New to this whole world, and definately overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottoosmart

I am new to this whole amateur radio hobby. I have been searching for days to figure this out and finally got to the point where I cant search anymore.

Work has Motorola CLS-1411 radios and I have Baofeng UV-82's. I am trying to figure out how to program in the channels listed in the manual (Page 44) for the Motorola's into my Radio with CHIRP. I cant say I have tried everything because if I had it would be working. I have no issues with hearing the Motorola's using thier channel 2 but when i try and transmit they hear a very loud (enough to make someone deaf) tone. Not sure what I am doing wrong but work told me to fix it before I can use my radio there. (The Motorola radios are not very good).
I have searched everywhere for a csv with the Cheap radio frequencies and setting for CHIRP so I could just import them but I haven't found them yet.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/c...s/cls_series_radios/cls_series_user_guide.pdf

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I am new to this whole amateur radio hobby. I have been searching for days to figure this out and finally got to the point where I cant search anymore.

First, lets not equate what you are trying to do as amateur radio. The frequencies you would be using are not amateur radio. I really stand to be corrected, but I do not believe all Baofeng radios are certified to be used on non amateur frequencies. And this kind of shows why there are licensed radios and users to prevent unintentional or intentional interference to licensed users.

As for the tone, how far away from other radios were you? Could it have been feedback from transmitting to close to another radio on the same frequency?

nottoosmart

So I do have an amateur radio license I believe as I got my call sign from the FCC but that’s where I got lost. As for this I understand it not being licensed for commercial. I don’t want to get in trouble so I will just buy one of the 1411’s to save myself from trouble lol. As for the tone, I wasnt near any one when I did it but I heard it went through to ever one of my co workers (about 20) radios. Thank you both for the info. I’ll just play with these to try and get them on a local repeater if possible. Still looking for a local radio club around here that doesn’t require a ham certification.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
So I do have an amateur radio license I believe as I got my call sign from the FCC but that’s where I got lost.
Still looking for a local radio club around here that doesn’t require a ham certification.

Sounds like you are not sure if you have an amateur radio license or not. That only adds to the difficulty in sorting out a way to assist you.

nottoosmart

Sounds like you are not sure if you have an amateur radio license or not. That only adds to the difficulty in sorting out a way to assist you.

I agree. Maybe I should start with figuring out what type of license I have first. I know when I purchased them they told me I needed to register and they provided a link to the filing site. I’ll look and see what I have and research what that give me rights for first. Sorry. I’m more of a computer guy than a radio guy but I want to learn and I guess RTM is place to start. I love reading this forum so dictionary here I come lol.

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
I agree. Maybe I should start with figuring out what type of license I have first. I know when I purchased them they told me I needed to register and they provided a link to the filing site. I’ll look and see what I have and research what that give me rights for first. Sorry. I’m more of a computer guy than a radio guy but I want to learn and I guess RTM is place to start. I love reading this forum so dictionary here I come lol.

You have to take an exam for an amateur radio license. It is not all that difficult but does require some study time and concentrated effort.

The inexpensive Chinese radios are easily available so many buy them thinking they can do whatever they want with them like they were old CB radio walkie talkies. That can become a big problem for yourself and others as well.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Hams can correct me if I'm wrong, but receiving an Amateur license requires having passed a 35 question exam first. If you took no test administered by an Amateur Volunteer Examiner, you didn't receive a Ham license from the FCC. That said, there are several other radio services, such as GMRS, that also require licensing. I suspect that's what you have, as it would be consistent with your Motorola radio.

nottoosmart

Hams can correct me if I'm wrong, but receiving an Amateur license requires having passed a 35 question exam first. If you took no test administered by an Amateur Volunteer Examiner, you didn't receive a Ham license from the FCC. That said, there are several other radio services, such as GMRS, that also require licensing. I suspect that's what you have, as it would be consistent with your Motorola radio.

After reading my doc it did say GMRS. So that limits me as to what I can use correct? I don’t want to do the amateur yet because I am still lost and wouldn’t want to waste anyone’s time because I’d fail definitely. With GMRS does that allow me to use the radio on repeaters or does it just mean I have the entrance call name to let me go forward with training and work towards the ham license?

nd5y

A GMRS license only allows you to use GMRS frequencies. Most of the GMRS frequencies are shared with FRS which does not require a license.
If there are any GMRS repeaters in your area you would need to get permission from the owners before using them.
Radios used for GMRS (and FRS) must be FCC Part 95 certified. The UV-82 is not.
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart has the GMRS frequencies and at the top of the article are links to FCC rules and information.

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
OK, so you have a GMRS license. Does the UV-82 have a removable antenna? I think it does. If so, that would make it illegal to use for GMRS. I think the maximum power output would also be in violation of the FCC rules and regulations for GMRS.

What you really need is somebody local to sit down with you and help get you educated on the whole "radio thing" so that you will be better at asking questions and understanding answers. We can help you out here but messaging back and forth is going to be somewhat slow and painful.

73 (ham lingo for best wishes), Dave K4EET

nd5y

Does the UV-82 have a removable antenna? I think it does. If so, that would make it illegal to use for GMRS. I think the maximum power output would also be in violation of the FCC rules and regulations for GMRS.
If the radio isn't Part 95 certified you can't legally use it on GMRS regardless of the antenna type or power output.

K4EET

Chaplain
If the radio isn't Part 95 certified you can't legally use it on GMRS regardless of the antenna type or power output.

That is understood. I was just citing something tangible that the OP could understand to see why it wasn't permitted. Just an example... 73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> With GMRS does that allow me to use the radio on repeaters or does it just mean I have the entrance call name to let me go forward with training and work towards the ham license?

nottoosmart, are you interested in getting your ham radio (Amateur Radio) license? We can put you in touch with material and/or people that would be more than willing to help you out.

73, Dave K4EET

Last edited:

nottoosmart

So I’m reading all the rules and regulations for Part 90 and Part 95 and now I’m wondering what good is the radio I have and what CAN it be used for. It seems like it’s actually certified for the original use I posted for but I lack the correct license for that use and even if I did I can’t use it on the freq work has because that’s a part 95 freq anyway. Is this thing worth even messing with or do I have a decent looking paper weight?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
OK, so you have a GMRS license. Does the UV-82 have a removable antenna? I think it does. If so, that would make it illegal to use for GMRS. I think the maximum power output would also be in violation of the FCC rules and regulations for GMRS.

You're confusing GMRS and FRS. GMRS can use up to 50 watts and can have removeable antennas.

nd5y

So I&#8217;m reading all the rules and regulations for Part 90 and Part 95 and now I&#8217;m wondering what good is the radio I have and what CAN it be used for. It seems like it&#8217;s actually certified for the original use I posted for but I lack the correct license for that use and even if I did I can&#8217;t use it on the freq work has because that&#8217;s a part 95 freq anyway. Is this thing worth even messing with or do I have a decent looking paper weight?
You found out the hard way that most of these cheap Chinese radios lack FCC certification and are not legal to use (for transmitting) for anything but amateur radio in the US. For the average person the UV-82 is a paperweight or a poorly performing scanner.

Ham radio requires you to pass a written exam to obtain an operator license but does not require FCC certified equipment (except for some types of external amplifiers). CB, FRS, GMRS and PLMR don't require skilled and licensed operators (some services are licensed by rule or only have station licenses) but they require that only FCC certified equipment can be used.

K4EET

Chaplain
You're confusing GMRS and FRS. GMRS can use up to 50 watts and can have removeable antennas.
I don't think so...

- The Baofeng UV-82C is only Part 90 certified
- The transmitter has a maximum power output of 5 Watts (switchable to 1 Watt)
- The transmitter has a frequency range of 400 MHz to 520 MHz
- The antenna is removable by way of a SMA connector

Part 95.1767 GMRS transmitting power limits
(c) 467 MHz interstitial channels. The effective radiated power (ERP) of hand-held portable units transmitting on the 467 MHz interstitial channels must not exceed 0.5 Watt. Each GMRS transmitter type capable of transmitting on these channels must be designed such that the ERP does not exceed 0.5 Watt.
Part 95.1761 GMRS transmitter certification
(a) Each GMRS transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the GMRS) must be certified in accordance with this subpart and part 2 of this chapter. [Pre 27 December 2017]
(e) Effective December 27, 2017, the Commission will no longer issue a grant of equipment authorization under this subpart (GMRS) for hand-held portable units if such units meet the requirements to be certified under subpart B of this part (FRS). [Post 27 December 2017]

It is my understanding of the current FCC Rs&Rs that the Baofeng would therefore be illegal for GMRS because it can transmit 5 Watts on the 467 MHz frequencies [95.1767(c)] and depending on the date of manufacture, it is either not Part 95 certified [95.1761(a)] or it does not meet the non-removable antenna requirement of FRS [95.1761(e) per 95.587(b)(1)]

Now I'll admit that I've been wrong before on reading the gazillion rules from the FCC so if I am wrong, please (somebody) feel free to correct me.

73, Dave K4EET

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The sections you cite only apply to FRS/GMRS combo radios. If the radios are GMRS only (don't transmit on the channels shared with FRS) then the removable antenna and ERP limits do not apply.

K4EET

Chaplain
The sections you cite only apply to FRS/GMRS combo radios. If the radios are GMRS only (don't transmit on the channels shared with FRS) then the removable antenna and ERP limits do not apply.
But isn't the Baofeng UV-82 technically just that; a combo FRS/GMRS transmitter since it does transmit on all of the applicable frequencies of both services? :confused:

73, Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.