New to PSR-400 Question>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

nissanzx1

Greetings, I just got my GRE PSR-400 today! First impression is it feels like a quality radio. I am pretty stoked :) My plan is to eventually use it mobile.

I could use advice where manual programming and scanning is concerned. My local police, etc use Motorola Type II Smartnet Analog. I have programmed in the (15) 800MHZ freq's that my local system uses in memory 1-15. When I scan and press mode and go to MOT:, I can see the correct talk group numbers for my local police and fire. However, I can't seem to figure out how to make it track those talk groups. Do I need to manually enter each talk group somehow? I am used to Uniden BC245XLT where you enter the freq's and hit "trunk" and she's all set to track the groups.

The user manual is a bit vague and I can't seem to find specific instructions on how to scan trunked frequencies whereby seeing the talk groups. Any light anyone can shed would be great. This looks like a fantastic site for scanner enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

-Grant

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
New to PSR-400 Questions>>

Welcome to radioreference Grant, I also own a GRE PSR-400, it's a quality scanner, however I don't use mine for trunking, check the "Trunking" section in the WIKI forum, it should be a great help to you, also some very knowlegable members who read your post will more then likely assist you in your endeavor, good luck & again, welcome.

FLRAILMAN

nissanzx1

Thanks for the responses and the welcome. I was able to solve the problem after some extensive reading and trial and error with programming. The big problem is I had all the freqs programmed, and I only needed the primary control freqs to start the trunk tracking. To hold the talk group, I just hold the Trunking button.

The scanner is already set-up mobile. Drove the car earlier, and I am going to really enjoy this set-up. Sounds great and the unit is not physically huge (a big plus to me). It is nice I didn't have to go to the extra expense of paying for a programming cable or software.

I may be picking up another one of these for another vehicle I have, but I think I will see how it works out for awhile.

-Grant

scnnr

Thanks for the responses and the welcome. I was able to solve the problem after some extensive reading and trial and error with programming. The big problem is I had all the freqs programmed, and I only needed the primary control freqs to start the trunk tracking. To hold the talk group, I just hold the Trunking button.

The scanner is already set-up mobile. Drove the car earlier, and I am going to really enjoy this set-up. Sounds great and the unit is not physically huge (a big plus to me). It is nice I didn't have to go to the extra expense of paying for a programming cable or software.

I may be picking up another one of these for another vehicle I have, but I think I will see how it works out for awhile.

-Grant

Since these scanners don't have a 'V Folder' backup option I would advise spending the $20 to $30 on the programming cable . then you would be able to save all your hard work that you did manually programming the scanner.

I have the PSR 300 and programmed it virtually all by hand as well then got the PSR 500 which came with the cable.

nissanzx1

Since these scanners don't have a 'V Folder' backup option I would advise spending the $20 to $30 on the programming cable . then you would be able to save all your hard work that you did manually programming the scanner.

I have the PSR 300 and programmed it virtually all by hand as well then got the PSR 500 which came with the cable.

This is a good point, Thank You. I may eventually end up with the cable...

-Grant

nissanzx1

New problem today with the new scanner. I powered it up and it would not trunk scan. Ended up that I needed to program ALL frequencies not just the control channels. Apparently, the control channel changes from one day to the next.

I programmed in all the frequencies and we are in business again... Hopefully, this helps someone else if they face the same problem.

-Grant

scnnr

Actually all you needed to do is program in all the frequencies in Red for Topeka
856.48750 857.48750 858.48750 859.48750 860.73750

When programming in all the control channels in Red and Alternate in blue are the best way.

Status
Not open for further replies.