New Win500 Client for Android!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarmFamily

Premium Subscriber
Nice job OP!! Sitting here updating my 500 with Win500 as I type this, just updated my 800 and wanted to give the 500 some love.

Visited the Win500 site a moment ago and saw a minor .06 to .07 update, then saw the old Pocket PC download there, and thought "how cool would an android version be?"

And I wound up here!! Cosmic!!!

Anyhow, I'd love to give some beta feedback, and if I'm too late, I'll be first in line to throw some spendin cabbages at you for the release version! Either way I'm really excited and glad you picked up the ball with this, can't wait!

Thanks to you, and an obligatory thanks to DonS, whom without I can't imagine where some of this would be (or not be, as the case dictates!).

Looking forward to the progress my friend!

hfam

rylvir

Feed Provider
Excellent!!!

Great job so far. This is actually a project I have been hoping someone would tackle. Very much looking forward to purchasing this app.

visegrip72

Quick update, I think it is just about ready! I'm putting on some final touches and have some more testing to do. The streaming is working perfect, I have the display nicer on all screens now (I think). Not Super fancier, but nicer. Behind the scenes is what really matters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-20-00-22-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-20-00-22-06.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 638

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The progress looks promising. I am interested in an iOS version if/when it is developed for iPhone and iPad. Happy to beta test as well. My cellular data account is unlimited, so happy to give it a really good test there. I use the Win500 client at work and enjoy the control of my radio at home. This would be a wonderful tool to complement that.

visegrip72

I have not really even started a bit on iOS yet. I plan on at least seeing if it can be done, the compressed audio is tricky. It may be easier, but could be a lot harder.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
the compressed audio is tricky. It may be easier, but could be a lot harder.
It is that unknown which kept me from putting any effort toward developing an iOS app. I have not even reviewed the bit rate of the compressed versus the uncompressed stream, nor the codec. To put it simply, I appreciate any effort you put towards this.

visegrip72

Should we assume it will also work
with the GRE PSR-310, PSR-410?
They both use Mr. Starr's Win500 software.

Yes, It should be working fine with these as well. It really only talks to StarrSoft's win500, so if there is some new scanner that is put out with the same stuff as the others, and StarrSoft's win500 can play it, there is a good chance the android app will work. These scanners are a bit different than the rest of the win500 compatible scanners. Don clued me into these having an extra LCD line in the display. That code is written and should work fine. I tested it with simulated data, but not a real 310/410. If anyone wants to PM me a hostname/ip and port number for me to hook into their scanner, I'll officially test it asap.

Full public release is pretty much ready except one detail I want to ensure is perfect. Other than that, it is working great and ready.

On a personal note, I have something that text's me when something major happens in my area. That ability, StarrSoft's win500, and this app combined is really cool. I can be in anywhere and start listening to exactly the channel I want to. The sites on the "scanner radio" app are great, but you are at the mercy of the owner as to what to listen to. When we were on vacation, I received a text about a structure fire. I was able to hook in and listen to the events as it I was still in range. I was able to hook in and be listening before half of the trucks left their station (and they leave pretty quick!). I'm looking forward to sharing this with everyone. Hopefully within days (if not sooner!)

Here's a final screenshot (there's an option to hide the stop button and that will center the F keys if you prefer that way - I don't use them rather the button than a menu/stop, but the option is your's):
scanning.jpg

BobbyDuke

Premium Subscriber
Yes, It should be working fine with these as well. It really only talks to StarrSoft's win500, so if there is some new scanner that is put out with the same stuff as the others, and StarrSoft's win500 can play it, there is a good chance the android app will work. These scanners are a bit different than the rest of the win500 compatible scanners. Don clued me into these having an extra LCD line in the display. That code is written and should work fine. I tested it with simulated data, but not a real 310/410. If anyone wants to PM me a hostname/ip and port number for me to hook into their scanner, I'll officially test it asap.

Unfortunately RadioReference and I are disagreeing at the moment and I can't send you a PM. Probably a spam lockout or something. Just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my Win500 info

visegrip72

Unfortunately RadioReference and I are disagreeing at the moment and I can't send you a PM. Probably a spam lockout or something. Just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my Win500 info

I think there is something with your account, as I cannot send you a PM either.

Check this:
Click "User CP" on menu bar above thread title
Click "Edit Options on the left side menu
Make sure "Private Message" options are enabled.

BobbyDuke

Premium Subscriber
I think there is something with your account, as I cannot send you a PM either.

Check this:
Click "User CP" on menu bar above thread title
Click "Edit Options on the left side menu
Make sure "Private Message" options are enabled.

Yep! It's enabled. I made a mistake anyway, I thought you just wanted another scanner, not a 410 with the fifth line...oops.

Hey VISEGRIP..
where is your app going to be available?
google Play, your own site..Here thru RR forums?

Is it going to be a standard APK installable?

Oh,,And are you close to release?..Im looking at getting
another 500 round weeks end..Just because of Your new
app! You Rock,Your giving us what the buyers of the Uniden
x36 radios have been waiting for...

Ummm,,,Upman,,Maybe you ought to hire VISEGRIP to get your
app done!..

Again,Thank You Sir! Im in AAAAW status!

-Anxiously Awaiting Android App Win500...

visegrip72

The software will be just an APK on a website. Quite honestly, the "google play" and others have many restrictions and added fees that make it just not worth the effort. For example, apple requires $99/year just to be able to list software for free.

The software is ready to be released and is right now being quietly sent to a few people here or there (pretty sure I sent everyone on this post a message). I want to be 100% sure everything is working as planned before full release. I think it should be properly announced within a few days, if not sooner.

dornier

Premium Subscriber
My cable is plugged in and my Galaxy S5 are ready to go on my Pro-197! Just can't wait to try it. Thanks for the app. By the way, if you need another set of eyes and ears for the app, please let me know.

Thanks again Visegrip72,

George

Status
Not open for further replies.