TwoToneDetect New TwoToneDetect in the works - Python based

johnmac

Feed Provider
OK - My first page came through. It decoded, recorded and converted to mp3 and emailed properly. Also only received 1 email. But, after that the program froze. I just re-started it, will see what happens.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I installed it on my Win7 machine and it works just fine. Now I need to try it some time on my firehall machine (which is either XP or 98, I forget which) and see if I can get it to behave there.

EDIT: Is there a place to change "This is an email sent with python"? That's gonna confuse my recipients. :)

aaknitt

Feed Provider
I installed it on my Win7 machine and it works just fine. Now I need to try it some time on my firehall machine (which is either XP or 98, I forget which) and see if I can get it to behave there.

EDIT: Is there a place to change "This is an email sent with python"? That's gonna confuse my recipients. :)

Yeah I'll try to get that out of there in the next release, I keep forgetting to yank it :lol:

asmith136

I have this running and I found that the email audio sounds tiny or has an echo. this is on the same computer that I had the Two Tone V24 running with no audio problems. When do you think the Tone offset feature available? Do you think you can add a feature that would stop the recording after a set time that there is no audio and send the email and use the record time as a Max timer. This way if the message is short the email will go faster and if its long message it will continue to record.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
asmith136 said:
I have this running and I found that the email audio sounds tiny or has an echo. this is on the same computer that I had the Two Tone V24 running with no audio problems.

Are you sure you're using the same sound card/audio settings that you were using in the past? It might be a little hard to tell since V24 didn't actually show which inputs and outputs you were using, it just enumerated them. I suspect you may be getting feedback through the sound card audio path during recording, but that's just a guess.

asmith136 said:
When do you think the Tone offset feature available?

It's lower on the priority list, but won't be too difficult to add. In the meantime you can manually adjust the tone frequencies in the config file or just widen the threshold. I had to widen mine to about 3% to catch some of the local tones here.

asmith136 said:
Do you think you can add a feature that would stop the recording after a set time that there is no audio and send the email and use the record time as a Max timer. This way if the message is short the email will go faster and if its long message it will continue to record.
This would be hard to get right, since if a dispatcher pauses partway through a dispatch it could terminate the recording, which wouldn't be desirable.

Andy

wscott

First, I just wanted to say that this is a great program and please continue the great work. I recently set up v40 and was sending some tests through. The system functioned perfectly multiple times. The only issue that I see is that the audio records at a slightly faster speed than the actual message.

johnmac

Feed Provider
Update on my testing. I have v.40 running on two separate computers, Computer #1 seems to be working OK with no freeze-ups. There was a problem this morning with an error.(See attached text file, error is at the bottom of page) I believe this may have been a multiple tone situation, but not sure. I am monitoring a large dispatch center, but only using a few of the tones.

Computer #2 crashed overnight and now TwoTone will not load. This is mostlikely a problem with my computer as I have had issues with it in the past. I will download the program again and see if it will start.

This is a fantastic program, keep up the great work.

Attachments

• Error.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 589

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Update on my testing. I have v.40 running on two separate computers, Computer #1 seems to be working OK with no freeze-ups. There was a problem this morning with an error.(See attached text file, error is at the bottom of page) I believe this may have been a multiple tone situation, but not sure. I am monitoring a large dispatch center, but only using a few of the tones.

Computer #2 crashed overnight and now TwoTone will not load. This is mostlikely a problem with my computer as I have had issues with it in the past. I will download the program again and see if it will start.

Interesting error. Two possibilities here. First, it looks like you may have an email address you're trying to send to that's missing a .net at the end?

Also, It looks like your email provider may only allow one connection at a time. This could cause problems in a stacked page situation if the first email isn't done sending by the time the second one gets fired off. If you have a gmail account, I'd suggest trying sending with that and see if it clears up the issue. If connection limitation is a problem for a lot of people, I may need to rethink how the emails are sent after recording. Right now multiple email connections are set up in different threads, but I could figure out a way to process sending the emails in series rather than simultaneously if needed.

Andy

asmith136

If I make changes to your TwoToneDetect40.py file how do I convert it to a .exe/application?

johnmac

Feed Provider

Computer #1 - I checked all the email addresses in the config and tones cfg files. They were all complete. I had to restart the program and all is working OK again.Will wait for another set of stacked tones that go out together and see what happens.

Computer # 2 is definitely a problem with the program not seeing the sound card all the time, it took a few tries to get it started. The error message appears for a nano-second in the cmd window and then shuts down, so I am not sure what the problem was. As I stated earlier it may be my computer and not your program. Any way to hold those error messages so we can read them?

Is there any way to auto delete the wav file after the mp3 file is created, so there are not duplicates and also save disk space?

I need to be in front of the computer when there are stacked tones to see what is going on, I just can not see how it would work properly as once the first A/B tone is received the program starts its process.

Will keep updating my experiences!!

John

aaknitt

Feed Provider
If I make changes to your TwoToneDetect40.py file how do I convert it to a .exe/application?

First you need to have Python installed on your computer. Then there are a number of "add-on" packages you need installed, such as Tkinter, NumPy, and others. Then you use a tool such as Pyinstaller or Py2exe to create the exe file. I can put together a list of required packages when I get a chance.

Andy

aaknitt

Feed Provider
johnmac said:
Any way to hold those error messages so we can read them?

Instead of double clicking on the EXE file to start the program, open a terminal window, go to the directory where the program resides, and run it from the terminal window. This should let you see the error.

johnmac said:
Is there any way to auto delete the wav file after the mp3 file is created, so there are not duplicates and also save disk space?

Yeah, that's on the to do list, and it will be trivial, just need to get around to it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy

aliby19

Feed Provider
I'm getting the following error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 61, in <module>
  File "E:\Python\build\pyi.win32\TwoToneDetect4\outPYZ1.pyz/ConfigParser", line
 322, in get
ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'Section1'

I do have a config.cfg with [Section1] as the first line (and am using the config.cfg file from the latest TwoToneDetect40.zip). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

aaknitt

Feed Provider
I'm getting the following error:

Code:
  File "<string>", line 61, in <module>
  File "E:\Python\build\pyi.win32\TwoToneDetect4\outPYZ1.pyz/ConfigParser", line
 322, in get
ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'Section1'

I do have a config.cfg with [Section1] as the first line (and am using the config.cfg file from the latest TwoToneDetect40.zip). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

hmmm...not sure what that might be, can you email me your config file?

Planning to have v41 out tomorrow with some new tweaks and GUI additions.

Andy

aaknitt

Feed Provider
v41 Released

I just posted version 41 to SourceForge here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/twotonedetect/files/v41/

Version 41 Release Notes:
- Added "playback during record" option to GUI
- Changed subject of sent emails to "Page Received"
- Added tone offset feature to config file
- Added audio level meter
- Added audio threshold control to GUI
- Added status and history displays to GUI

Let me know what works and what doesn't!

Thanks,

Andy

Trexer

Premium Subscriber
Getting an error

File "<string>", line 90, in <module>
File "E:\Python\build\pyi.win32\TwoToneDetect41\outPYZ1.pyz/ConfigParser", lin
e 351, in getint
File "E:\Python\build\pyi.win32\TwoToneDetect41\outPYZ1.pyz/ConfigParser", lin
e 348, in _get
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: '.4'

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Getting an error

It looks like it's trying to read an integer value from the config file but the value isn't actually an integer. Take a look at the audio_threshold parameter in the config file and make sure that the value is an integer (round number) between 1 and 100. It looks like you have the value set to ".4". Try changing it to 1 and see if that fixes the issue.

Andy

Trexer

Premium Subscriber
Indeed that was the problem. I was using the value from the old version of TwoToneDetect which was a decimal value.

Looks like it is working great now and detecting properly.

Great work and much thanks.

asmith136

Is there a way to make the program have an option to record in mono or stereo? I found that recording in stereo the mp3 files sound better. I had changed the old v24 from labview to record in stereo and found the emails and mms messages sound really good.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
v42 Released

Just released v42, which is just a bugfix of a math problem in v41. If v41 isn't giving you any problems, probably no rush to upgrade, but if you've been getting a math error this may solve it. Next release will have some improvements to config file editing through the GUI.

I can look into stereo recording, that should be pretty simple.

Andy