• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:

New Radio

Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2005
Northern Alabama
Since your post says "two way radio" and not a scanner, I'm assuming this radio can transmit and isn't just a receiver?

If this is for a radio that will transmit, then no, you'll need to get an antenna that's resonant on whatever frequency you're using. If you can provide more info as to the make and model of the radio and what frequency you're using, we can provide more information on suggested antennas.

If this is for receive only, then you can use it but it may or may not work very well. Depends on what you're trying to pick up. If the radio is receive only, give it a try and see how well it receives. However, even for a receive-only antenna, it's still best to have an antenna that's resonant on the frequency you're listening on.


Jan 21, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I was wondering if I could use a CB antenna with a non-digital trunking two way radio?
Well you could...but I would recommend that you don't.
The most important thing is the fact that CB operates on 27Mhz
while most trunked radio systems are on 800Mhz.
That is a horrible mismatch of epic proportions.
Buy an 800Mhz antenna designed to work with your Trunked Radio and
save yourself grief.
Marshall KE4ZNR
Not open for further replies.