new scanner, new software, new member.. now what lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony20111

SO I went and bought a new radio shack pro 197, the extra antenna and the usb stuff witch comes with a free 7 day software trial called arc300... Then I bought a premium membership from radiorefrence.com. I imported the codes/frequiencies/whatever into the software, clicked download to my scanner and nothing. it wont reboot when i pull the cable out like it says to do... Once using another software called win500 maybe it downloaded 4 channels, I saw a % go to 100, it rebooted then nothing..

Help a noob?

Highpockets

SO I went and bought a new radio shack pro 197, the extra antenna and the usb stuff witch comes with a free 7 day software trial called arc300... Then I bought a premium membership from radiorefrence.com. I imported the codes/frequiencies/whatever into the software, clicked download to my scanner and nothing. it wont reboot when i pull the cable out like it says to do... Once using another software called win500 maybe it downloaded 4 channels, I saw a % go to 100, it rebooted then nothing..

Help a noob?

If your going to keep using Win500, take a look at this Guide:

WIN500 - UtahRadio

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi Anthony -

I would start, however, with some terminology - every technical hobby has it, and it does take a bit to learn. If you go to the blue toolbar under the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over Wiki then select Wiki Home you will be taken to the main page. You will find several links in the 'Links for Newcomers' section on the right, in purple. Take the time to bookmark the glossary - no doubt you will come back to it again. There also is an article about connecting scanners via USB - You will need to load drivers and connect up a USB cable before you can load anything to the scanner, regardless of the software you choose.

Somewhat further down the right, in yellow, is the 'Popular Topics' section. Click on the GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ; there you will find a link for the Easier to Read manual for that radio. Between the manual that RS has and this, you should be able to get started enjoying your new toy.

Don't be shy about coming back and asking questions - Questions on the 197 should go to our Radio Shack Forum, software questions to our software forum.

Excelsior! best regards...Mike

Last edited:

anthony20111

Thank you for the response. Again, I can get them to Dl now and my scanner reboots, I just cant get my scanner to scan, when I click scan it says "nothing enabled" My usb cord, drivers, ect are all loaded and in working order.

Highpockets

I can get the channels to DL from win500, I simply cant get them to scan on my scanner..

It would help if we knew what state, county, town your trying to program. If they are conventional frequencies or a Trunked System.

When you hit the scan button, do you get a "Nothing Enabled" message? If so, with the default scan list being 1, try hitting the 1 key to make that scan list active.

If you have 3 scan lists, also hit the 2 key and the 3 key after you hit the scan button.

Highpockets

To activate a scan list in Win500, it's done on the General Settings tab, over on the left, make sure the box to the right of the alpha tag is black before you upload to your scanner, for all scan lists you want scanned.

anthony20111

Indianapolis, Indiana, I did both trunked and conventional. It says "nothing enabled" when I click 1 it says "on" then reverts back to "nothing enabled"

Highpockets

Indianapolis, Indiana, I did both trunked and conventional. It says "nothing enabled" when I click 1 it says "on" then reverts back to "nothing enabled"

Double check in the software you actually have freq's/Trunked systems assigned to a scan list. The scan list map will show what scan list it is in, and the Scan List Box is where you assign or change the scan list for each frequency or Talk Group. And to activate that list it's done on the General Settings Tab like I said above.

Read that Guide, it will help!

Highpockets

One other point, being it's a RS scanner, make sure the pig tail (on the end of the cable that plugs into the PC/IF port on the scanner) is off the cable, don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.