New Scanner User here requesting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBBVA16

Trying to educate myself again through this website, which has overwhelming amount of info. I used to use an old scanner from Radioshack that was analog only I believe, and that was years ago. Where I have relocated to uses a Trunking system, and the old scanner doesn't have the capability to pickup those frequencies.

I'm located now at the border of Amherst and Nelson counties in VA, and would like to listen in to Police/Fire/EMS/Weather frequencies. Amherst County, Virginia (VA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference lists a Central Planning District that contains Fire/Sheriff/EMS are those the frequencies I would need?

I also see "All Trunked Radio Systems" at the bottom, and are not too sure of their function.

Our house is located at the top of a hill/small mountain so reception would be good I assume. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a scanner I would require in order to pickup the aforementioned frequencies in that area? The scanner would be sitting at the house mainly.

Budget would be around $300, but will save for more if its necessary in future.

N8IAA

Trying to educate myself again through this website, which has overwhelming amount of info. I used to use an old scanner from Radioshack that was analog only I believe, and that was years ago. Where I have relocated to uses a Trunking system, and the old scanner doesn't have the capability to pickup those frequencies.

I'm located now at the border of Amherst and Nelson counties in VA, and would like to listen in to Police/Fire/EMS/Weather frequencies. Amherst County, Virginia (VA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference lists a Central Planning District that contains Fire/Sheriff/EMS are those the frequencies I would need?

I also see "All Trunked Radio Systems" at the bottom, and are not too sure of their function.

Our house is located at the top of a hill/small mountain so reception would be good I assume. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a scanner I would require in order to pickup the aforementioned frequencies in that area? The scanner would be sitting at the house mainly.

Budget would be around $300, but will save for more if its necessary in future.

What captclint suggested will work for your county's EDACS system. But if you want to hear Nelson, you'll need an inexpensive P-25 scanner to hear the FD and SO.
I would suggest that you look for a scanner that does Phase I so that you can receive Nelson county. Phase I digital scanners will also work with the EDACS system.
WS-1040 is a hand held, 1065 is a base/mobile. If you look around, these two are around $250.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.