New Sites On Carrollton TX Public Safety System

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

There is an application (ULS Application - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Trunked - 0006077861 - CARROLLTON, CITY OF) to modify the Carrollton Public Safety TRS to add two new sites. The new sites are:

Water tank at 100 E. Hebron Parkway, Carrollton TX
Water tank at 345 Freeport Parkway, Coppell TX

Driving past the Hebron Parkway site today, I saw that the new antennas have already been installed. Since the modification only lists the current analog modes, I assume that this upgrade will be done prior to the move to the approved upgrade to P-25 Phase II that is expected to be done in the next 12 to 18 months.

I have heard several PD Officers complain to dispatch of reception issues and dispatch requesting retransmissions as well. Also when Lewisville is on the system when theirs is down, there are generally issues with some of their users getting good signal strength as well. These two sites should help both situations.

The new sites may also allow Coppell to do their migration earlier than when the P-25 system is done since their site may be operational sooner. Not too sure how to tell when the sites have been activated unless they happen to make the simulcast issues worse for me.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
Most in DFW are switching sooner than later.

They are all suppose to be switched by Jan 1st 2015 so you can expect it soon.

n5ims

Most in DFW are switching sooner than later.

They are all suppose to be switched by Jan 1st 2015 so you can expect it soon.

Their move has already been announced and approved by the various cities involved. This thread (http://forums.radioreference.com/te...lton-tx-trs-upgrade-phase-ii-p-25-system.html) has links to some of the announcements and plans. Basically they're replacing their current system with a P-25 Phase II system from Harris. Coppell will move from the Lewisville system to the Carrollton system and a combined dispatch center will handle things for the 4 cities. Based on the announcements, they will be up and running in 12 - 18 months so it should be a year or so (give or take) at this point.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Their move has already been announced and approved by the various cities involved. This thread (http://forums.radioreference.com/te...lton-tx-trs-upgrade-phase-ii-p-25-system.html) has links to some of the announcements and plans. Basically they're replacing their current system with a P-25 Phase II system from Harris. Coppell will move from the Lewisville system to the Carrollton system and a combined dispatch center will handle things for the 4 cities. Based on the announcements, they will be up and running in 12 - 18 months so it should be a year or so (give or take) at this point.
Carrollton going Phase II, plus Irving in the same time frame, also the upcoming combined Arlington/Grand Prairie/Mansfield Phase II system are all reasons I went ahead & put in a preorder for a 436HP.

n5ims

Carrollton going Phase II, plus Irving in the same time frame, also the upcoming combined Arlington/Grand Prairie/Mansfield Phase II system are all reasons I went ahead & put in a preorder for a 436HP.

New radios are on my list as well, although with the timeframe giving me a bit of time, I'm waiting to see what Whistler puts out as well. The new Unidens do look interesting though. Especially with the need to upgrade both a handheld and base/mobile.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber

Oh I believe they are moving systems. Everyone is, they have to. That is why you are seeing so many people changing systems right now. It will just be sooner than 12-18 months though. State and Federal mandates are requiring them to be in place by Jan 1st 2015. This was moved from the original date of Jan 1st 2013. So while they may be saying 12-18 months I am sure it will be a lot sooner than that.

n5ims

Oh I believe they are moving systems. Everyone is, they have to. That is why you are seeing so many people changing systems right now. It will just be sooner than 12-18 months though. State and Federal mandates are requiring them to be in place by Jan 1st 2015. This was moved from the original date of Jan 1st 2013. So while they may be saying 12-18 months I am sure it will be a lot sooner than that.

What mandates are those (links to the FCC site would be very helpful)? I believe that the main push isn't the FCC, but Motorola. They've ended or soon will end support for many of the old analog systems soon and most agencies want to migrate to something that's supported.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What mandates are those (links to the FCC site would be very helpful)? I believe that the main push isn't the FCC, but Motorola. They've ended or soon will end support for many of the old analog systems soon and most agencies want to migrate to something that's supported.
Agreed.

The only Federal mandate was the narrowbanding requirement, effective January 1st of last year (2013).

The State of Texas has an unfunded mandate, issued by Governor Perry for for agencies to be capable of interoperability via P25 by January of 2015, but that has no enforcement, other than any radios bought using state grants must be P25 capable. See this link, also here.

bwillcox

Drove past the 345 Freeport Parkway water tower (which I always thought was off Royal???) on Saturday and it has sprouted the same style white stick antennas that the other water towers that are current sites on the system have.

Did not have a radio with me so couldn't confirm if it was on the air yet or not but Carrollton current analog seemed to be much higher in strength at the same location I do most of my Sunday listening, so it may very well be.

-b-

Status
Not open for further replies.