• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Unication G1 Tone Voice Pager

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
I was just curious if anyone was familiar with the new Unication G1 tone Voice pagers.
It is a relatively new brand to the Public Safety market (even thought they are big in the digital paging market already; they do a lot of the round red pagers that you find in the restaurants, etc.)
It look like it's a very nice little unit, and a whole lot different from what has been on the Emergency Services scene. Just wanted to ask and see if anyone has any experience with these yet. Thanks!

qball

Premium Subscriber
The G1 is a pretty cool unit, and it offers a lot of flexibility from what I have read. I would like to know more about the whole system.

You mentioned new to the public safety market... Actually, you may already carry one of their pagers. They manufacture the Motorola branded pagers (i.e. Minitor 5 and Advisor II).

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
I am interested in these as well. I recently handled one at a recent fire conference and it looks like a very promising replacement for the Minitor V's. I'm on a waiting list to get a demo unit sent to me. I'll let ya know how it works for us.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I like them. They brought some demo units into our agency to show us, and we are extremely interested.

The fact that they can be programmed with EVERY dispatch channel in the state, and broken up into multiple zones, so that our people can scan whichever zone of the state they're in is a really attractive feature. Right now, our unit's mobiles are programmed that way, but generally the officers only carry portables with the channels for the region that they're assigned.

That doesnt really help during fire season when we're everywhere in the state, instead of just one region.

Also, if we get the upgraded ones with the GSM/GPRS radio as well, we dont have to carry a blackberry or smartphone just for back and forth texting between dispatch and field units.

brian86

Database Admin
Unication G1

The Unication G1 is a very good pager and since I have become a dealer for them 80% of my business comes from the Unication Pagers. The departments that use 100% conventional communication systems benefit the best from these high quality pagers. I know I have sold well over 150 Units since April with no complaints.

If you are interested in the features and a detailed overview you can watch my youtube video about the Unication G1 at Unication G1 Voice Fire Pager Review & Features - YouTube

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE: I went ahead and got a G1, and it is hands-down the BEST voice pager out there! The G1 is without any doubt the 'new generation of voice pager' as I've seen advertised around at different places. I truly believe as more people and agencies discover these units that it is going to very quickly become the 'the' pager on the market! Anyone who uses tone voice pagers owns it to themselves to contact a dealer and get one of these units to demo. Once you get one of these units in your hands, it will sell itself!
The RF reception is superior, the features are just about limitless, and it can be highly customized to do just about anything you can think of.
And the ability to label channel names, tone set names, etc. puts the G1 in a class all it's own.

vittles04

Premium Member
I love it, the only thing is I was sent a yellow one which I don't like. I am on 2 departments and a dive team so zone separation is great and I put my GMRS repeated in there as well to monitor and now with MDC CALL FEATURE I can be called and monitor my repeater. When the GSM model is released I will need to pickup one of those for sure. If anybody wants a yellow one let me know I will make a small discount available so I can pickup the all black :)

Sent from my iPhone

One13Truck

Feed Provider
The Unication G1 is a very good pager and since I have become a dealer for them 80% of my business comes from the Unication Pagers. The departments that use 100% conventional communication systems benefit the best from these high quality pagers. I know I have sold well over 150 Units since April with no complaints.

If you are interested in the features and a detailed overview you can watch my youtube video about the Unication G1 at Unication G1 Voice Fire Pager Review & Features - YouTube

I just finished watching the video not too long ago and this looks amazing. I do have a few questions that should hopefully be easy to answer though. Would it be better to send you a PM here or on the FB page?

vittles04

Premium Member
I have now used mine for about 2-weeks and I have some feedback for people. The websites say the battery lasts 70 hours which I figure is in selective call mode not scan or monitor. I first received the unit and let the batteries charge for 24 hours straight and my pager is almost dead by 6pm if I would remove by 7am. I am looking into new battery options. Also the batteries are like the MIV. I loved the monitor MV due to ease of changing. This unication unit requires 2 screws to be removed which are delicate and seem that they can be easily stripped so be careful and screw hand tight. The screws I assume are needed because this unit is water proof so you are sealing the units battery area. It's more of an inconvenience but oh we'll. I am around water a lot so ill but up with it cause waterproof is a great feature. Mine is yellow which I was told is the only color but I have seen black but I can deal with that as well.

I do absolutely love this unit ! Stores voice works great and to be able to go through and see per department is awesome. The on duty off duty function works superb and that makes for a happy wife as close out department tones to just county all page and dive team. Having the ability to the majority of the IFERN channels was great. This pager is well worth the money !

Sent from my iPhone

powerlineman

I have now used mine for about 2-weeks and I have some feedback for people. The websites say the battery lasts 70 hours which I figure is in selective call mode not scan or monitor. I first received the unit and let the batteries charge for 24 hours straight and my pager is almost dead by 6pm if I would remove by 7am. I am looking into new battery options. Also the batteries are like the MIV. I loved the monitor MV due to ease of changing. This unication unit requires 2 screws to be removed which are delicate and seem that they can be easily stripped so be careful and screw hand tight. The screws I assume are needed because this unit is water proof so you are sealing the units battery area. It's more of an inconvenience but oh we'll. I am around water a lot so ill but up with it cause waterproof is a great feature. Mine is yellow which I was told is the only color but I have seen black but I can deal with that as well.

I do absolutely love this unit ! Stores voice works great and to be able to go through and see per department is awesome. The on duty off duty function works superb and that makes for a happy wife as close out department tones to just county all page and dive team. Having the ability to the majority of the IFERN channels was great. This pager is well worth the money !

Sent from my iPhone

I had the same battery issues with the Watchdog pager. I loved the pager but batteries wouldn't last a 24 hr shift.

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
The price, depending on who you buy a Minitor 5 and what options you have it, are competitive. The G1 comes stock with ALL options (scan, second channel [and 62 more] and 16 minutes of voice recording standard; NO options to buy.
And Unication is running an incentive right now where if you buy a new G1 pager and trade in any make/model of working voice pager you get $75 off. That would definitely bring the price of a G1 down below a M5.
The stock batteries that come with the G1 are good batteries. Nice thing about it is that as it uses 2 AAA batteries, so you can not only use any rechargeable AAA with it, but also use alkaline AAA's for times when power (to recharge) is not available. Talk a look around Amazon or E Bay and get the highest capacity you can find, just check user feedback on what you're looking to buy (there are some cheap/crap batteries out and about)
The G1 will use more power if you use it to monitor, and a bit more if you scan with it, but my experience has been that overall battery life is very good. Even in scan mode I am getting 40+ hours (actual use time) between charges. And the stock charger allows you to keep a spare set of AAAs charged outside of the pager, so you can always have a charged back up set ready to go.

If you have any further questions about the G1, please PM me.

Last edited:

vittles04

Premium Member
Interesting my G1 on a full charge and straight of the box batteries were on the charger non stop for 24 hours only lasts about 10-12 hours tops. The mode is selective call non scan. However that is just a bummer I love this pager 100% I have ordered different high capacity batteries hopefully that will help.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
Have you talked to the dealer that you bought the unit from? It won't hurt. You might have a bad battery (even if the other one is good, it will effect your run time). It happens occasionally (a bad cell out of the box).
Unication is a great company to deal with, they really have the end user's interest first and foremost.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
This thing sounds pretty amazing! How much does programming equipment run for? I may buy one since I do a lot of monitoring everything as well as using my pager. It sounds pretty good to me. I may see if my dept can get a demo unit to try it out.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
The only negative I can see is the programming kit is about half the cost of the pager itself. But for what can be done with this pager at a price cheaper than what I've seen for new Minitor V's it's still worth it to look into in the next few months. Unless I can luck into a PSR-800 at a "reasonable" price first. So looks like this will be first. LOL

Larryfire26

Premium Subscriber
G1 Pager

I have one and it is a great Unit, EXCEPT!!!!!
The only issue I have at the moment is the frequency spread.
We need 460-484 and it only goes from 465.000 485.000 in the programming,

If this unit cannot go from 460-484 then it is pretty much not an option to keep this unit or even purchase anymore.

Most fire XB repeaters operate on 460-485 rendering this pager not an option, as you would in effect need 2 pagers!

I would hope they can fix this in software as it is only a receiver and 5 Mhz lower will really nor degrade the reception.and They would sell so many more units! What were they thinking!
Programming is straight forward and the software needs a lot of upgrades as it is very basic.
Battery life last all day not an issue
Audio is excellent, allows for ctcss and you can even program in MDC for even more options.

In my Honest Opinion, Until they address the frequency spread issue I would wait and see before going out and buying one .

Status
Not open for further replies.