New scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

turn619

Hello,

I recently decided to purchase a scanner and am trying to decide which one to get and which one I'll get the most enjoyment out of. Right now I'm considering the Uniden Digital Mobile Scanner with 25,000 Channels and GPS Support (BCD996XT) or the RadioShack® PRO-197 39,000-Channel Digital Desktop Scanner. Since I'm a newbie, I wanted to ask if anyhone in the forum would give me info on these models concerning ease of set up and make me feel more confident that I won't waste my money.

From the reviews I've read, it seems that the Uniden model is great but can be difficult to program. Can anyone offer their stories or learning experiences that might help me decide? Are there any helpful websites, youtube videos that would assist me with programming this model? THe other model I've been looking at is the Radio Shack one bc I know that if I get frustrated, I could always turn to them for help programming the unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For background I'm probably above average with technical stuff and want to consider this a hobby so I don't expect to get it all in 5 minutes...

SCPD

QRT
Uniden BCD-996XT Vs. Radio Shack PRO-197

Hi---Your best off buying the Uniden BCD-996XT and you also can see it on uTube. Yes, it is harder to hand program then the other but quality is way better! If you have any questions, please pm me.

73's

Sparky19053

Premium Subscriber
I’m not new to using a scanner, but I’m a new purchaser of a bct996xt and while I’m sure I have a lot to learn I found FreeScan software very easy to use with a premium membership to this site.
I think it’s a great radio and very happy with my choice. BTW, I purchased from Scannermaster, they shipped that business day and I have received the following day.

wtp

well...

when rs came out with their pro92, i went to 3 stores and no one knew anything about trunking or the radio
they gave me a freq list and said bye then
yes the new radios are a little tough to get use to. but not impossible

turn619

Thanks guys for all your responses. I definitely appreciate all and any advice as I want to get going on buying the Uniden model soon, probably in the next couple months. I agree in that my experience with Radio Shack hasn't ever been stellar. So for the next month or so (my bdays in March lol) I'm going to do lots of research and see if I can learn enough to get going on the programming when I make the purchase. I will probably buy from Scannermaster too. Thanks for the good recommendation from them, I looked over their site and will look again as there is a lot there.

So can you guys give me a list in order of things I should learn now and what I should do once I receive the scanner? Software to download, review? Stuff like that would be very helpful. I live in San Diego and will primarily be listening from there. Remember that I'm pretty new to scanning and I wont be insulted if your posts start a little basic. From what Ive read, I can look online for what types of things I want to listen to (police local fire and such) and then I just have to figure out how to program the Uniden using the software. Am I correct? Thanks again guys and I'll definitely respond within a day or so! Website references please!

Hello,

I recently decided to purchase a scanner and am trying to decide which one to get and which one I'll get the most enjoyment out of.

Welcome!

I too have been a scanner guy since the 70's and consider myself very technical. That said, I'm not quite sure how I decided to buy the Uniden 396XT in 2009 and 996XT not long after that. I bought both, online from scannermaster.com Painless transactions and they have price protection and maybe still have free shipping.

I swear it was two days before I had even known conventional "channels" coming out the speaker. It takes time.

With free software tools like FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software and this site, you can't go wrong. Bob is right. The 996XT would be a good choice for you.

Uniden continues to actively support its products and they have a Product Manager, (UPMan), who reads and responds to posts in these forums. Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference.com Forums

The cool thing with freescan, is that you can share files with other scanner owners. Hopefully someone in your area already has a file built. I make tweaks to my configuration almost daily via PC interface and freescan.

Want an analogy? Remember the 1st time you saw Windows 95? You get the idea. Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.