New to TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo1961

I just received my TRX-1. I programmed it by finding my state , then my county, then I started finding categories etc. from there. I didn't hook it up yet to my computer. Also is it better to program using frequencies or the pre loaded channels?

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
When you enter your zip and go it'll bring all kinds of things in and bog down the scan times.

Loading your own channels (to me) is much better as you can then pick and choose what you see and hear. Plus, the scan times will be better.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
There are several considerations:

• How much radio traffic is in your area? If you are in a radio dense area, irrelevant entries will limit your ability to hear what you want to hear.
  • You probably bought a scanner because you wanted to hear certain things. Better make sure those made it to your active scanlists!
  • Do you want to hear everything or just what's in a single (not complete) database?
  • Are you interested in certain departments or any department of a particular profession? For example, if you are only interested in your town, the default import isn't going to make sense; however, if you are only interested in listening to any and all police departments, using the default import with law dispatch, law tac, and law talk enabled will get you started pretty well.
  • Do you want your scanner to scan quickly or succinctly, or would you rather not spend your own time optimizing your scanner?
  • Would you like trunked systems to be optimized?
  • Would you like to hear all talk groups on your local trunked systems?
Certainly, one thing you want to do is turn all of the Squelch settings to "Search."

These are just a few of the things to think about when determining how to best approach programming your scanner to accomplish your goals.

N8IAA

I just received my TRX-1. I programmed it by finding my state , then my county, then I started finding categories etc. from there. I didn't hook it up yet to my computer. Also is it better to program using frequencies or the pre loaded channels?

Make sure that you get all of the updates through EZScan for your scanner. This way, you are assured of having the latest DSP, CPU, and library for your scanner. It also makes it easier to modify what you want to scan. Even the software gets updates. What is on the scanner is not necessarily the latest and greatest.
Larry

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Since the OP is new, there is a substantial lag time in his posts appearing... So I did not see his post before I posted mine, even though it now shows up above.

Theo, I primarily use FCC data, my website (Digital Frequency Quick Import), and RR (mainly for trunked system TGID labels if desired). I also utilize searches on my scanner and on software defined radio. The RR DB is great for getting started on the fly, but, if you want to be fully unlocked to everything around you, it's crucial to "search." Also, the FCC database has a more complete listing.

Theo1961

Wow. I guess I have been away from scanning longer than I thought. I was used to just punching in a frequency and away we went. Now I see tower frequencies etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.