New vers. Remanufactured

Status
Not open for further replies.

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
Guess this should go to UPMAN....
I purchased a scanner which was sold as new never used, but appon opening the box,i noticed the packaging had been opened, and the scanner had wear marks and a film on the rubber nibs on the side of the scanner (BCD396xt) My question is this.; is there a way to identify returned scanners? Do they add a designator to the serial no or anything to Identify those that have been returned for problems etc.? I do see a differance in the Serial nos that are on the scanner under the batteries, and the no that is given by the softwear. The softwear no is much longer.

Hope you can help on this one...Feel i've been ripped...

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Where was it purchased? ebay? an actual store? Return it to where you purchased it.

How does the serial number differ? The software/menu may give an ESN# that IS different then the serial #

example...
serial # 359z18001234
ESN # 35926018001234 or something not even close 35926864744238 (for the 396T's).

trkntrlrman

RS-PRO 34, RS-PRO 60, BCD396XT, BCD996XT, SDS200
Premium Subscriber
The seller is back east, and was a seller on Amazon. It's a long story and they have been fairly ok about what has transpired they have refunded the shipping, etc, but the point being I ordered NEW, and feel I got something other than that. I'm just trying to verify my findings. the Serial nos are close and like you said it may be the ESN: no, I think it was used as a demo, for how long i don't know, but there is sufficient wear on the rubber nibbs to show use. and the white film around them is deffinatly from something.
Also the plastic bag that the scanner is wrapped in was opened, not taped shut like all the other Items. Where is CSI when you need them??? hehehehhe

Attachments

• P9230687b.jpg
    P9230687b.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 487
  • P9230688b.jpg
    P9230688b.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 450
  • P9230686b.jpg
    P9230686b.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
If the unit wasn't sealed, then it's not new. Which doesn't mean that it's refurbished, it just means that someone took it out of the package for some reason. Refurbished units come packed like new units, and they only way you know it is refurbished is that the seller told you and that refurbished units only have 90 day warranties.

If someone sold you this unit as new, but it looks used, they sold you a used radio as new. Personally, I'd either want a substantial rebate, an exchange for a new unit, or a return authorization and full refund. If the seller isn't willing to do one of those three things, I'd complain to Amazon. If I had paid using a credit card, I'd notify the credit card company as well.

As I said, if the unit was sent back to Uniden and refurbished, then it would be packaged identically to a new unit. To the best of my knowledge, having bought some refurbished units from Uniden, they do nothing to the serial number.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If the unit wasn't sealed, then it's not new. Which doesn't mean that it's refurbished, it just means that someone took it out of the package for some reason. Refurbished units come packed like new units, and they only way you know it is refurbished is that the seller told you and that refurbished units only have 90 day warranties.

If someone sold you this unit as new, but it looks used, they sold you a used radio as new. Personally, I'd either want a substantial rebate, an exchange for a new unit, or a return authorization and full refund. If the seller isn't willing to do one of those three things, I'd complain to Amazon. If I had paid using a credit card, I'd notify the credit card company as well.

As I said, if the unit was sent back to Uniden and refurbished, then it would be packaged identically to a new unit. To the best of my knowledge, having bought some refurbished units from Uniden, they do nothing to the serial number.
This sounds somewhat similar to a scanner one of my co-workers bought through an Amazon seller. She had been asking me some questions on what she needed to listen to her city, as well as the surrounding ones, and whether she needed a digital scanner. I gave her the basic details, and a few days later, she told me she had ordered a 396XT though an Amazon Marketplace seller for $300.00. That raised a red flag with me,

What she received a few days later was not a 396XT, but a 396T. Now, granted, it was in excellent cosmetic shape, but it was not an XT. Came only with the scanner, standard duck antenna, ac adapter & batteries, but no SMA/BNC adapter, & no pc cable. This supposedly was a 'like new'.

I explained the differences; she'd seen my XT, since I usually carry it on my commute, & keep it handy on the side of the cubicle when we're expecting severe weather to move in.As the 396T would do what she wanted, she contacted the seller, who claimed 'they did not realize there was a difference'. Yeah, I'll bet. Bottom line, they refunded her shipping, & also part of the purchase price (I believe at least $25), which put her cost down in the range where I've seen good condition 396T's move on the resale market.

It does what she wants, so she's happy. She could care less about NAC codes and multi-site, as long as it monitors her city & the ones aoround it, which is not a problem. Wish I knew, for sure, the name of the seller.

Danny6569

Refurbished scanner and used Scanners

Dont ever try to save a few dollars on a scanner by buying scanners from ebay and other junky websites its not worth it!!! buy them from a good place like scanner master or some other good straight company, if so youre gonna get just what youre paying for, a broken piece of junk that youll probly never get a refund on!

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Amazon itself is a reputable seller (if you buy the item directly FROM them). When you buy an item through Amazon from a third party seller, Amazon is basically just the "order taker" but they still guarantee the items.

Amazon.com said:
Ordering from Amazon Merchants

Amazon Merchants and Marketplace sellers are independent sellers* who offer a variety of new and used merchandise. When buying from a seller, your order is fulfilled directly by the seller, who also handles all customer service. You pay immediately, online, using Amazon.com. The vast majority of Amazon Marketplace and Merchant orders are covered by the A-to-z Guarantee.

Good Luck :)

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm!

By Law, a business (not a private individual) is required to state that an item is refurbished. If they sell a refurbished item as "new", it is completely illegal. Now, having said that, the burden of proof if someone does not do so, falls on the buyer. By this I mean that you have to do the leg work yourself if it is not obvious that the item is refurbished. Maybe not in your case, but I have seen some refurbished items repacked in such a good manner that they could pass for brand new. I would definitely look into your states' better business bureau or something if you want to take it further....

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.