• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New to CBs, a few beginner questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

edweirdFL

4 watts output in AM mode is the maximum allowed by rule for CBs sold in the US, so it's commonplace for the factory to make sure that all ship out the door under that limit to ensure compliance even if there's some variability in the component tolerances or the manufacturing process.

I also looked up the meter you are using, and it's not an expensive well calibrated piece of profession test gear. I wouldn't be surprised if it's reading wasn't spot on accurate.

Unless there's some sort of corrosion or loose connection issue with your power cord, I wouldn't think it was affecting the power output, as the power demands of your stock radio simply aren't close to the limit of what it can provide.

Blackswan73

This is the successor to the Paradynamics meter, which I have found to be quite accurate enough. I actually compared a Para 600 with a Bird, and was impressed. The Para will work on frequencies from 80m through 2 meter

FiveFilter

D Celt, it sounds like you're all fixed up. At two watts, your CB is producing less than the legal max of four watts, but the practical difference between two and four watts is practically zero. Those two extra allowed watts are not likely to make any difference regarding distance or quality to the receiving stations you might talk with on the highway. I will note that all of my CBs are less than four watts, and one is right at two watts like yours is. It works as well as any of the others I use.

About the question of removing the mag mount to get into low-ceiling parking spots, no problems at all. In fact, that's the main benefit of the mag mounts: the flexibility of easy installation and removal. Indeed, I only put my CB antennas on my vehicles when I go on trips. Otherwise, my magnetic antennas are either in the car or in the garage. Same with my radios: I use compact, easily moved CBs, and they are only plugged-up for use in the car when I go on the road.

Oh, and about plugging into the 12 volt port in the car. That's exactly what I do. My CBs draw less than 2 amps, and my vehicles' 12 volt ports are rated at 10 or 15 amps or more. So, there's no problem with using them for the CB. It is often recommended that CB radios be directly connected to the battery. The theory is that doing this could avoid some extraneous electric system "noise" that some cars might suffer from. Fortunately, I've never run into such a problem, and so all three CB radios I have are fixed-up with the 12-volt plugs that go into the cigarette lighter ports.

I use my CBs for getting and receiving traffic and road condition reports on highway trips. It's a great tool for the traveler who is interested in doing that. Even though there usually is not a lot of radio traffic on Channel 19, which is my highway monitoring channel because that's what the truckers use in my area, it's still there for instant use. Channel 19 really comes alive when and where a big wreck occurs and the truckers are looking for and giving information regarding what happened, what alternatives routes they might take to avoid the hold-up, what lane they should be in to best get by the wreck if it's too late for alternative routes, etc.

And about the radio hogs who have nothing better to do than dominate the channels with overbearing equipment, usually I lose them in a few miles of travel. One encouraging though is, if they make a big enough nuisance of themselves, the FCC may get enough complaints to do something about them. There are cases that result in big fines and loss of radio privileges for such inconsiderate behavior,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.