• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

(New Version) ANYTONE 6666 Pro

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
IMG_5361.jpeg

2.0” smaller case dimensions than Q5/QT60.
An easier fit for mobile.

Now with, Noise Reduction Circuitry.
Digital Signal Processing across RX & TX audio.

Previous version favored for SSB.

This radio meets “Best Available CB” status as with ARES, QT60 or Washington being AM/FM/SSB/NRC with adequate RF power. VOX & Scan. Add DRX-901 speaker.

Last edited:

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
View attachment 163217

2.0” smaller case dimensions than Q5/QT60.
An easier fit for mobile.

Now with, Noise Reduction Circuitry.
Digital Signal Processing across RX & TX audio.

Previous version favored for SSB.

This radio meets “Best Available CB” status as with ARES, QT60 or Washington being AM/FM/SSB/NRC with adequate RF power. VOX & Scan. Add DRX-901 speaker.

Any reason you like the QT60 over the Anytone 5555N2? I can say I wish the n2 had the weather channel frequency programmability that the Ares has.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Any reason you like the QT60 over the Anytone 5555N2? I can say I wish the n2 had the weather channel frequency programmability that the Ares has.
I think of them as same. Not aware of differences. Q5/QT60. Can’t go wrong with them or others mentioned above. (Q5 is in my big truck). I’d buy from Scott’s Radio to have guardian angel look it over, first.

AT-6666PRO has size advantage. New RX. Last I’ve seen is release in July according to AT.

The strong awareness of how poor are maybe 90% of radio rigs on-road — mainly installation practice — drives my opinions. NRC changes performance so much for the better that I hope operators will follow thru on the rest (clean power + 60” permanent antenna + HQ speaker).

Then one has a 21st Century radio rig, not a NOS Reagan-era left-over.

Performance is everything when one has only seconds of leeway at high speed. To Hear, and to Get Heard.

Last edited:

niceguy71

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
What's gained over the Q5? Not being a smart A$$... Just genuinely don't know

Well, I wouldn’t notice if one had weather channel and the other didn’t.

It’s usually not a Ford vs Chevy thing in CB.

Open manuals and compare.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
From another forum there’s one who’s savvy enough the factory has him run use-tests. His comments are that — unlike the Lincoln 2 — the PRO is frequency-stable to the point that digital modes are well-supported.

While I barely know what that constitutes, my experience with QT5 is that it’s a leap past my 3-yr old L2 such that I regret having to use the latter in my pickup until budgeting eases. SSB is a revelation was all I needed to experience past the effectiveness of NRC with QT5.

QT5 is supposed to be updated similarly.

Washington is provided with Automatic Relay and a comment by another is that simplex repeaters will be popping up.

I’m beyond my remit in the above — posted for the more knowledgeable to investigate and comment — but I’m certain that today is the best time in decades to work through the details of a great 11M mobile or base radio rig based on the extensive hours of my mobile use.

The PRO looks like a winner in this vein.

Mobile Install Bible
Work these details

The line between what Amateur demands and 11M “wants” is fast fading. Giving up transparency is a severe mistake, IMO, when remedy is available. In this is my experienced opinion resolute when the roads have grown more dangerous than at any time since Americans hit the highways in the 1950s.

Unknowing, uncaring, selfish, stupid. All apply.
IMG_3659.jpeg

SSB-quality and other features reinforce this performance increase.

An NMO34b + WD640b + bspring at roof-center, coax upgrade, and use of a NANO-VNA to check all components as the final pieces mean performance far superior to the day just passed that wasn’t available without prohibitive expense. (If that).

A set of ears which can decipher what’s 15-miles away is a pearl beyond price. 3-5/miles with separation between voices — with regularity — is what’s necessary.

The pleasure, then, of ordinary exchanges just went sky-high which keeps one on-air.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior

Pre-order now @ $299.99

Where smallest external dimensions matter.
So be careful where installed as it’ll run hot for the motor-mouths (no free lunch). Add fan?

Setting to modify AGC?
That’d be cool! (Service menu).

10, 11, 12 & 15M capable.

For CB: as with others, set menu-items then leave alone to operate while mobile as front panel controls do the rest (except dimmer).

Significant changes from previous Quad-6, not just NRC.

I’ll be curious to see what mic matches up best, and how TX Audio compares to others. This radio has always had a fine RX reputation for the guys who love SSB.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
10.00” Long

6.25” Wide

2.00” High

15A w/modulation.

Mobile Power

That’s 10-AWG to power 20A circuit at less than .5 Volt Drop at dead-key for 20’ or less circuit length.

ANCOR Marine Grade 10/2 Duplex is $3.00/foot at retail store level. POS (fused) to BATT, and NEG to closest DC Ground (or BATT NEG fender post). Step-down, insulated & adhesive-lined heat-shrink butt connectors from 10/12 to 14/16-AWG to splice close into power cord, IMO.

Some extra length to wrap a few turns thru a fat toroid, ANCOR terminations plus maybe a cable gland to get thru firewall or a distribution panel, etc . . . 12V power starts at above $50 to build a factory-type harness and one needs a $100-bill set aside for tools/supply additions before system devices are added (if desired/needed) to be reasonable

You’ll be above $50 is the point. Don’t skimp.

A great set of ears needs dead-quiet 12V power. Radios like this need XHD low-resistance power to be at their best when things get hot & heavy in traffic.

Ask specifics on the install sub-forum.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
IMG_1207.jpeg

When it’s time to start slowing a 40-ton juggernaut is not the time to start experiencing decreased radio performance due to heavy use.

Two miles out from a 75-MPH pile-up underway and things are going to get bad instantly a good ways back from the initial site.

AT6666-PRO looks like it’ll be an easy install fit, but to keep RX/TX best will need $$ spent on power & coax systems.

RF/CMC Filter highly recommended same reason as with quiet 12V.

All new coax versus the cheap crap PACCAR or Freightliner installed is first step for that system.

All the backup radios and panicky peons on-air means the last efforts needed to hear the one sane guy has MM & proper details that you can avoid then re-route.

New coax + filter + install (if not DIY) will get past $200, fast.

Best external speaker mounted in proper location is another $60. Less than this is undesirable. After all, you’ll be hearing (comprehending) what you never realized was possible.

This radio — plus supporting systems — won’t reach its potential until about the $700 mark assuming proper antenna mount details are also attended.

New radio & new antenna is 1989-spec.
Those, plus best systems, are what’s needed for 2024 performance . . which blows 1989 out of the water (any radio in use bought thru 2022 without NRC).

Payback as business expense is first bad road incident. Moneymaker every foot farther.

I figure annual use at 300-days with 2,000-hours of radio monitoring. Spread out over years & years it ain’t “expensive”.

Last edited: