New Radios being used by NYPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
Which ones were these? The DC ones?

DC Key yes, they had 3 or 4 levels of signal quality (I forget), based on the quality a combination of 2 different tones would also go down the phone line to let the comparator know which had the better signal. IMO it never really worked well, it seemed to pick the first one and lock, though I think that might have been jumper selectable. The levels were set by different squelch controls for each. You had to set them on the receiver that it came with, slightly different variations in squelch levels made it impossible to just set them all on the bench. Then you had differences in the phone line levels unless you paid for a conditioned line. The selected receiver could be the best signal but low or higher audio.
I think I threw out all those comparators I had a long time ago. I still have a few Spectra Tac ones with DES, they are twice the the size, and use different cards or SQM's. I still use it at Alpine as a way to select different DES codes kinda like a community repeater.
For Spectra Tac you also had selectable transmit steering which was terrible, never worked right always selected the wrong transmitter. Yonkers PD had them we pulled those cards right after we got the contract.

Quote"
NYC NEVER had "standard" anything. When everyone else was sold on console priority, NYPD wanted SUBSCRIBER priority so they could interrupt the dispatcher.

I don't think that was true, NYPD had custom made consoles by ??? Maybe even the radio shop made them, I know their alert tone was made in the NYPD radio shop and is very distinctive. The dispatcher could over ride the subscriber, and you could hear the unit calling in the background from the dispatchers microphone.

I am not familiar with Bergen's system, but the old Centracom I consoles had a card in them if ordered called a LOS card (very interesting card that looked at the audio and if it was symetrical it would mute) that muted the Modat. Most of Westchester County departments had them, from the old LEAA funded systems which was to move all PD radios on a common band of VHF. Sound familiar?

Last edited:

In order of officialdom, I would put RR wiki a step or two below the FCC and APCO. Though the RR wiki might have more details. There are clearly a lot of "funky" emission designators out there thanks to BaoFengshuii and the other LPC radios.
I was going to tell you a funny story about emissions, but lost your off-list contact info.

I seem to recall pulling a pre-SpectraTac comparator out of a tunnel maybe 24 years ago after we moved them off VHF and built out a UHF repeater. The old system used twinlead for its antenna system and (if I'm not confusing things) used loop current rather than tones. I've heard of those, but never actually saw one before. There was a dog-ear'ed manual in the radio shop for it. (Then, after that went in, for an outfit that usually considered these things, we had to add another card, GE receiver, and a mag-mount antenna on a rack in the back room because the HTs couldn't get into the system reliably from inside their building.)

ff026

Feed Provider
All the comparators are in queens at the radio shop. The muting takes place in that room. All comparators are set up for console priority.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Quote"
(snip)

I am not familiar with Bergen's system, but the old Centracom I consoles had a card in them if ordered called a LOS card (very interesting card that looked at the audio and if it was symetrical it would mute) that muted the Modat. Most of Westchester County departments had them, from the old LEAA funded systems which was to move all PD radios on a common band of VHF. Sound familiar?

I worked in the Centracom I production floor back end testing in Schaumburg about 1976-1978. I got a good education in dispatch systems from that perspective. There were some option cards that wired to the rear terminal strip (door) in the Centracom I rack. One was a LOBL, Line Operated Busy Light, used when consoles were unable to be cross connected for busy or mute using copper. The other I recall, the LOS, was called a Line Operated Squelch. The details would be in the back of the manual. I was never sure what that was used for, don't recall one ever being shipped while I was there. My first day on the floor I tested the very last Haze Beige console to be shipped (City of Chicago?), it had miniature lights for the indicators and they were kept warm with a pull down resistor so the bulbs didn't fail early and the transistors got to see a warm filament instead of zero ohms. I thought it was a failure when I first saw the dim glow of the bulbs. I learned a lot about troubleshooting and biasing of transistors in that job. Seldom saw a component failure (Green LED's and VU Meters mostly), usually it was a mistake in wiring or cold solder joint. Visual inspection uncovered 99% of the faults.

radioman2001

The consoles I saw installed in Yorktown PD as part of the LEAA system had both LOBL and LOS for the Modat. Your tax dollars at work, most agencies kept the radios systems after the one year minimum, but some pulled them out and/or even commandeered the frequencies that were used for a zone dispatch for them selves. Those were some the first splinter channels I ever saw.
I remember the training for the Centracon I (1979), and even have the cetificate of completion somewhere. Even the sales force was aware of the green LED failures.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The consoles I saw installed in Yorktown PD as part of the LEAA system had both LOBL and LOS for the Modat. Your tax dollars at work, most agencies kept the radios systems after the one year minimum, but some pulled them out and/or even commandeered the frequencies that were used for a zone dispatch for them selves. Those were some the first splinter channels I ever saw.
I remember the training for the Centracon I (1979), and even have the cetificate of completion somewhere. Even the sales force was aware of the green LED failures.

The factory was putting consoles into hot/cold chambers as part of ALT and the green LED's would fail. I was a newbie there and was told LEAA was paying for a lot of that equipment. My career probably got a start from LEAA. About 18 months into the job the engineers rolled a hospital telemetry console up to my station and asked that I go through it. Apparently it was the first one built, had a switching power supply which was a new thing. A cassette tape recorder (consumer unit with knobs cut off and a "Motorola" panel attached. Apparently this was destined to go onto a trade show and there was a lot of pressure to make it work. I had the 12M specs in front of me but the console was broken. It was miswired because nobody had ever built one. The product sales manager kept checking on it and me hourly. I told him i was a technician not a magician! I finally got it working. I hope it made its flight.

radioman2001

You are talking about the first Medcom or Memcom consoles, installed many in NYC Hospitals around the city and in New Jersey around 1979. Part of the new UHF telemetry radios system for Paramedics using the old orange box (based on a pair of HT-220 radios) or the newer 1 and 12 watt white box Apcor. Installed about 100 of the repeaters in ambulances for the 1 watt version, but now they use their trunking system for call in and telemetry. What a difference 40 years makes.

Danny37

Saw a school safety supervisor today with the new radio. The radio had a "vertex" logo but the speaker mic had a "Motorola" logo. Looks like this roll out is for all NYPD personal regardless of UMOS or civilian.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Saw a Traffic supervisor at the Brooklyn bridge with one. Otto style mic but new vertex model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireMarshalRob

Feed Provider
Top of the line, lol

One piece of important info that most of you will not be aware of is that not too long ago, the NYPD had Motorola design a new comparator (voter) specifically for them. It is the GRV 8000, and is capable of voting both analog and P25 conventional within the same piece of hardware. Its purpose is to not only support a mixed-mode channel with the top of the line G Series equipment, but to also make the transition from analog to digital seamless.

GRV 8000 Comparator - Motorola Solutions

The writing is on the wall, fellas.

4-crime

My son was just department issued a new portable, and it says Motorola on it, but when you take the battery off it's a Vertex VX-454. The Vertex line seems to be Motorola's new bottom or mid tier radio.
What department is this?

Yes, all Vertex radios were re-branded Motorola when Motorola officially took over Vertex a little over a year ago.

I wouldn’t be surprised if very soon all Vertex models are completely discontinued.

Danny37

My son was just department issued a new portable, and it says Motorola on it, but when you take the battery off it's a Vertex VX-454. The Vertex line seems to be Motorola's new bottom or mid tier radio.

He's on the job for NYPD? Because that's a analog radio with no digital capacities.

radioman2001

Not NYPD, just saying that Vertex is mother M's low or mid tier radio now. BTW have confirmed with NYPD radio shop they ARE going "E" due to that incident last year with the 10-13's and threats over the radio. Way to go wackers.

Also on a sad note, all the SSE-5000 radios were crushed last month.

Last edited:

Danny37

Not NYPD, just saying that Vertex is mother M's low or mid tier radio now. BTW have confirmed with NYPD radio shop they ARE going "E" due to that incident last year with the 10-13's and threats over the radio. Way to go wackers.

Also on a sad note, all the SSE-5000 radios were crushed last month.

Heard a cop-watch group in Brooklyn plans to file a motion. Good luck to any attorney trying that case, I doubt it'll go through.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
In my opinion (which isn’t worth jack) this is long overdue. Every crook in the city is roaming around with a baofeng listening in. I am talking about criminals, not enthusiasts, before someone jumps down my throat. Every few months some genius decides to call out a Fake 13, which prompts half the precinct to respond. I hate to see (or hear) them go encrypted, but it’s long overdue. Unfortunately there will always be someone out there to ruin a good thing for everyone.

wbswetnam

Heard a cop-watch group in Brooklyn plans to file a motion. Good luck to any attorney trying that case, I doubt it'll go through.
Yep, good luck with that. Here in Arkansas, a few years ago when the Little Rock PD went onto the statewide AWIN system and chose the full enc route, two lawsuits were filed to try to force LRPD to at least transmit their main dispatch channels in the clear. Both lawsuits were thrown out. So yeah, enjoy listening to the NYPD while you can... when it's gone, it will be gone forever.

Danny37

Yep, good luck with that. Here in Arkansas, a few years ago when the Little Rock PD went onto the statewide AWIN system and chose the full enc route, two lawsuits were filed to try to force LRPD to at least transmit their main dispatch channels in the clear. Both lawsuits were thrown out. So yeah, enjoy listening to the NYPD while you can... when it's gone, it will be gone forever.

I was just mentioning what I heard, it wasn't like I thinking there's hope. I'm like 99% certain it'll happen, that 1% isn't worth it.

coolrich55

I can't imagine what NYPD digital would sound like. And I guess we never will. I've been to L.A. a couple times. LAPD sounded decent but even they don't have the constent radio traffic like NYPD does.

Status
Not open for further replies.