TwoToneDetect New TwoToneDetect in the works - Python based

DC31

Feed Provider
Hi All,

I've been running V65 "forever" but decided to try V70 on my brand new PI-3 B+ using raspbian stretch since the new PI wont run MATE...(sigh)

I have two problems, I'm looking for help from the more experienced guys/gals out there...

Problem 1
Followed the updated instructions to install V70 on a clean Raspbian Stretch install. I used an autostart entry to get pavucontrol to load automatically but for the life of me I can't get TTD or TONESEDITOR to autostart at login. I tried rc.local, autostart etc but no luck. Double clicking the files starts them ok so thery are executable.

Problem 2
I can doubleclick on the desktop entry I created or on the actual files whether I put them in the TTD folder or right no the desktop and TTD and TONESEDITOR open just fine.
If I try try running either one form terminal I get an error "non-ascii character in line 2 but no encoding declared"

I suspect problem 2 might be the cause of problem 1.

Any Ideas?

Did you ever sort out problem #1? I have finally figured out (I think) how to get the TTD70 executable to start automatically. However, only from the command line, not the GUI version. If that would help, let me know.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I was pulling my hair out the last two days trying to figure out why. Windows did a sneaky update.

I was able to determine why this stopped working with the 1803 update:

There's a new Microphone Privacy Settings snap-in. Search "microphone privacy settings" and ensure that both "Microphone Access for the Device" and "Allow Apps to Access this Microphone" are both on. Then TTD opens perfectly.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've had the odd instance of TTD either outright crashing or just randomly locking up, which of course I don't realize until I see that I'm missing calls. Does anyone have a good way of restarting the program, say once daily? (I'm running on Windows BTW). I think I've seen discussion before of using task scheduler to stop and start the service? Or something along those lines anyways.... Open to any suggestions!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Just a thought about a future enhancement.... how about the option to send a periodic test email/text (likely just to the system administrator) just to indicate things are up, running and working as expected? Perhaps have a user configurable time period (daily, weekly etc). Might be kind of handy....

DC31

Feed Provider
If you setup a second redundant instance of TTD on a second computer (TwoToneDetect Redundancy | TwoToneDetect) you can configure it to email you whenever either goes down. As a less complex means of monitoring the computer, set up a Broadcastify feed and have it send you a text/email whenever it goes down.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thanks for the link regarding the redundancy... I'll take a look at that. As for the Broadcasitfy feed, I do run one.... from the same PC. Doesn't help me though when TTD crashes.

DC31

Feed Provider
Thanks for the link regarding the redundancy... I'll take a look at that. As for the Broadcasitfy feed, I do run one.... from the same PC. Doesn't help me though when TTD crashes.

Sorry, i am not much help on TTD running on Windows. I haven’t owned a Windows computer in over ten years. My linux units on the raspberry pi’s each have a programmed daily reboot. They will also lock up if running continuously. Someone should be able to steer you toward how to do it on Windows.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm kind of thinking about that route too... I've got a Pi3 sitting here idle, looking for a job. Might tinker with that this weekend and see if I can get it up and running in the Linux world.

DC31

Feed Provider
I'm kind of thinking about that route too... I've got a Pi3 sitting here idle, looking for a job. Might tinker with that this weekend and see if I can get it up and running in the Linux world.

That pi3 could serve as the redundant backup unit to your Windows setup.

jared449

Feed Provider
Some pages coming in late

Hello all, we have been using TTD at our fire station for a few years now, and are currently using a raspberry pi. We have been getting along really good for the past several months, but recently some of the pages don't come through to our phones for sometimes several hours after the page, even though TTD says the emails have been sent. Yesterday, we had 2 pages 2 minutes apart for the same call. The first page came in as a MMS within a minute. The second page audio was about an hour later. Any ideas what may be causing the delay?

ffryan76

Feed Provider
Hello all, we have been using TTD at our fire station for a few years now, and are currently using a raspberry pi. We have been getting along really good for the past several months, but recently some of the pages don't come through to our phones for sometimes several hours after the page, even though TTD says the emails have been sent. Yesterday, we had 2 pages 2 minutes apart for the same call. The first page came in as a MMS within a minute. The second page audio was about an hour later. Any ideas what may be causing the delay?
If they were Verizon customers there was an "outage" recently that caused delays in text messages. This most likely is the cause.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nawfire

No Luck Yet

Did you ever sort out problem #1? I have finally figured out (I think) how to get the TTD70 executable to start automatically. However, only from the command line, not the GUI version. If that would help, let me know.

Thanks DC31.

I've managed to get it to run from the command line too, but still no luck on the GUI.
I've got it running on an old windows netbook for now. I'll probably take the easy way out and pick up an older PI so I can use my MATE again!
Thanks!, Doug

davidVT

Feed Provider
Nawfire,
I have a test script for you to try if you are trying to run 70 on a new Pi. Are you interested?
Ironically this seems to only work with GUI not command line.
My test box at home has been running for almost two weeks.
It is a systemd script.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ke4ldu

Two Tone Detect

I will be setting up a raspberry pi with TTD. I currently have a PI running for broadcastify. My question is will I be able to make the TTD start running automatically after a power failure?

nated1992

I will be setting up a raspberry pi with TTD. I currently have a PI running for broadcastify. My question is will I be able to make the TTD start running automatically after a power failure?

Yes you can do this but it's not as simple as it is on windows, if you google for info on starting programs in linux on startup there are some tutorials

northernsummit

Feed Provider

There is a launch.sh script that is run out of crontab and takes care of this already