New RTL-SDR Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

invergordon

I bought my v3 a few days ago for NZ$30 and have been looking at the HF aspects of it with SDR#. Damn it's good! Not as good though as my Elad FDM-S2 but not far off it. I've linked a video of it on my website here (https://hfaero.com/?p=3486).

It would appear that even coupled to my 8MHz dipole that there was little or no overloading and some software adjustments in SDR# yielded a pleasant audio.

For entry level access to the wide world of Shortwave, HF Utility monitoring and amateur bands this has got to be the cheapest SDR option.

73's
Michael
hfaero.com

D

DaveNF2G

I noticed something interesting in the RTL-SDR blog's user guide for the new dongles. They have known issues with some of the new functions. The corrective actions are also mentioned. They say that Batch 2 will have the modfications applied.

That being the case, I wonder why they chose to sell known defective units.

I posted a query on Amazon as to whether Batch 2 was shipping. The question and reply have been removed, but I got an email saying that the current offer is Batch 1, which they expect to take a month to expend.

I think it might take a lot longer if people catch on that these are not the final design.

kf5bti

Can you share the know issues or a link to the blog? I was looking to buy one of these this week but may hold off depending on he issues.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
I got mine yesterday. Even with just the existing discone, I can't believe how well it does on HF for the money (though now I'm going to have to invest in a decent AM broadcast filter). I can't imagine what I could pick up with a "real" HF antenna...

JimTailor

Received mine the other day and waiting now for antenna adapters. For those using SDR#, what version are you using and where did the download come from? A search for SDR# takes me to the Airspy home page and the available download seems to be tailored for the Airpsy with some specific software for that sdr. I would prefer to use a more generic version of the software. I would also consider SDR Console V3 is any users of this dongle with that software can offer some input on how well it functions.

n5pwp

Jim

Here is a Yahoo Group where the author of SDRConsole hangs out.

sdr-radio-com

I'm still using SDR# 1332 on Windows7. It seems to work fine for me. I use GQRX on Linux. There's supposed to be a Linux version of SDR# available that runs on Mono. I haven't tried it yet.

Mike

samsat

I noticed something interesting in the RTL-SDR blog's user guide for the new dongles. They have known issues with some of the new functions. The corrective actions are also mentioned. They say that Batch 2 will have the modfications applied.

That being the case, I wonder why they chose to sell known defective units.

I posted a query on Amazon as to whether Batch 2 was shipping. The question and reply have been removed, but I got an email saying that the current offer is Batch 1, which they expect to take a month to expend.

I think it might take a lot longer if people catch on that these are not the final design.

Damn, I was just about to order one. I see they do not really have contact details on their website. It would be nice to know how long before V4 comes out.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Well. Perhaps I should retract the strong endorsement I gave previously. I've received no correspondence from them regarding the defects in the item I received. I'm not sure if I can handle those sort of ethics. I might take Amazon up on its A-Z guarantee.

rtlsdrblog

Hello everyone, glad to hear that some of you are enjoying the new HF mode!

@AggieCon How did you try to contact us? I've checked our email rtlsdrblog_AT_gmail.com as well as the Amazon email system and I have no unanswered correspondence. Checked the spam too.

@DaveNF2G Your question and our answer is stil showing on the Amazon listing. We don't have the power to delete it anyway. Batch 2 will be ready near the end of September.

There are some minor changes to be made for batch 2, but the current issues should not affect many people. We're always going to be constantly trying to improve on each batch since new things are always being discovered about these dongles and we're always taking suggestions from users.

We do have contact details on the site, on the store page under the warranty section, on the submit page and on the v3 users guide. If there are any problems please feel free to email us. This is a new unit and we're happy to hear any feedback on things we need to change.

SDR#, HDSDR and I believe SDR-console all support the direct sampling mode.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
1457, so far. I'll probably jump to the latest version tonight--the web site says 1464 is the current latest version. The main executable (sdrsharp.exe) is still generic for use with most dongles. The other ones are utilities for the Airspy.

Received mine the other day and waiting now for antenna adapters. For those using SDR#, what version are you using and where did the download come from? A search for SDR# takes me to the Airspy home page and the available download seems to be tailored for the Airpsy with some specific software for that sdr. I would prefer to use a more generic version of the software. I would also consider SDR Console V3 is any users of this dongle with that software can offer some input on how well it functions.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I did not contact you.

The point is that you did not contact me.

It's about disclosure and valuing customers.

The only reason I found out that there are a few glitches with the product is that I happened to check on here. Fortunately, it does look like there are some fixes, but I just barely became aware of the problem since I was not contacted directly by the seller (Rtl-Sdr Blog) informing me of the issues (i.e. I would have had no way to know how to fix the problem or that I could get a better product in the future). The package itself has no documentation and no wording about "where to check for product news", etc. No doubt, I appreciate the innovation and providing inexpensive radios to the market, though.

Also, you might be interested to know that I received my from Amazon thrown in a ~ 5" X 5" X 10" box with no packaging material.

Welcome to Radio Reference...

KD8DVR

You gotta watch Amazon. They'll take returns and toss them back into the vendor's "New" bin. Defective units could go from owner to owner.

it's great to buy vitamins that have been eaten from :(

samsat

@AggieCon How did you try to contact us? I've checked our email rtlsdrblog_AT_gmail.com as well as the Amazon email system and I have no unanswered correspondence. Checked the spam too.

@DaveNF2G Your question and our answer is stil showing on the Amazon listing. We don't have the power to delete it anyway. Batch 2 will be ready near the end of September.

Welcome to RR. How will we know when the second batch will be ready or how to identify them? Will it's version number change?

rtlsdrblog

I did not contact you.

The point is that you did not contact me.

The only reason I found out that there are a few glitches with the product is that I happened to check on here. Fortunately, it does look like there are some fixes, but I just barely became aware of the problem since I was not contacted directly by the seller (Rtl-Sdr Blog) informing me of the issues (i.e. I would have had no way to know how to fix the problem or that I could get a better product in the future). The package itself has no documentation and no wording about "where to check for product news", etc. No doubt, I appreciate the innovation and providing inexpensive radios to the market, though.

Also, you might be interested to know that I received my from Amazon thrown in a ~ 5" X 5" X 10" box with no packaging material.

Welcome to Radio Reference...

Ah okay I understand what you mean now. The bias tee already has a big warning against shorting it on the V3 users guide which is where you'll need to go to download the bias tee software. The warning will stay there even if there is a resettable fuse, as you should never short the bias tee anyway. The other issues are very minor. It would be like sending a warning to users of the generic brand dongles that there is excessive noise at 480/960/1440 MHz due to a lack of USB choking, or that there are big spurs at multiples of the clock frequency, or that interference may leak in from the plastic case, or that higher L-band frequencies don't work without heatsinking. Every different dongle has their little irks, and we're just mentioning the ones we've found on our current batch, which is some increased noise surrounding very strong narrowband signals (turn the gain down or add caps and it goes away), and a big spur on HF in direct sampling mode causing overload with the bias tee turned on (there are no HF bias tee powered LNA's out there so I don't think anyone will be affected, and this does not affect use with an upconverter).

About the documentation, its online and the link is printed on the dongle. Paper documentation can go out of date fast in the SDR world, especially since we don't control the software.

Sorry about the packaging from Amazon. We've complained to them numerous times about improving it, but despite promises nothing seems to happen. The dongle and antennas are fairly sturdy though, so should not easily be damaged. Also @KD8DVR you are right. Amazon has a problem where they sometimes take defective returns and instead of putting them into the defective bins, put them into the 'sellable' bins. This way defective stock can get recycled among different customers. Fortunately the defect rate after QC that we've measured is less than 0.5% at the moment, but if you get a defective item its best to contact us directly to receive a new item without the need for a return.

@samsat. Thanks! Batch 2 will be ready at the end of September. There will probably be a ~1 week no sales gap between batches, and it will be announced on the blog and store page. It will still be V3 as the features will not change, just those irks mentioned above will be eliminated.

br0adband

There are some minor changes to be made for batch 2, but the current issues should not affect many people. We're always going to be constantly trying to improve on each batch since new things are always being discovered about these dongles and we're always taking suggestions from users.

We do have contact details on the site, on the store page under the warranty section, on the submit page and on the v3 users guide. If there are any problems please feel free to email us. This is a new unit and we're happy to hear any feedback on things we need to change.

SDR#, HDSDR and I believe SDR-console all support the direct sampling mode.

Welcome to RadioReference, since it appears "you" just joined whoever you are (meaning a single individual speaking for the RTL-SDR website I suppose).

I have to ask: are the issues with batch 1 of the revamped RTL-SDR sticks considered to be actual defects, and if so are you willing to allow people to trade up from the batch 1 or even batch 2 models considering - is a batch 3 with the fixes that have been implemented or a batch 4 on the drawing board too? :)

Just wondering: I don't have the newest version with the HF mods, was considering it but after reading all this and seeing how rapidly you've gone from a batch 1 to batch 2, it does seem like - at least to me - if you wanted to keep the customers happy you'd be willing to offer an upgrade (at very little to no cost) so they're running the updated hardware.

Nobody likes buying something only to find out it's not nearly as feature laden and functional as expected and then find out a newer revision is available that fixes or adds functionality that was originally intended and then find out they'd have to buy said hardware a second or even third time to get everything squared away.

I'm honestly curious to see how this situation is handled over the long run. I do intend to get at least two of the revised models whenever things are finally "set in stone" so to speak and the devices work as advertised and intended with no future revisions (least that's the hope) so I'll be paying attention to this situation as time progresses.

elraval

The only reason I found out that there are a few glitches with the product is that I happened to check on here.

I guess publicly stating known issues, in the user guide, for the actual piece of gear, on the seller website, isn't good enough? [emoji6] It was probably already written down there when we bought the thing...

Issues won't affect me tough; as probably don't affect you, AggieCon.

You should stick to your statement that "everyone should have one of these". I also believe that... from this one or other seller.

I like my V2s very much, and read most the blog stuff; probably one the best resources for SDR info out there in the World Wild Web, and this is my way of supporting what apparently seems to me to be a one man job... (I might be wrong)

I've ordered my V3 as soon as I could. I'm sure it will take it's time arriving in Spain from China as both my V2's did, but came neatly (read excessive) packed as most China packages do.

Sent from my Xylophone using Tapatalk...

Comp-100

You guys are tough customers. What product doesn't have small defects or limitations. Number 3 is a little annoying if you are using that feature and not careful, but I know they have talked about that for a long time it was not hidden. It's a design limitation and not really a defect. I don't know when the others were found, but man the fixes seems pretty damn easy. As far as I can see the product is working great for you guys, and you paid what for it... take a breather man.

Status
Not open for further replies.