New to scanners need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjones376

Premium Subscriber
Decided to finally buy a scanner but don't know which one I know I want a digital one have been looking at the home patrol 1&2's but also looking at the BDC996P2 which one would be better will be mostly use in the home

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
You really can't go wrong with ether one, Remember the Home Patrol 1 is not Phase 2, so do your home work on the type of systems in your area .

Also a outside scanner antenna, with good coax, brings your scanner to life.

Bjones376

Premium Subscriber
I have been if do the homepatrol it's going to be the 2 but I'm leaning towards the BDC996P2 i figure it won't get outdated as quick

smithken

Premium Subscriber
The Homepatrol has the advantage of being up and scanning very quickly, just enter a zip code and it's scanning. The problem with this is that it will probably be scanning a lot of stuff you're not interested in, you can eliminate the stuff you don't want however.

The 996P2 has to be programmed from scratch, either manually on the scanner or with computer software and it will take longer for it to be scanning for you. I don't think the 996P2 will work with ProVoice or DMR, the BCDx36HP models will work with ProVoice and DMR but it will cost extra for the firmware. I don't know if there is firmware for the HP2 for ProVoice and/or DMR.

I don't have experience with these 2 scanners but I have experience with similar scanners, the 996T and the BCD536HP. I ended up spending a lot of time setting both scanners up the way I wanted them and I prefer the 996T. It doesn't seem to me that there is an advantage of one over the other as far as being outdated, the best thing you do for future proofing is getting a phase 2 compatible scanner and both the 996P2 and the HP2 are phase compatible.

Bjones376

Premium Subscriber
All I want it for is listening to fire ems and law enforcement and maybe occasionally the airport since its only a half mile away

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
Assuming you have Phase 2 in your Neighborhood. I would go with a 996p2.

It will take more time to program, but worth it at the end

Nasby

Get the Homepatrol 1.

Phase 2 action in Ohio is way, way far away (if ever).

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
Nasby is correct, no P2 in your area, The Home patrol 1 would be it...... I use one here in The L.A Basin hooked up to my ST2 and love it.

I was assuming you had P2 in your monitoring area

Bjones376

Premium Subscriber
Ok since there is no P2 in my area would the BCT15X be a better option i just don't want to spend a fortune and I'm liking the base style more

Nasby

Ok since there is no P2 in my area would the BCT15X be a better option i just don't want to spend a fortune and I'm liking the base style more

You definitely will need a digital scanner.

The BCT15X is not digital capable.

You could actually use a BCD396T (which is less inexpensive but older scanner) for your area.

eaf1956

Feed Provider

If you want to save money and still need a digital scanner try to stick with the x96XT series like the 396Xt handheld or 996Xt base scanner. They are much better scanners than the x96T series. And they are out of date too so should sell used pretty cheap.

Bjones376

Premium Subscriber
Ok after long research and comparison I've decided to go with the 996P2 got it for less than a hp2 and the average going price of a hp1

eaf1956

Feed Provider
What's the best software to use to program the 996xt and is it hard to program?

The 996XT can be programed with FREESCAN (Free) ARC XT ( about $50) and Proscan (also about $50) Not hard to program once you understand Uniden's memory architecture.

Of course, if you are a gluton you can hand or manual program it too.

Note: most programming software uses Radio Reference and you require a subscription to RR to D/L database info into them.

Having just read where you decided on the P2 it can be programed with the exact same software.

lu81fitter

Just a note, but I think that if you are using Freescan to program a 996P2, there is a beta version that must be used. If I am wrong, please correct me. I think that was stated in another thread I read on here somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.