New state of Delaware radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirelesscop

Hi everyone. Just curious if anyone knows when the state of Delaware upgrades the digital 800 MHz system if it’s going to be a phase 1 or phase 2 system. Thank you in advance.

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
New state of Deleware?

"New state of Delaware radio system."

What happened to the old state of Delaware?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
As far as I can tell, Delaware is not building a new public safety communications system - at least as a single project. There is no solicitation or contract award to support it recorded in their procurement system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
However, I did find that the state has budgeted roughly $6M / year through 2024 to "refresh" the 800 Mhz system to P25 standards. FY2019 is the 3rd year in the process.

Attachments

• delaware radio refresh.PNG
    delaware radio refresh.PNG
    220.6 KB · Views: 65

Mr_Boh

I did see somewhere that 2019 was the year they were supposed to turn on a P25 control channel and start transitioning but I’m sure like most multi-year radio projects it’s behind schedule...

KC2KQH

As far as I can tell, Delaware is not building a new public safety communications system - at least as a single project. There is no solicitation or contract award to support it recorded in their procurement system.

I'm of the same opinion that a totally new system isn't in the works, despite what I've read in other posts on the forum. The timeline I've seen mentioned in other posts looks to be too tight. I haven't seen any 700 MHz licenses in my searches of the FCC database that I believe would support a new system. Every new 700 system I've seen go live in this area in the past few years has been a multi-year buildout, with licenses issued early on, sometimes 3-5 years before the system sees any regular use.

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
I've heard from pretty reliable sources that the state is going to move from Motorola Type II trunking with P25 Voice to Astro Phase 1, Motorola Type 2 Repeater Equipment is probally end of life. I did ask if they would ever go to Phase 2 and the answer was no due to the fact that more towers and planning would be required. I did not ask if there was any plan to change the frequencies, but i'm thinking not. I forget the timeline now, but i think like re-banding they are behind schedule. This is a pretty large undertaking, every radio in the state needs programmed. Also every radio needs to be upgraded or replaced to ensure that it has the license or ability to operate in P25 Phase 1 Trunking. Older radios might not work at all and capable radios need to have the license installed if it's not already.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I've heard from pretty reliable sources that the state is going to move from Motorola Type II trunking with P25 Voice to Astro Phase 1, Motorola Type 2 Repeater Equipment is probally end of life. I did ask if they would ever go to Phase 2 and the answer was no due to the fact that more towers and planning would be required. I did not ask if there was any plan to change the frequencies, but i'm thinking not. I forget the timeline now, but i think like re-banding they are behind schedule. This is a pretty large undertaking, every radio in the state needs programmed. Also every radio needs to be upgraded or replaced to ensure that it has the license or ability to operate in P25 Phase 1 Trunking. Older radios might not work at all and capable radios need to have the license installed if it's not already.

They have had appropriations to buy new equipment over 6 years, and is currently in the middle of that period. They have also previously invested in new / replacement tower structures that I've mapped is southern Delaware, so transitioning the 800 system to P25 Phase 1 (vs. P2) seems likely.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Its definitely going to be a few more years. I was reading some documents are online a couple months ago. And it seemed 2022 or so at the earliest and will probably take much longer

Status
Not open for further replies.