New Uniden BCD536HP AMWUB375

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Interesting comments. If it does NOT have a touch screen I am unlikely to purchase it! While I rarely use either of my HP-1 in the car, I don't find the touch screen on my add-on GPS to be a problem, in fact I use it a LOT to reprogram and have never found it to be a problem. The remote head for my 996 would be a problem if I actually tried to "READ" the data while mobile. The screen is TOO small and to monochromatic and lacks important information that the HP-1 screen has. No the important features for any modern device is: COLOR; TOUCH SCREEN; FONT larger enough to read at a glance. I believe the Uniden engineers know this also and expect the next scanner will not be a throwback to 20 year old technology. [that's my opinon, your mileage may vary].

I would not mind a touch screen either but my concern is if it gets out of adjustment. I had a TomTom GPS that the screen went out of alignment and I could never program it right again. If it was NOT in a homepatrol setup, which I fear it is, then I will buy one. I have not liked what I heard about the HP and want to program a scanner myself.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I know I will get crap for saying this BUT, the new scanners will be worthless to me and some in my area who need to decode DMR and it's BS encryption. I will not be running out to get another scanner UNTIL these are made standard. I went and blew 5plus hundred dollars on the HP-1 and four months later some half as salesman went around to the counties around me scaring municipalities into going MOTOBRO. What a waste of money just to hear the FD's after that.I could have kept listing to on my analog scanners.

I will also be too busy to run to the announcement on the 16th since on the 15th a real $500 plus toy will be here........My PlayStation 4.

......just sayin!

bigcam406

its funny you mention that about salesmen and their sales pitches that bilk our local municipalities out of millions for the sake of encryption,as its happening in my area.it was announced last year that my tax dollars are going to help pay for a 48.5 million dollar radio changeover for first responders,even fire is going to be encrypted.3 other regions that im capable of scanning have already switched,or are in the process of switching to an encrypted system.sorry for being off topic,but you make a great point.no need to rush out and buy one when it will be useless in a year or so.back to regular scheduled programming.....

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
That looks like a "A" USB jack (like the scanner is a PC). ??? Now we'll be able to use a mouse on our scanner?

If that's the case, it could interface with most modern GPS units that have USB. Unless GPS is built in, of course.

petrol88

There is no standard for USB and GPS. GPS standard is NMEA 0183 and it says serial (RS422). So, I think no way to be compatible with anything except a dedicated GP$ acce$$ory de$igned for the $canner (no Garmin or Magellan). Besides, most of the GPS I've looked at (car navi-type) only use GPS to update the maps. No output of actual location data.

So, I go back to, probably a mouse. :)

garys

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that the form factor is conducive to a touch screen. At least not if they intend to keep the DIN mounting option. Given the limitations of that size chassis, a touch screen would be difficult to use while mobile.

Of course like the rest of you, I'm just guessing and will know a lot more on November 16. I hope.

gmitch

ok guess i will throw my 2cent worth in ( if i missed someone else saying it ) its a moble verison of the home patrol , and if I'm correct / put my name on the " i want it list "

Could be. The HP in BCD536HP = Home Patrol? It's either Home Patrol or Halloween Prank :)

SquierStrat

I don't think that the form factor is conducive to a touch screen. .

see, thats kinda what i was thinking too. (and hoping). I wouldnt be surprised if kayi4cle was close, if not spot on. A regular scanner with full control/functionality from its keypad, with the entire database also on board. I also have a feeling we'll be able to record audio with our new unidens.. Seems like the perfect mix of a BCD and an HP.

garys

Premium Subscriber
see, thats kinda what i was thinking too. (and hoping). I wouldnt be surprised if kayi4cle was close, if not spot on. A regular scanner with full control/functionality from its keypad, with the entire database also on board. I also have a feeling we'll be able to record audio with our new unidens.. Seems like the perfect mix of a BCD and an HP.

I think the features might end up being more interesting than the hardware. Uniden certainly knows what people want, it's a matter of if they can provide it. Or some of it at least.

The only thing that I'd bet any amount of money on is Phase II audio processing. Every thing else speculation and hoping.

Personally, I'd hope for other digital audio modes and better P25 audio.

And of course the built in coffee maker. :wink:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I would like to ask Paul to make an online video stream, or at least a high quality recording of the presentation (not such a terrible quality as with the presentation of HP1).
Uniden HomePatrol Launch Part 1 - YouTube
Hopefully, the announcement will be an open event, as with the Home Patrol. I went to the HP-1 announcement, and if possible, would attend one for this unit (if held here in the DFW area).

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Personally, I hope they do not do anything with DMR. If they put everything into Phase 2 and improving the decoding of simulcast sites, that's all that is needed.

I don't think anyone needs to put resources into doing DMR. Around here, pretty much every agency was sold on the idea of encryption in DMR. As such, most DMR was encrypted from the start. This is a stark contrast to P25 public safety systems, which typically have more unencrypted traffic than encrypted traffic.

Plus, too many people have been too lazy to learn how to listen to DMR the hard way. They ought to get their hands dirty and do it using DSD rather than begging somebody to put it in a scanner, complain about the fact that the scanner costs $150+ more just because it supports DMR, and then complain because they can't monitor DMR because the agencies are using encryption.

Phase 2 and simulcast decode improvements. That'd make me happy.

Mike

lep

In my HP-1 I use a 5 sec delay on most channels. The delay is adjustable and has been for many months after the initial complaints.

One13Truck

Feed Provider

Something like this would be fantastic. But I'll skip the coffee maker. I can get a coffee anywhere but a toaster added on? Now that would have me buying the second it's available. Nothing like being able to have a good piece or three of toast or English Muffins for breakfast while still in bed. LOL

MarkWestin

I think that the fact that the BCD536HP has a USB port should make some people quite happy. It really doesn't make much difference to me. Everyone seems to be guessing as to what type of USB connector the new unit has. At this point there is no way to tell. If you look at both the "FCC Label" drawing and at the BCD996XT Back photo shown above, the BCD996XT shows and the drawing appears to show a plastic cover on the RS-232 GPS/Remote connector. It stands to reason that the USB port in the drawing would also show it with a plastic cover on it. This conveniently conceals what ever type of USB connector is installed, which at this point, could still be subject to change before the unit goes into production.

Mark

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
If that's the case, it could interface with most modern GPS units that have USB. Unless GPS is built in, of course.
Based on what Paul has said a few times already, the USB will not be for interfacing with a GPS. They do not want to try/it is not reasonably possible to try and make the scanner be a USB host for the GPS units. As you can see it retains the Serial connector for GPS interface. Willing to bet it is for GPS in, not out.

I would speculate the USB might be for one or more of: Programming, External storage for recording, or Audio out to PC (since there appears to be a lack of Record out jack like other DIN/ISO form factor scanners).

Status
Not open for further replies.