New Win500 Client for Android!

Status
Not open for further replies.

visegrip72

I got a deal on a Pro-197. Looked into Win500 and liked it. Saw the info on the remote protocols, but was sorta surprised there were no android or ios apps yet.

So, I wrote one! It is still in the "alpha" stage. I displays the LCD, sends key commands as well as listens to both the compressed and uncompressed audio. I would have been done a few days earlier, but the compressed GSM formatting was more of a challenge than I'd like to admit. The software also has the ability to have local and internet settings. So, if you are home, it can use the wifi, if you are out, your public IP/hostname. Then a checkbox to choose which one.

It still has some work to be done, but it functions nice now. I need to add the LCD icons (signal strength, indicators, etc), make sure the layout works for all size screens nicely, and some other minor stuff. There's other stuff I may want to do, but low on the priority level.

Is there still a market for this software? Honestly, I would like to recoup some funds used in writing the software, and maybe make a little bit of money. I really hate ads, and have no plans on putting them in the software.

See attachment for screen shot, pretty much very basic interface, but I think I rather a simple plain interface for something like this.

Attachments

• win500Client.jpg
    win500Client.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,411
Nice boss!
Bump for taking the initiative and bringing solutions to the table!

As far as the name,,you could always just go with App500 or something like that..I wouldnt stress it seeing how its not even released yet..

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So this is going to be similar to the yet to be released Siren App for the Uniden 536, but for the 197/500 and GRE equivalent?

visegrip72

Yes, I am communicating with Don, great guy. He has a copy of the app now too. He also has answered a few questions I had about the protocol used. Hopefully this app will bring him some more sales too!
I would like to port it to iOS eventually. I first want to get this one all squared away.
I will be sending a few people beta copies to test, but I want to first finish taking out some of the more obvious areas of non-error checking and other stuff first. I used less than desirable error checking at times to just get the app working quick, now I have to go back to those and take care of them. One example, if you clicked on a button to send a command, and you were not yet connected, the app died. That's fixed, but there are a few others like that I want to be taken care of.
I have not looked into the siren app, but if it basically adds a remote control to it, yes. This works on both the the 197/500 desktop and mobile versions, basically any scanner win500 works with.
There also is a bunch of stuff needing to be done just to put an app in the store, even if all other functionality was perfect. It may be simple stuff, but looked a bit busy. Nothing saying I cannot do more widespread testing before hand if I think it is too much.

Im hoping there will be a way to purchase separately from win500...As I already have purchased win500 ..This sort of this may get me to buy another psr500 just to play with it!

"So this is going to be similar to the yet to be released Siren App"

Yet to be released,,More like yet to be created...lol...This app actually exists!

Again,Great work VISEGRIP!

E-Man

Banned
Fantastic! Now I will able to get the one feature I was most interested in the epic fail 536.

Can't wait!

visegrip72

Right now, it is planned to be separate purchase from the main app, I really have not gotten into those details yet
This app talks with Win500 - not the scanner. Win500 is what talks to the scanner. This uses the last tab (Monitor/Control) on the Win500 program.

visegrip72

UPDATE -
There are 3 beta users out there right now. Waiting to hear back on any major issues. I think even with any issues, an initial version should be good to go within a month (mainly that long cause family vacation coming very soon).

E-Man

Banned
Thanks for your work, look forward to the release. Enjoy your vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.