new to scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

colvillegreg

hi to all , I am sure this has probably been asked but , I am waiting on a new bct 15x from scanner master I want to mount an antenna on the side of my shop.the shop is all metal siding and roof -question is how high above the roof line should the antenna be?I have a inexpensive radio shack discone type antenna and rg58 cable.Wee live up on the side of a mountain in the woods at about 3100 elevation in Stevens county WA.I will probably upgrade to a better antenna if I need to but this hopefully will get me started! The scanner is coming pre-programmed being that I am a not at all computer or scanner smart! ANy help or ideas are great! thanks again !

Blackink

I have a ST2 antenna mounted about 12 feet above the peak on my metal roof and it works great. My house has vinyl siding but the roof with a 4-12 pitch has metal. The antenna is mounted on one end of the house.

I too have a BCT15x so I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

N8IAA

hi to all , I am sure this has probably been asked but , I am waiting on a new bct 15x from scanner master I want to mount an antenna on the side of my shop.the shop is all metal siding and roof -question is how high above the roof line should the antenna be?I have a inexpensive radio shack discone type antenna and rg58 cable.Wee live up on the side of a mountain in the woods at about 3100 elevation in Stevens county WA.I will probably upgrade to a better antenna if I need to but this hopefully will get me started! The scanner is coming pre-programmed being that I am a not at all computer or scanner smart! ANy help or ideas are great! thanks again !

Welcome to RR! The discone should do well with the scanner. The antenna should clear the roof by the bottom of the discone ( the ground plane radials). RG-58 should be good for the frequencies you will be monitoring. Don't go over 100' on the coax. 50' or less is better.
Let us know what happens when it's set up.
Larry

colvillegreg

new scanner

thanks all I will go above the roof peak by 2 or 3 feet. I am building my own mount and mast out of alumminum, I have a copper ground rod to drive in the ground but will have to wait till spring since we are frozen up here! may be able to get something in the ground that will work till then!I will keep ya'll posted on how it all works!thanks again

N8IAA

thanks all I will go above the roof peak by 2 or 3 feet. I am building my own mount and mast out of alumminum, I have a copper ground rod to drive in the ground but will have to wait till spring since we are frozen up here! may be able to get something in the ground that will work till then!I will keep ya'll posted on how it all works!thanks again

Try a tripod attached to some plywood. The mast should at least take you up above the metal sides of the shed.
HTH,
Larry

wtp

why wait

when i moved to florida, i just sat my rs discone on the ground for a few hours and could pick up a sat on 150.0 mhz. and when left alone at my house it sat as a sick christmas tree on my dining room table. so try to enjoy it now. when i bought it i was in new jersey 1980somthing i caught a florida 27mhz football relay to an a.m. radio station. no rules to receive so try anything
enjoy.

scannersnstuff

i think 150.000 is a russian orbiting satellite. you can probably pick it up anywhere. i have in n.j.

colvillegreg

new scanner up and runnin!!

Well I got it off the ups truck and after mounting the antenna,{had to convince the "war dept" to come hold the ladder] got the coax on an turned it on -so far so good.reception is very clear and good ! Not gonna touch any buttons as I am stilll reading the user guide and looking at the cd- they sent with the scanner, Programming seems to all be there-police sheriff,fire DOT and county maintainence. we got weather movin in so that ought to pick up the traffic a little bit. colville out!

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hello colvillegreg and welcome to RR.

It sounds like you're having a good time with the new scanner already.

Hope it provides you with many hours of enjoyment.

Russell

colvillegreg

thanks all seems to be gettineverything around here pretty good -one question, I have one freq.[154.8150] that just comes on as static noise only two bars on the transmission icon on the screen.would a adjusting the antenna -say a slight turn help or maybe just a better antenna this on is bargain basement stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.