb Questions When I Get My Win500 Software Thanks Alot Paul

A fm digital transmitter will work. Put on freq 88.1 -88.3 set fm radio the same in your car, your in business.

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Yes My Toyota Has An Aux Jack Inside The Center Consol For Aux Devices So What Do I Need .thanks For Your Intrest And Hope To See A Reply Soon .paul

Lakotawolf

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
you just need a cable that has a jack on both ends. i`m sure your aux plug in is the same as the headphones plug on the scanner. you can get the cable from radio shack. for a couple of bucks. its going to be a black cable and the ends will be the same.

paul1

Premium Subscriber
Psr500 Cable

Thanks For The Tip The Cable Works Flawsly Greatly Appreciated Help Is Always Nice To Get . I Hope I Can Return The Favor Some Day Sincerely .paul

Status
Not open for further replies.