New to scanning- Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkewman

I got a Pro 97, and i think it's the best scanner for a beginner (if you don't need digital)

but when you travel to places that use digital, you'll find yourself longing for a digital scanner.

but if you can't afford digital, get the 97. i can't say enough about it!

:)

SCPD

QRT
Good Grief!! This is for the most part a hobbyiest's forum and hobbys are supposed to be fun. Using a hobby to make dispariging comments about a county agency and implying, or saying that the only real agencies are Federal, is not needed here. I'm retired from a Federal agency but found professionalism and dedication in dozens of state and local agencies in the four states I lived and worked in. Federal law enforcement officers are for the most part POST certified just like the "local yokuls". I've visited Marin County on many occassions and once was involved in a situation where the locals responsed to an incident south of the southern boundary of Point Reyes National Seashore. The two officers were professional and helpful.

When I worked for the Federal government I found that the "Federal superiority" attitude was not useful. Each level of goverment and each agency has a role in a big picture and if any of the ingrediants are missing the overall job can't get done properly.

Maybe it is time a moderator locked this thread. A person asked a simple and valid question. After reading this thread he might be tempted not to buy any scanner or continue on this website in spite of the helpful advice almost everyone has tried to give him here.

Last edited:

RolnCode3

Not going to Iraq!

Dude. I'm dying over here. Hopefully the thread starter has either found his answer somewhere in here, or has sought help on some other board.

BTW-He did ask on BayScan Yahoo group. He got the same info, but without the job offers.

Last edited:

JoeyC

It appears Ranch is more interested in theatrics, drama and getting in the last word. The guy is in the market to hear Novato PD (as evidenced by his prior posts). In that case, any digital capable trunk tracker will do, including those models that will NOT survive rebanding. With the approaching rebanding in the future those non-survivable units can occasionally be found for really good prices used.

Pay attention, one more time, the Marin County "MERA" is a 480 mHz system and REBANDING IS IRRELEVANT to its operation.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Elist?

This might be a stupid question, but what is "Elitist?" :confused: Is there some sort of website, like www.bensbargains.net, for insider information about sales and discounts on technology products? Or are you all just refering to the normal meaning of the word, "the sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class."

Sorry for my ignorance in this area.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
hotdjdave said:
This might be a stupid question, but what is "Elitist?" :confused: Is there some sort of website, like www.bensbargains.net, for insider information about sales and discounts on technology products? Or are you all just refering to the normal meaning of the word, "the sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class."

Sorry for my ignorance in this area.

The meaning of elitist is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion the use of it in this thread was unnecessary. It is often used as an emotional trigger word in order to take the discussion away from the actual issue by moving the participants from using rational thinking and instead using emotion and reaction. It usually does not serve a useful purpose as it stereotypes portions of the people interested in or affected by the issues being discussed. It results in name calling, a trend in politics proudly embraced by many, that does not serve a useful purpose in that it usually polarizes factions.

When I worked for the U.S. Forest Service I would often observe discussion of issues in which one interest group or another would label another interest group as "elitist". One use of the word really amused me when the motorized recreation groups would call the non-motorized recreation groups elitists. I would later start to drive to a trailhead in my 28 year old 4WD loaded with backpacking gear while enroute to a trailhead for a trip to the backcountry. I do this frequently and in weather that some others stay out of so my equipment is of high quality. Despite this my expenditures on equipment for backpacking, cross country skiing, and winter camping might total $5000 over the past 40 years. When I'm passed by a large motorhome or one of those big trucks towing 2-6 snowmobiles or motocycles I realize I've spent less on all my equipment than the cost of just the trailer to haul the motorized recreation equipment behind the $35,000 truck or $100,000 dollar motor home. As they go by I realize that some would label me as the "elitist" and this leaves me wondering, considering my observation of the amount of money spent on each activity, what people are trying to say when the use the word. In my line of work it was essential to detach one's own values and emotions from the issues we dealt with in order to accomplish our mission. Our communication styles had to be scientific in nature in that we had to proof read our written communication and be very conscious of our speech in order to eliminate the use of emotionally charged language. No matter how we felt personally about an issue we would often be amazed by the communication techniques employed by all the different interest groups.

PBS recently reaired a segment of the series "Frontline" called "The Persuaders" in which the use of emotionally charged words in advertising and politics by corporations and parties is documented. There are market research firms who specialize in finding these words and charge millions and tens of millions of dollars to clients who then use them to influence people with the intented goal of getting them to stop thinking and use irrational emotion based decision making. Information on the program can be obtained by going to www.pbs.org.

None of my message has anything to do with radio which seems to validate the point I made in an earlier post that your original question has not been the purpose of several posts and resulted from a few rather inflammatory messages. I can only guess at what "Ranch" is trying to convey as some of his statements appear to be loaded, that is, they seem to be stated in the context of a discussion about radio but appear to contain reference to a lot of other issues that don't directly relate to the subject of the orginal post.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Just Trying to Point Out Site

hotdjdave said:
This might be a stupid question, but what is "Elitist?" :confused: Is there some sort of website, like www.bensbargains.net, for insider information about sales, and discounts on technology products? Or are you all just refering to the normal meaning of the word, "the sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class." Sorry for my ignorance in this area.
Umm, this was just my encripted way of pointing out that www.bensbargains.net is a website that has insider information on sales, discounts, and bargains on hi-tech products; a site that its publishers use to list special deals on products, sometimes not readily available to the public.

So, you see, we can all be "elitists" with the insider information we find there. But thanks for the dissertation. :wink:

"Socratic irony: admission of your own ignorance and willingness to learn while exposing someone's inconsistencies by close questioning."
"Satire: Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity."

Last edited:

RolnCode3

hotdjdave said:
Umm, this was just my encripted way of pointing out that www.bensbargains.net is a website that has insider information on sales, discounts, and bargains on hi-tech products; a site that its publishers use to list special deals on products, sometimes not readily available to the public.
Went WAY over my head as well. Thanks for the link, though. I'll have to dig around and see what good stuff I can max out my credit cards on!

SCPD

QRT
So, you see, we can all be "elitists" with the insider information we find there. But thanks for the dissertation

Sorry guys, I missed what your point was and wrote a dissertation. I'm often guility of telling a person how a watch works when they only asked what time it is. I need to work on that one.

Ranch

RolnCode3 pass the Olympic Torch, Go to Iraq & listen to action on a new frequency!

hotdjdave said:

So, you see, we can all be "elitists" with the insider information we find there. But thanks for the dissertation. :wink:

"Socratic irony: admission of your own ignorance and willingness to learn while exposing someone's inconsistencies by close questioning."
"Satire: Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity."

Exsmokey said:
After reading this thread he might be tempted not to buy any scanner

True. He's told ONLY a Digital scanner will do by some elements here because MERE is the only Agency and only thing worth listening to. Some even are so self-serving that they define what the hobby is, i.e., listening only to Andy and Barney. They say anything else is NOT interesting. So if he can't afford digital he doesn't buy any scanner and pursue the hobby.

A simple $30 or cheaper Analog scanner will do to pick up Agencies and his local area. If other people in that area and anywhere else read this thread, they'll be motivated to buy a cheap analog scanner and enjoy something even if they can't afford digital. That's something some of you can't accept.

We're going by what he says on this thread, not what he says on other sites he's been directed to by some of you sending him private messages. He has not said he wants to ONLY listen to Novato Police Department in this thread. He mentioned Agencies and not spending a lot. Since the original question asked about Agencies, Police and Sheriff's did not come to mind.

Exsmokey said:
Using a hobby to make disparaging comments about a county agency and implying, or saying that the only real agencies are Federal, is not needed here.

There is nothing "disparaging" about Andy and Barney. Funny you should think that because many would take offense. Andy and Barney represent the universal IDEAL in a department. Very little corruption, honesty, integrity and dedication at the highest level humanly possible. What current day real life Police or Sheriff's DEPARTMENTS can claim the same? Those that can, would represent the elite at the Department level.

Some of us are using the hobby to learn and aid others into not becoming close minded, that County and Digital are not the holy grail. Some of you are using the hobby to define what it is or should be to others, and nothing else is interesting or worthy. Had the thread been locked, only your sides closed views and misrepresentations would be available to the reader.

With the best of intentions, it a commonly held view, that Federal are Agencies and Sheriffs and Police are Departments. Photograph the architecture at your Sheriff's and Police and you'll see the word followed by DEPARTMENT. Is this disparaging? No, it is reality.

Newbies should be educated about the differences amongst Agencies, Departments, etc.

Exsmokey said:
I found that the "Federal superiority" attitude was not useful.

You accept the "Local superiority" attitude. Some posters speak as if they represent the hobby. They speak as if the only Agencies out there and only thing worth listening to are on MERE only. That is a superiority yet something you do not mention or scorn. Interesting "objectivity."

JoeyC said:
Pay attention, one more time, the Marin County "MERA" is a 480 mHz system and REBANDING IS IRRELEVANT to its operation.

Pay attention, one more time, if anyone can't afford digital, MERE IS IRRELEVANT. You're limiting the hobby, I'm opening it up to many.

With rebanding the scanner will become and is NATIONALLY obsolete. Will you trade him your rebanded New Pro96 for his New not-rebanded Pro96? Of course not. If at the same price, or near price, more people would prefer a rebanded new scanner that is not NATIONALLY OBSOLETE with the new and latest cpu chip, even in Marin County, over one that is not and maybe has to be sent back with a FEE, disassembled and worked on with all the problems that may follow that others have experienced, regret and scorned.

hotdjdave said:
So, you see, we can all be "elitists" with the insider information we find there.

hotdjdave, the Radio Shack "Friends and Family" 30% off is an example of "insider" since it benefits ONLY the "Friends and Family" at the discretion of some Radio Shack employees. Everyone cannot benefit, only a secretly selected few at the discretion of some of their employees. This is not only insider, but it is discriminatory and MAY be illegal or unfair as well. Someone will have sue and let a Court make the determination.

Haven't reviewed your web link, but if you've found brand new Pro 96 etc. sold by Radio Shack to EVERYONE for $280 then that's not insider or elitist. Let us know.

Friend of mine saw DVD's on your site offered at a low price at Best Buy. If you go to Best Buy you'll see the same, no coupon necessary, EVERYONE gets that low price. The Radio Shack matter is not the same since EVERYONE does not qualify. Nice try, but no cigar.

hotdjdave said:
This might be a stupid question, but what is "Elitist?"

Some say Elitists are those with the Uniden Only scanners and who secretly buy RS scanners wearing dark glasses and in disguise so as to not be recognized. Non-elitists have RS scanners and anything else held together with duct tape, they only dream about Uniden scanners.

RolnCode3 said:
Not going to Iraq!

Come on, pass the Olympic Torch you've held on for so long to someone else, change jobs and go. You wanted to hear action. Only trying to help. Let's hope The Secretary Of Defense and Arnold utilize the fine highly motivated action seeking manpower pool you personally have to offer in your "Agency" to address troop shortages in Iraq and other "hot spots" for immediate front line duty. If not, a US contractors job will do, even food service.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
www.bensbargains.net is a website that posts sales, discounts, and deals. Some of the postings are available to a select group only, but the publishers dig up the information and provide you with the "access code." Many times, it is a coupon code given only to employees of a company or something similar. For example, HP gives and employee discount to employees of Company A, and they can get this discount by accessing a certain web link and entering in the coupon code. www.bensbargains.net finds this information and posts it on their site. But more often, they find deals and discounts that are generally available to the general public, but not always easy to find.

My wife and I used to work for Sears (long ago - it is where we met). They used to have (and may still have) a "Family Appreciation Day" in late November. Every employee and/or family member of an employee got a 10% discount on top of the 10% discount they already got. It wasn't actually a 20% discount, because the math does not work out that way, but it came to about a 19% discount. On top of that, the entire store had sales and mark downs on many items. Later on in the day, the store was open the public who were able to take advantage of the deals (without the discounts). Employees did not get bonuses (e.g. a Christmas bonus), so this kind of took place of that.

I don't see having an employee appreciation day as being "elitist;” privileged maybe. With that thinking, an employee discount would be elitist as well, and many, if not most, employees of retail companies get some sort of discount.

RolnCode3

Wow. Can we just close this thread. I sent a PM to the original poster asking if his question had been answered, and as far as I can tell it was never even read (that was on 1-3-06). He hasn't posted any replies and seems to have no activity. We're just slowly spiralling into a black hole of absurdity.

Last edited:

Ranch

hotdjdave said:
http://www.bensbargains.net/ is a website that posts sales, discounts, and deals. Some of the postings are available to a select group only, but the publishers dig up the information and provide you with the "access code." Many times, it is a coupon code given only to employees of a company or something similar. For example, HP gives and employee discount to employees of Company A, and they can get this discount by accessing a certain web link and entering in the coupon code.

Is it legal for Joe Average Citizen to also use that "access code" even though they're not an employee, etc.? Any past problems you've heard about others using those codes?

hotdjdave said:
http://www.bensbargains.net/ finds this information and posts it on their site. But more often, they find deals and discounts that are generally available to the general public, but not always easy to find.

Yes some nice prices. Hope to see Uniden and RS scanners, and those elusive $50 Lap Tops too. Thanks for posting.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I think we're finished here. If the thread starter has any further questions please ask in the appropriate forum. Thanks!

[CLOSED]

-W

Status
Not open for further replies.