New to this whole world, and definately overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

Since the rule change last year ALL FRS channels are shared with GMRS. The GMRS repeater input channels are the only ones not shared.

Just because a radio has a non-removeable antenna and meets the power output limits doesn't mean it is legal to use on FRS. It still has to be Part 95 certified.

nd5y

But isn't the Baofeng UV-82 technically just that; a combo FRS/GMRS transmitter since it does transmit on all of the applicable frequencies of both services? :confused:
No. That's why B-TECH had custom made radios for GMRS and MURS which is basically a UV-82 with custom firmware that prevents transmitting on other channels.

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
No. That's why B-TECH had custom made radios for GRMS and MURS which is basically a UV-82 with custom firmware that prevents transmitting on other channels.
I'm not familiar with the firmware of the Baofeng UV-82. I just looked at the published specifications. Therefore I'll say that I'm no longer sure about the suitability of the UV-82 per this thread and leave it up to you and others...

73, Dave K4EET

nd5y

The FCC will not certify a radio for GMRS-only, FRS-only or MURS-only if the radio is capable of transmitting on other frequencies. They will not certify a radio for more than one FRS/GMRS/MURS service and no new products can be certified for MURS and any other service.

The FCC will certify Part 95 GMRS and Part 90 PLMR in the same radio if the manufactuer applies for both. Most higher end commercial radios are certified for Parts 90, 22, 74, 80 and sometimes 95 but few manufacturers apply for Part 95 and so far none of the Chinese manufacturers or importers have done that.

nottoosmart

So does this mean it’s only illegal to transit on those frequencies and if I only use them on FRS and not GMRS that I can still use as FRS with transmit I can still use them or only to listen to emergency freq and transmit on part 90 (business) freq only?

K4EET

Chaplain
So does this mean it’s only illegal to transit on those frequencies and if I only use them on FRS and not GMRS that I can still use as FRS with transmit I can still use them or only to listen to emergency freq and transmit on part 90 (business) freq only?
I'll let Tom, ND5Y, answer that question... :wink: 73, Dave K4EET

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
OK, so you have a GMRS license. Does the UV-82 have a removable antenna? I think it does. If so, that would make it illegal to use for GMRS. I think the maximum power output would also be in violation of the FCC rules and regulations for GMRS.

As has been stated already, that is not entirely accurate information. I agree that even the current "simplified" rules are still a hot mess... :(

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
If the OP has purchased the Baofeng UV-82 to use exclusively at his job, and the business is properly licensed for the frequencies in use, I would think the OP can operate on those frequencies without a separate license. However, the Baofeng advertises itself as an Amateur radio "legal for use on amateur frequencies". So, based on previous posts, and considering that the Baofeng may not have the required FCC certification, then it appears that it would be technically illegal to use the Baofeng for non-Amateur use.

nd5y

Amateur radio operators can use any equipment no matter if it has FCC certification or not. They can also build their own equipment. Other radio services require FCC certified equipment.

An amateur radio licenses does not cover frequencies in other radio services.

A GMRS licenses does not cover frequencies in other radio services.

Look on the back of the radio and see if it says Part 90.
Most Baofeng UV-82s don't have FCC certification. Some of them have Part 90 and some are a different model UV-82C which is Part 90.

A Baofeng UV-82 without Part 90 is not legal to transmit anywhere except amateur radio frequencies by a licensed amateur radio operator. You can't legally use it for anything else except for receive only.

A Baofeng UV-82 or UV-82C with Part 90 certification is only legal to use on Industrial/Business Pool or Public Safety Pool frequencies by individuals who are authorized by a licensee in those services. It is still not legal to use on FRS, GMRS or MURS. In this case it is even illegal to program transmit frequencies in the radio that the user/licensee is not licensed to transmit on.

nottoosmart

Ok so I’ll use for work with their license and then I’ll work on getting a proper part 95 radio so I am within regulations and not have the potential of a fine from FCC. While doing that I’ll save up for a “real” GMRS radio so that I can work on this. It seems like this will be a fun hobby for me. Thank you all for your time and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.