New to the BCD996XT (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE5MDH

Premium Subscriber
I purchased my BCD996XT from eBay about a month back. A work in progress is getting my TV tower up so I can attach a few antennas on it. So, for the meantime, I will be working with the supplied indoor antenna. No problem there (for the time being).

Today, I received in via CanadaPost my USB-1 cable which worked flawlessly, yet another item purchased from eBay.

I am a Radio Amateur, VE5MDH in DO60kx. Soon to re-activate my Radio Gear.

OK, onto the BCD996XT Issues.

I have not yet preformed the Firmware Update on the receiver. No problems, once again here.

I was able to figure out how to erase and download from this website via a Premium Subscription, a nice portion of frequencies for Saskatchewan.

Now it Scans what I downloaded today, and even with an indoor antenna, living in the middle of no where ville, I am able to hear distant chatter on a few CB channels, WX freqs. And thats about it for now (have yet to scann everything I downloaded today.

Now here is a simple problem that I am experiencing.

As there is some chatter in the distance (3/4 readability), the unit allows me to listen in for 5 seconds, then it seems to try to scan, even though I have manually reduced the squelch to 0/0. This goes silent for 5 seconds, and the process is repeated over and over again.

I have used the Hold feature, figuring it would eliminate this radio silence, but it has not,

Are you understanding just what I am encountering, and is there a simple method to eliminate the radio silence, so I could listen to a completed conversation?

I have not set any Quick Keys yet, nor anything else. I just downloaded various frequencies, and uploaded them to the receiver. Kinda like a K.I.S.S., but this may seem to not be the best way to do this.

Thanks for taking your time reading my post, and I do hope it brings back a chuckle or two from your own experiences when your own radio was new to you too!

73 de,
Michael
VE5MDH

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Turn off weather alert priority

Weather Alert Priority Turning the weather alert priority feature on allows the scanner to check the weather channels every 5 seconds for a 1050 Hz weather alert signal and still scan or search. If you should receive an alert, you will hear a loud warbling then the weather channel audio. You will see WX in the display when Weather Alert Priority is on. Warning! If you receive an alert it will be at FULL volume.
Note: You can also toggle weather alert priority in scan or search modes by pressing the WX button. Scroll to 'WX Alt Priority' and press E/
scroll.gif

Scroll to On or Off and press E/
scroll.gif
to save and exit.

VE5MDH

Premium Subscriber
Makes sense, since Environment Canada's WX Freqs were part of the frequencies I downloaded, and I can always key them in directly.

Quick Response! (and it worked!).

Case Closed!

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.