New to Forums and sayin' Hi! w/questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Forum! I've had my new Uniden BCD396xt Scanner for a month now, it's programmed and I'm having so much fun listening to it. I'm still green with everything of course so I just wanted to start of with two questions.
*In your opinion what's a good antenna(other than stock) for this particular scanner, road or home?
and..
*Is there and I missed it..or will there be a "freescan" for mac? Obviously I used a PC (very old one on it's last leg..) to get-er-done but my Mac is brand new and it would be nice to use it on my mac.

Thanks for all suggestions and opinions, All Welcome!
Thanks

Dewey

Concerning your antenna question, are you looking for a different "duck", mobile, or base antenna? Also, what bands are you primarily interested in? Concerning a different duck, you will find that a lot of us really like the Radio Shack 800MHz antenna (~ $20). While it is made for 800 MHz and will beat the included duck on 800 MHz hands down, it also gives decent performance on UHF and VHF-Hi as well. No duck is going to give "great" performance on VHF-Lo unless you end up going to something over a foot long.

Dewey

TexasBigEars

Welcome to the forums, originalvalleykid . I just installed a home base antenna using 30 foot of 1 1/4" steel pipe with a Spider antenna (SP80075BN - Spider Base Station Scanner Antenna at WalcottCB.com) mounted on the top. I am receiving excellent transmissions from counties over 75 miles away!!! Apparently, "line-of-site" is amazing in my area! I hope this may help you in making an antenna decision...I am very pleased with my choice. Good luck in your scanning future.

Bill

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Diamond RH-77

Hey Forum! I've had my new Uniden BCD396xt Scanner for a month now, it's programmed and I'm having so much fun listening to it. I'm still green with everything of course so I just wanted to start of with two questions.
*In your opinion what's a good antenna(other than stock) for this particular scanner, road or home?
and..
*Is there and I missed it..or will there be a "freescan" for mac? Obviously I used a PC (very old one on it's last leg..) to get-er-done but my Mac is brand new and it would be nice to use it on my mac.

Thanks for all suggestions and opinions, All Welcome!
Thanks

If your looking for a NEW Antenna to Replace the stock rubber duck,This diamond antenna is GREAT. Here are 2 links to show you the antenna,but there are many places that carry this model. It comes with either BNC or SMA connection your choice...I have 2 of these and works Great with my Ham HT or my various scanners.

Diamond RH77CA Amateur HT Antenna
Ham Radio Outlet | DIAMOND RH-77CA | 2M/440 HT ANT+ RX 120/300/800MHZ

TLandry

DannB is right

The RH77CA would be your best choice for your scanner in all bands.

except 800mhz the Radio Shack would be better on that band, but no match for the other.

I have both so I tested them.

kb8rvp

I like the Seeker 800 gain duckie antenna as I listen to almost all 800MHz and it really pulls in weak signals. I also had to pickup a right angle BNC male/female connector when I use it on my base scanners but not needed if just used on a handheld. You can check it out at Radioware & Radio Bookstore Radio Hobbyist Catalog and click on scanner antenna-scanner.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.