New to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph05

Hi, I grew up listing to my Dad's scanner and he was a ham radio guy too. I would like to purchase a scanner and have been reading lots of information and I'm just not sure what unit would be best. I'm interested in getting something that will work for years to come and not be outdated soon. I really can't say what interests me yet because I think I'll know that after I get started. I'm thinking a portable unit would be best for me. I live in central WA but travel all around the state throughout the year. It sounds like digital is the way to go but figured I would ask the experts. Any advice?

RWF

Check out the Uniden Home Patrol II. Easy to operate, easy to program(just download the database from here). Enter your zip code and you are scanning.

And you can use a GPS device so it determines what to scan by your exact location. I drive back and forth over the mountains quite a bit and it works great.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Any scanner that will do P25 phase 2. I have a bcd436hp and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Station51

Home Patrol II

Check out the Uniden Home Patrol II. Easy to operate, easy to program(just download the database from here). Enter your zip code and you are scanning.

And you can use a GPS device so it determines what to scan by your exact location. I drive back and forth over the mountains quite a bit and it works great.

I agree, I bought a Home Patrol II about 6 months ago..
Easy to update off the RR database here every Monday
You can select or deselect the services your wish to monitor.

Having said that.....The AUDIO quality is about a 4 on a 1-10
Just North of $400

Happy listening

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I recommend the BCD436HP over a Home Patrol. It's smaller but packs all the same features and then some. Punch in the zipcode and go!

But, I wouldn't buy one just yet. I would see if there are any new scanners coming out. You don't want to buy a top dollar scanner that came out in 2013 if there might be a new one the horizon.

And if you don't think you'll need P25 Phase II then check out the Uniden 396XT. It's my workhorse scanner. But they don't make it anymore. A shame.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I grew up listing to my Dad's scanner and he was a ham radio guy too. I would like to purchase a scanner and have been reading lots of information and I'm just not sure what unit would be best. I'm interested in getting something that will work for years to come and not be outdated soon. I really can't say what interests me yet because I think I'll know that after I get started. I'm thinking a portable unit would be best for me. I live in central WA but travel all around the state throughout the year. It sounds like digital is the way to go but figured I would ask the experts. Any advice?

Digital IS the way to go. Spokane and Grant counties have P-25 systems up and going (Grant County police forces are even ENC). WSP are going more and more P-25 Phase 2, Pierce Co got a new P-25P2 network; even King County is building a new P-25 Phase 2 network and I heard it through the grapevine that SnoCo will follow suit soon (don't know when though).

In Wenatchee where you live, you could get by with a BC340CRS(base station), or BC125AT (portable). However, elswhere you are better off with a digital scanner (preferably one that can do Phase 2 like the BCD325P2)

Status
Not open for further replies.