New to scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiAngel

I got a Uniden BC125AT scanner and as I began to read the instructions I became confused. When I press "scan" it says all channels are locked". I tried to unlock the channels and it said I did and that nothing was locked, however when I press scan it still says it is locked. All I want to do is try to find certain frequencies, such as Police. Can someone explain to me how I do this?

ChibiAngel

I live in St. John's Newfoundland, Canada. It did come with a manual however it is a bit tricky to understand since I am new to it. When I first turned it on it never said any channels locked or scan mode locked, it was only after trying different things that it said this.

N8IAA

I live in St. John's Newfoundland, Canada. It did come with a manual however it is a bit tricky to understand since I am new to it. When I first turned it on it never said any channels locked or scan mode locked, it was only after trying different things that it said this.

What the scanner is telling you, is that it has no frequencies programmed into the memories.
Go to the Radio Reference Wiki to get the info on the scanner. You'll need to do a firmware update and get the free programming software from Uniden. Once you upgrade the firmware, Use the frequencies in the RR database to put frequencies in what ever memory bank you wish. You may want to ask in the Maritime Province forum further down the forums page. You'll probably get a bunch of help there:) Enjoy the scanner.
Larry

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the site..... , dont get frustrated with the radio, keep tinkering and dont be shy to ask for help, thats what this site is great at.....

nanZor

This is pretty common even when someone has actually programmed frequencies into the scanner, but has toggled off all the banks - so there is another way for there to be nothing to scan. Toggling at least one bank back on fixes that.

In the meantime, another option is to do a generic service search instead of a scan:

* Power up the scanner
* If it is already scanning, hit the orange "Func" key. Then press "Srch/Svc" key.
* You can now toggle the banks of pre-programmed service searches on and off. Police is bank 1.

If you accidentally toggle off ALL the service-search banks, you'll see a similar warning about there being "Nothing to Search" in the display. Toggle at least one of those banks back on.

There is much more to discover, but at least you may be able to hear something interesting while looking up how to program the exact frequencies for your area into the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.