New Radio Tower @ intersection of US50 and US98

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
There is a new radio tower with vertical and microwave antennas at the intersection of US50 (Creedmoor Road) and US98 (Durham Road) near Falls Lake. It is actually inside the cloverleaf intersection. I really don't know its height, but it looks similar to other commercial towers. The lat - long is 35.988856 - 78.686681.

Does anyone know what services are using it? Could it be a new Viper or Wake Simulcast site? I did an FCC search and maybe found it

Reg 1302876
File A1105188
Constructed 5/31/2018

North Carolina State Highway Patrol
Attention To: TSU - Spectrum Resources Manager
4231 MAIL SERVICE CENTER
Raleigh , NC 27699-4231

P: (888)928-4737
F: (919)662-4444
E: viper.tsu-fsm@ncshp.org

Here is the URL of the FCC data -
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=2702571

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
There is a new radio tower with vertical and microwave antennas at the intersection of US50 (Creedmoor Road) and US98 (Durham Road) near Falls Lake. It is actually inside the cloverleaf intersection. I really don't know its height, but it looks similar to other commercial towers. The lat - long is 35.988856 - 78.686681.

Does anyone know what services are using it? Could it be a new Viper or Wake Simulcast site?

My informed guess would be the new Wake Creedmoor Tower:
http://www.wakegov.com/is/Documents/800%20MHz%20-%20BoC%20Work%20Session%209.9.13%20%2809-06-2013%20presentation%29.pdf

Marshall KE4ZNR

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Marshall, thanks. You always have an answer. I could be wrong but it seems the microwave antenna was pointed West toward Durham. I looked at the PPT file you referenced. So this would be a Wake Simulcast site?

Interesting, I live in Morrisville apparently between the Kitt Creek and Cary towers. I don't think I am experiencing any simulcast reception issues, Wake Simulcast comes in max on the signal strength meter (5 bars).

I do wish I could get a Viper site with the same strength. The Viper site I can monitor is West Raleigh (2 bars) but that signal strength varies and sometimes is un-receivable. Occasionally I can get 1 bar on the Durant Road site.

I really don't get Durham city very well. Sometimes I can get Chatham Mountain with a couple bars. Even the Siler City site comes in at 2 bars often. Camden Avenue site comes it at 3 bars, Cole Mill Road at 1 bar, and Brian Center at 3 bars consistently. Pretty often I get Eno Mountain site at 2 bars. And on many occasions I can get Butner site with 1 bar. Not too bad.

Again, thanks for your great help.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
That is correct.

It will be the new Creedmoor tower for Viper.

It will be operating off 700 Mhz. frequencies.

Call sign is WRAE-572

David

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Added to the database as site "999" in RFSS/Zone 1 for time being until I can verify Site Number.

Marshall KE4ZNR

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
The site doesn't seem to be operational today. The frequencies listed were quiet and there were no "close calls" on my handheld scanner. I have attached a picture of the antenna.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3fc.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_3fc.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
I can confirm the site is not operational at this time so it probably wouldn't hurt to remove from the database or at least move it to the wiki.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
The new tower is not operational today, at least I didn't get any hits on the expected frequencies nor any "close call" hits.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
It seems this site is still not online, or at least not online using the frequencies noted earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.