New Roseville P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucialcolin

Could be simulcast distortion with your location and scanner. I know Roseville has three sites(PD, Douglas Blvd, and Phillip Rd) that could potentially cause trouble with that if your in between one of them. Not sure what antenna you have?

CPJC

Thank-you find sir for pointing me in a direction. I read the wiki on SimulCast issues and now feel more informed, but a bit disappointed. I'm using the Radio Shack 800mhz rubber duckie antenna.

Before the Roseville's system crashed, reception seemed pretty good. Still had clipping, but found it was the 'Priority' checking issue. If I paused it on the channel, I could hear everything. Now, it doesn't matter if I pause or not on the TG. I'll go over the settings again and see if I can figure out what I've changed to introduce the problem.

Back in analog days Motorola's trunked systems rotated through 4 repeaters for the control channel at midnight. This was done to give the PA (power amp) a rest. I don't recall if we still had tube finals or if this was in the beginning stages of solid state amps whose durability was not what it is today.

I thought it was the 4 lowest freqs in the system but someone I talked to a few years ago said it was repeaters 1-4, I'm assuming that was their address bus configuration with the controller.

bigRoN18

Premium Subscriber
Back in analog days Motorola's trunked systems rotated through 4 repeaters for the control channel at midnight. This was done to give the PA (power amp) a rest. I don't recall if we still had tube finals or if this was in the beginning stages of solid state amps whose durability was not what it is today.

I thought it was the 4 lowest freqs in the system but someone I talked to a few years ago said it was repeaters 1-4, I'm assuming that was their address bus configuration with the controller.

At the start of the P25 system, they rotated their control channel quite frequently. I've noticed that they have not rotated in around a week. I'm not sure why they rotate the control channel. I was talking with one of radio guys from the Placer County system and he mentioned they had no plans of ever rotating their control channel.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure why they rotate the control channel.

I believe they do it to give each control channel repeater a rotating “break”. That’s what I’ve heard in the past, not sure if that’s a real technical reason or not. I’m sure it’s entirely up to the system administrators whether they do or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crucialcolin

I believe they do it to give each control channel repeater a rotating “break”. That’s what I’ve heard in the past, not sure if that’s a real technical reason or not. I’m sure it’s entirely up to the system administrators whether they do or not.

Yeah it's probably that, also the new system is sort of in a live testing phase. They could still be ironing out the kinks in what works best.

crucialcolin

Appears Roseville PD has once again vacated the new P25 system likely due to another System failure I'm guessing.

They are currently operating on analog frequency 851.5125 mhz or 8TAC91 as a backup under the 800 mhz National Mutual Aid/Interoperability System.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Roseville PD P25

Yeah they might be back on their trunked P25 system, but they sound horrible. Keep in mind I'm monitoring Placer P25, EBRCS, Stanislaus VHF P25 and several other channels that sound great.

Roseville should have either joined the Placer or Sacramento systems. I can only guess the politics that led them to their present decision.

crucialcolin

Yeah it sounds like rubbish here too and I'm only a half mile from the main site.

I'm actually surprised they went back on so soon, having caught some of the testing they we're doing this morning. For example the portable test sounded so muffled it was barely audiable.

I do find it odd that the project was done solely by Roseville's I.T. department with little(if any input at all) from police or fire leadership.

* Edit: that and they went with an EF Johnson powered System while outside agencies seem to be sticking with Motorola.

Last edited:

ljcook8

Yeah it sounds like rubbish here too and I'm only a half mile from the main site.

I'm actually surprised they went back on so soon, having caught some of the testing they we're doing this morning. For example the portable test sounded so muffled it was barely audiable.

I do find it odd that the project was done solely by Roseville's I.T. department with little(if any input at all) from police or fire leadership.

* Edit: that and they went with an EF Johnson powered System while outside agencies seem to be sticking with Motorola.
I was there when fire tested the EF Johnson radios - the radios are good -- perhaps the implementation...
BTW PD is still using Motorola and Fire is using EF Johnson.
I totally agree with your comments about Roseville IT running the show - no concept of what PD and Fire really need.

crucialcolin

Boy the PD side sure sounded absolutely terrible last night. transmissions were so garbled and choppy during a 459 suspect search off Painted Desert Dr, that I was barely able to follow it. I also checked BigRon's SDR feed and it sounded the same.

ljcook8

Boy the PD side sure sounded absolutely terrible last night. transmissions were so garbled and choppy during a 459 suspect search off Painted Desert Dr, that I was barely able to follow it. I also checked BigRon's SDR feed and it sounded the same.

Sorry, I should have mentioned "Fire" testing was last night.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Roseville Trunked system(s)

Is the old system still active or can it be depreciated?
I just checked and found an active control channel at 853.350, which is shown as a cc for BOTH MOT II and P25. I believe what has happened is that the MOT frequencies have been re-purposed for the P25 system.

Additionally, they have been having problems with the P25 system. If they could revert back to MOT, I would have thought they'd do that; but instead they've resorted to a single national inter-op freq as their backup.

kma371

QRT
I just checked and found an active control channel at 853.350, which is shown as a cc for BOTH MOT II and P25. I believe what has happened is that the MOT frequencies have been re-purposed for the P25 system.

Additionally, they have been having problems with the P25 system. If they could revert back to MOT, I would have thought they'd do that; but instead they've resorted to a single national inter-op freq as their backup.

Ok so the old system isn't online?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Roseville MOT is no more

Ok so the old system isn't online?
It would appear so. The only control signal I get is for the P25 system. Unitrunker reports 10 of the 11 frequencies from the MOT system are being used by P25:
Code:
ROSEVILLE 1          851.23750
ROSEVILLE 2          851.57500
ROSEVILLE 4          851.87500
ROSEVILLE 5          852.05000
ROSEVILLE 6          852.12500
ROSEVILLE 7          852.37500
ROSEVILLE 8          852.82500
ROSEVILLE 9          853.05000
ROSEVILLE 10         853.35000
ROSEVILLE 11         853.55000

Status