New User from New Palestine, IN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbranch

Premium Subscriber
Hello folks,

It appears the rebanding has crippled my poor old Uniden Bearcat/Sportcat scanner for much of what Hancock county uses. I'm looking at getting a RS Pro-164, based off what I can read about the scanner and from my research on Hancock County Indiana freqs in the database on here, I think it'll pick up all the public safety, skywarn, lifeline air traffic that I used to get.

I've read all the love/hate reviews of the Pro-164, but I'm interested in hearing anyones opinion of it on here.

It looks like Hancock County Indiana is using the Safe-T Motorola Type II SmartZone OmniLink, Analog. Can any body with more experience in this advise me whether that scanner would pick up what I want to pick up or not?

Thanks in advance,

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Rebanding hasn't crippled your Sportcat scanner.

What has happened is that they have migrated to the SAFE-T system for most of their public safety communications. You should be able to listen to some public safety (VHF fire paging, aircraft, pubic works, etc), but the majority of their communications are on the SAFE-T system.

Public safety transmissions on this system are digital, so you'll need to upgrade to a P-25 capable digital scanner. Each manufacturer has their own bells and whistles, so you'll have to decide what's best for you.

Uniden: BC396XT, BC996XT, or Home Patrol HP-1
GRE: PSR-500, PSR-600, or PSR-800
Radio Shack: PRO-106 or PRO-197

I would not go with the PRO-164 for your area.
While it is a fine scanner (I own one), it will not decode the P-25 audio being used by most agencies.

Suggest the local Radio Shack for their models, Fry's Electronics in Fishers for Uniden/GRE, or The Ham Station down in Evansville (ask for Jeff).

Hope this helps.

K9WG

Pro-106 / GRE PSR-500 is the way to go if you want to receive Greenfield PD, Hancock Sheriff, Hancock fire. All these are on SAFE-T digital.

(If you get one of these I'll be glad to program it for you. I already have the Hancock talkgroups setup)

rbranch

Premium Subscriber
Kind of leaning towards the GRE PSR-500 from what I'm seeing. Heading up to Fry's later today to see what they have in store. Appreciate the offer to program it for me definitely! Although I want to take a stab at it myself first, if I botch it I might hit you up.

Thanks,
Roger

rbranch

Premium Subscriber
Okay so much for finding the GRE PSR-500 at Fry's in Castleton, guess I'll go with the RS Pro-106 if I want one relatively quickly. K9WG I may just take you up on the offer for the initial programming just to get it up and running. I can play around with learning the PC software side of programming it at the same time while studying for my tech license.

I appreciate all the help and advice offered up to me.

K9WG

... snip ... Appreciate the offer to program it for me definitely! Although I want to take a stab at it myself first, if I botch it I might hit you up.

Thanks,
Roger
I strongly suggest you get one of the PC programs to do the programming. While you can do it manually it is not the easiest way to go especially with the Hancock rebanding. I use PSREdit500 but the other program is also good. If you need any assistance just give a shout.….. :p

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
I strongly suggest you get one of the PC programs to do the programming. While you can do it manually it is not the easiest way to go especially with the Hancock rebanding. I use PSREdit500 but the other program is also good. If you need any assistance just give a shout.….. :p

I would definitely agree with this...

Also, welcome to Radioreference!!!
You've come to the right place!!!

Sincerely,
gr8rcall

rbranch

Premium Subscriber

I think you helped me find this site and programming info for the Uniden Sportcat a few years back. I checked your Bio on here and yep sure enough haha. Thanks again Rich!

Roger

rbranch

Premium Subscriber
@K9WG Thank you for all that you provided, all I can say is WOW and Thank You! To the operators of this site, you should be proud of having such a helpful and patient group of knowledgeable users on here. I am thoroughly impressed every time I log in here!

Status
Not open for further replies.