New to Galveston, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scout23

I am new to Galveston and I really would love to hear what is going on. I am really confused as to which scanner will work here. I would like to listen to the police, car to car, if possible. The Whistler WS1065 Desktop Digital Scanner is the scanner that I have my eye on, but I don't know if it will work here. I hate to spend the money and then find out that I chose the wrong one. The last scanner I used was analog and that was many years ago when I lived in Missouri.

Thank you for your help and patience with a newbie here.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think I found the answer to my question. I need one that is Phase 2 capable and this one is not. :-(
While most of Galveston County agencies are P25 Phase I, some talkgroups have made the switch to Phase II. Eventually, all will need to upgrade to Phase I, from what I've seen posted in the past. The same applies to agencies in Harris County. Those that are now only Phase I, will eventually need to upgrade for Phase II usage.

So, yes, Phase II is what you need. There are a number of scanners available from Uniden and Whistler that can track Phase II systems. Besides new, don't overlook the possibility of a good condition, previously owned unit. Besides the classifieds here on RadioReference, check online sites such as eBay & Craig's list, plus pawn shops, yard/garage sales, as well as estate sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.