BCD325P2/BCD996P2: New Scanner Incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
My new 996P2 is arriving today, and I'm like:

wallcoo.com_christmas_66-550x412.jpg

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all. Should be here this afternoon. In the meanwhile, I've been watching and re-watching all the YouTube vids I can get my hands on. Should have a good handle on it, but I'm sure I'll have questions.

Will let you know when the eagle has landed. :D

marksmith

Thanks all. Should be here this afternoon. In the meanwhile, I've been watching and re-watching all the YouTube vids I can get my hands on. Should have a good handle on it, but I'm sure I'll have questions.

Will let you know when the eagle has landed. :D
That's what this place is for.
Hope you also have downloaded Freescan, which works well with that radio.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
That's what this place is for.
Hope you also have downloaded Freescan, which works well with that radio.

Mark

Hi Mark and thanks!

FreeSCAN is what I use with my 246T, which makes me hopeful that I may be able to transfer most of my stuff over when the 996P2 arrives. I've been looking at Proscan, but haven't really made a decision on that one yet (I can't really tell if there are any features in Proscan that I would use enough to justify the cost.)

And not to hurt any feelings, but I have no use for the any of the ARC programs. Personal preference, just saying.

SCPD

QRT
Hi Mark and thanks!

FreeSCAN is what I use with my 246T, which makes me hopeful that I may be able to transfer most of my stuff over when the 996P2 arrives. I've been looking at Proscan, but haven't really made a decision on that one yet (I can't really tell if there are any features in Proscan that I would use enough to justify the cost.)

And not to hurt any feelings, but I have no use for the any of the ARC programs. Personal preference, just saying.

ARC XT is awesome a great combo with the 996P2!
I have owned the 996p2 and its really helpful.
As for your new baby,I would reprogram it from scratch this way you dont miss out on any new talkgroups or frequencies,remember the 246T does no digital,but the 996P2 does.Have fun programming those quickkeys!
If you need any files for your 996P2 for ARCXT, lemme know and I can draw them up for ya.
Love the 996P2,loud and clear.I had the 536HP and I prefer the 996P2.

marksmith

Hi Mark and thanks!

You should be able to transfer everything from your 246T, which makes it nice because all the same quick keys will be in play on both radios the same.

Then you can add digital stuff for the 996 p2. I use the same setup for a 15x, two 396xt's, a 996xt, 996p2, 325p2, etc. You can pick the systems you want to download as you do each scanner, so it works great.

I tend to always erase everything on the scanner with each download to keep it clean. Also use the test Com port between each radio connection so it reads the connection and confirms which radio and Com port it is using before each download.

You will get 1 error message related to wx setup when you do the 996p2, but it's not really an error. Works fine. Just need to have version 2.18 as I remember.

Mark

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Enjoy it when it arrives. Many hours of fun just about to come down the chimney! Mine has got a new lease of life tracking 5 local connect plus turbo systems. Fantastic!

Merry Christmas :)

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I was a big fan of the 996T/996XT but my last few scanner purchases have been Home Patrols due to all the traveling I do.

I grabbed a WS-1098 back in May and have been using that for DMR monitoring at home but never really got the hang of it and the display is just too small for my old eyes.

I was relieved when Uniden announced the DMR upgrade for the 996P2. I could return to a familiar interface and a display that was much easier to read. The Whistler is now in a box on the floor and the Uniden has taken it's place.

I've never tried Proscan but decided to give it a try and so far I'm impressed. I was impressed enough that I ended up registering it this morning. I've found a few bugs that I'm going to try and duplicate before reporting them but I'm hopeful they'll be resolved.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I was a big fan of the 996T/996XT but my last few scanner purchases have been Home Patrols due to all the traveling I do.

I grabbed a WS-1098 back in May and have been using that for DMR monitoring at home but never really got the hang of it and the display is just too small for my old eyes.

I was relieved when Uniden announced the DMR upgrade for the 996P2. I could return to a familiar interface and a display that was much easier to read. The Whistler is now in a box on the floor and the Uniden has taken it's place.

I've never tried Proscan but decided to give it a try and so far I'm impressed. I was impressed enough that I ended up registering it this morning. I've found a few bugs that I'm going to try and duplicate before reporting them but I'm hopeful they'll be resolved.

Bugs? What? I thought it was bug free. Go ahead and report them when you're ready.

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
You'll all be happy to hear the new "toy" has arrived safe and sound!

The first thing that struck me was how deceptively substantial it is. It's quite a beefy little unit (a decided plus in my book! I prefer stuff with a bit of heft to it.) The buttons are firm yet responsive. The audio simply blows me away, but then again I've been listening to handhelds for the past 15 years. Even so, the built-in speaker has very good range to it.

The real joy came when I went to hook it up to the PC. It couldn't have been more painless. My computer immediately recognized it, had the correct COM port configured and bandwidth set, and I didn't have to twiddle with any settings or download any drivers at all. I upgraded the firmware to 1.07.06 (it was at 1.06 when it arrived), and then loaded up my most recent save from the BC246T in FreeSCAN. It immediately took everything without needing any conversion (I'm sure there will be things I do differently, but wanted a known "base" from which to experiment later.)

The sensitivity is pretty phenomenal too. I generally get a light hiss on all but the strongest signals on the handhelds using the rubber ducks. With nothing more than the stock telescope antenna, I'm getting real good signal deflection on the s-meter. I'm in a small highrise that's all concrete and steel, and it's still doing pretty well. I can't mount external antennas, but I may look into trying to secure a mag-mount on the metal window casings and see how that works, but for now I'm more than pleased.

Overall, exceedingly pleased with my Christmas present. Santa done good this year! :D

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Know the feeling

My new 436hp was supposed to be in tomorrow. I was wishing, all morning, that I'd paid for faster shipping. To my surprise, it showed up today. Early Christmas for me....

Jeff.

skip39

wow that is awesome!!! the bcd346hp is an amazing scanner. may you enjoy your new scanning toy. i love my bcd436hp. Merry Christmas and happy new year!!

slingshot202

Feed Provider

Wait what?? The 996P2 has an upgrade also??? Thought they only did 436/536?? Am I reading that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.