New to scanning need info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefreak5902

Looking to be able to purchase a portable radio capable of receiving fdny radio at long distances up to 100 miles from city. Is this possible. Sorry I have no technical experience in radios

teufler

Not sure where you live. Radio networks may be just a local system, vhf with a tower at the office that is for a local dept or a cty sheriff. As has been noted, that system can not be monitored more than maybe 40 miles. If you live on a mtn, your reception range will be far greater. Now if the systems you would listen too are trunking system, with towers all over the state, 100 miles is not uncommon. Off of the radio , rubber duck, no, but if you attach your receive er to an outside antenna, yes. So I don't know where you live, your surroundings that might increase or decrease your reception, the radio systems , the type of antenna. I could go on, but there are just too many variables than can effect your range.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might consider exploring Broadcastify and see if one of their feeds may get you want you want. https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/

These things are internet based, so if someone has a feed covering what you desire to hear, and you have internet access, distance is not a factor.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Reception range of 100 miles using a portable, unless you're tethered to a high-altitude balloon, would be fairly impossible. As another poster suggested, consider Broadcastify via Internet as a source for the FDNY.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.