New WinXX versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"Standard" versus "what" type of commport? Since the software is free to try, you might just do it and see.

digitizing

"Standard" versus "what" type of commport? Since the software is free to try, you might just do it and see.
Standard (com1/com5) versus driver direct access that win500 use.
I have try it and it always say that no ftdi driver found.
I use usb to ttl cable with prolific chipset.
It works with other software like psredit.
But I prefer to use win500.

RonnieUSA

Standard (com1/com5) versus driver direct access that win500 use.
I have try it and it always say that no ftdi driver found.
I use usb to ttl cable with prolific chipset.
It works with other software like psredit.
But I prefer to use win500.
With the Prolific driver You have to use Win500_COM, it's the only one that will work.

Mike_G_D

If I'm understanding the OP's question correctly - it is possible to use WIN500 with a standard serial (RS232) port. When you download and unzip the program files a separate exe file is included for this; the standard Win500.exe uses only USB but the Win500_COM.exe uses the RS232 port (assuming you actually have one on your computer - most newer PC's don't anymore). So you would just use the Win500_COM.exe program instead of the standard Win500.exe.

-Mike

digitizing

I just try to use Win500_COM.EXE, it work flawlessly.

I have read this om the WIN500 web.

Note to Linux users: If you need to access the USB/Serial cable as a 'COM port' under Wine, you can run the Win500_COM.EXE executable. The only difference between it and the Win500.EXE file is how the program accesses the cable (COM port vs. directly to driver).

I though it just for linux user,
so i disregard that.

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's been almost 2 years since he last updated Win500 for one,and since he also rarely comes here anymore,I kind of suspect he no longer has any interest in any of his products...

D

DaveNF2G

The current software business model has trained people to expect released software to be buggy and therefore subject to constant updating.

Rather than get it right the first time, the "professionals" ship something that sort of works as advertised and start raking in the dough as soon as possible. This is followed by patches, bug fixes, upgrades, or whatever they call the constant stream of corrections to the mistakes in the original product.

Stable software seems outdated because there are no "updates" needed.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN500

There are plenty of things in WIN500 that could be updated. Cut and paste is not as clean as other WINxx programs, the delay setting and hit count operates in a goofy manner, moving entries up and down is slow, and the methodology used for numbering objects is unnecessarily problematic; just to name a few.

Stable and working in the most user-friendly manner are two different things. I'd like to see a mechanism (web link, etc) to report bugs, issues and desired features. But I can see there is no financial incentive to update a program which each user already has a license for with no expiration. The only way to make more $$$ is to sell to new users. With GRE production shut down, that is not likely.

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
Does this software record scanner traffic to an audio file saved to my local disk on the computer?

I got my answer in another thread. Thanks :)

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
kelltara... really wish you'd started a new tread or download the demo and find out! Now everyone will think that there's a new update to WINxx program. If I'm out of line...sorry.

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
That's because I tried the demo quite a while ago and it has long expired. I won't be able to run it again. The home page for the software said to ask any questions here as opposed to emailing the author.

RonnieUSA

New Build Of Win500, Version 2.07

Discovered a new build today.

Revision History

Version 2.07 2014.04.01 16:35 (GMT -0700)
Added "default model" selection when creating a new .P500 file. Note that this only affects the "Welcome Text" on the General Settings tab; since you're almost certainly going to change this field from the default, it really doesn't matter what you select here. That is, you can just click OK (or press ENTER) and edit the field the way you want.

SOFA_KING

Any Plans for a WIN800 or WIN1080?

Don, I recently came to the conclusion that I need a WS1080 for logging Unit ID's and TG's on conventional P25 frequencies. It is my understanding that the scanner will "record" the UID, but not the NAC, if you were searching NAC as well. But the scanner has another plus for us federal searchers that it also records UID on encrypted transmissions. That alone is enough for me to want this scanner. I just wish there was logging software like WIN500 for it. I love WIN500 on my GRE scanners. You make great software!

Do you have any plans to write software for the WS1080? If so (and I hope so), these are the items I would like to log:

- Frequency
- NAC (and PL or DPL)
- UID
- TG
- RSSI (if possible)
- Time/Date
- LAT/LON (if possible)

On the LAT & LON idea, I would like to see this used with maps, where hits are plotted with RSSI values (maybe color coded from cold to hot signal strength) and can be displayed for review. This would go a long way to help identify where signals on a particular frequency are coming from, or at least what areas a frequency is used (like simplex direct frequencies). Maybe even a way to "play" a time lapsed "movie" of the signal strength and where you were when you encountered it.

It is my goal to locate TX locations (with software assistance to make it manageable while driving a car) so I can start programming Location Control on systems to reduce unnecessary memory channel scanning, thus save precious scan time as I travel around.

Thanks,

Phil

burgman

Okay wow plenty here to read. Correct I have the Win 500 program on my computer here at home. I had a GRE500 scanner which now is gone. I now have a radio shack Pro 106.

First I want to dump out all the objects I have in my Win500 program. I want to erase everything in the program and start from new.

Next I want to upload all my objects in my Pro 106 scanner to the Win 500 program.

From what I have read so far I need to look at my screen in my scanner to do some of the work. Is this correct? I thought there would be a step by step manual in the Win 500 program but I didn't see one.

I don't want to lose any of the objects I have in my scanner as then I will need to get another clone. So I want to make sure I do this right.

Thanks
Les

RDGDigital

As long as Win500 is communicating with your scanner all you need to do is select from the menu "Scanner>>Download from Scanner" (or press Ctrl+D) and follow the prompts.

With Win500 every time you upload or download your programming, the receiving side gets overwritten with the sending side. E.g., If you download from the scanner into Win500, then Win500 will lose all programmed information and will now only have what was in the scanner. And, in reverse, if you upload form Win500 into the scanner, then the scanner will lose all programmed information, and will now only have what was in Win500. It's completely destructinve either way.

This is why it's important to keep backups of your scanner's programming. That way if you need to make a change, you start with your backup, make your changes, and then upload everything to your scanner. You can't just add something to what's already in the scanner.

Hope this helps (and hope I didn't confuse you).

Status
Not open for further replies.